By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Pachter's explanation on where your 60 dollars goes

steverhcp02 said:
Damn, no wonder the 360 was able to turn its profits around for MSFT so quickly. With those publishing numbers for the big guns and then $12 bucks for all software on the software monster that is the 360.

If it really $12 per copy, MS could probably just wave their fees to appeal to developers.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

I had an account with a wholesale distributor about 7 years ago and I can tell you that retailers don't make anywhere near $12 on video games... This was when games retailed for $50 but the wholesale price for the games were around $47 so that was about $3 profit for retailers. Now big retailers might be able make deals with distributors because they buy in huge numbers so Wal-Mart might make $5 or more on games.

So basicly 20% to retailer, 20% to consol manufactor and 60% to publishers. Wow I didn't realise consol manufactors get that much money. So the next time Sony say there loosing money on each consol sold we know its a load of bullshit because they make that back on licensing

kitler53 said:
277,778 full price sales for every 10 million in investment to break even. So a big budget game like GT ($60M) would need 1.67M sales to break even.

wii games would need a few more (per 10 million in investment) since full price wii games are only $50. probably like 300-320k.

That's only for R&D.  There's also advertising/promotion (for which budgets regularly equal or exceed R&D even) and cost of goods/logistics (production, distribution, loss/theft, returns, etc).

A first party PS3 game would mean $48 to sony o-O

mM
Around the Network
kitler53 said:
277,778 full price sales for every 10 million in investment to break even. So a big budget game like GT ($60M) would need 1.67M sales to break even.

wii games would need a few more (per 10 million in investment) since full price wii games are only $50. probably like 300-320k.

Sony doesn't have to pay itself licensing fees, so they get $48 a game, thus requiring 1.25 million to break even with a $60 million budget.

The sales of Prologue are paying for that nicely.

geddesmond2 said:
So basicly 20% to retailer, 20% to consol manufactor and 60% to publishers. Wow I didn't realise consol manufactors get that much money. So the next time Sony say there loosing money on each consol sold we know its a load of bullshit because they make that back on licensing

I'm not so sure I wouldn't believe them. How many games actually sell numbers high enough to even begin to erode their insane r&d costs? I wonder if they'll even pay off the creation of the cell chip within the next 10 years?

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!

OMG... I was thinking more like

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

If Patcher says so, I believe :D

makingmusic476 said:
kitler53 said:

Sony doesn't have to pay itself licensing fees, so they get $48 a game, thus requiring 1.25 million to break even with a $60 million budget.

The sales of Prologue are paying for that nicely.

Well, you can't really convert that exactly as Prologue started out at $40.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.