By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Pachter's explanation on where your 60 dollars goes

jarrod said:
MonstaMack said:

For once I think Pachter is right. Retailers do get a good chunk ($12 seems fair) for each game. I think with a 50 million dollar budget a game should easily break a million or more (if not It would be a flop, wouldn't it?) but it makes you wonder how much the average Wii game costs, or games like Deadly Premonition. Obviously not every game costs the same to make.

I work in retail and the mark up % did account to close to $12 profit per game. I think it was around $4 for a $20 game, so that means budget games have to sell a lot more or actual be budget in budget development costs (lol). So I hope Deadly Prem didn't run them much.

Does he also factor in price cuts? I mean if the game drops to $40 it has to obviously sell more to make up for the difference.

Average multiplatfom HD game R&D budget: $15-30m, AAA HD games regularly exceed $40m

Average Wii game R&D budget: $5-7m

Average budget for GC/PS2/Xbox games last gen: $3-5m

For AAA HD games, typically advertising budgets match or exceed development budgets.

And a few random R&D budgets...

• Gears of War: $10m (no engine/tech costs, built "for free" alongside UE3)
  • Red Steel: $12m
  • Spore: $35m
  • Gran Turismo 5: $60m
  • Grand Theft Auto IV: $100m+
  • Modern Warfare 2: $40-50m ($200m advertising budget)

I just wonder where did you get access to these numbers, I'm curious as I'd like to find out few more game budgets.

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

Around the Network

I'm guessing like publishers and authors and record labels and musicians there are lots of different deals depending on the developer's reputation and even the specific IP.

I's say with CoD: MW2 Activision paid IW the full development costs up front, plus there was probably a bit of a % of gross sales on top.

An indie dev isn't going to have their full dev costs paid up front because the publisher isn't going to be sure they are going to make on the deal, so they will be making the dev take some of the risk. The Publisher will pay a bit up front bit most of it will be drip fed as the sales receipts come in. What's important for the indie dev is that the Publisher will have an agreement that if the game achieves a certain level of sales then the next game will be a better deal for the dev.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Squilliam said:
It goes something like this:

$12 Console maker
$12 Retailer
$30 Publisher
$6 shipping, packaging and handling as well as returns.

why should console maker get the money if they didnt make the game?

pizzahut451 said:
Squilliam said:

$12 Console maker
$12 Retailer
$30 Publisher

That's just how the games industry works, and explains both why PC games are cheaper, and why MS and Sony are willing to sell their hardware at a loss. If you want to make a game on a console, you have to pay to do so

pizzahut451 said:
Squilliam said:

$12 Console maker
$12 Retailer
$30 Publisher

because they make the console the game is on.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network

NFL teams spend 6 months getting ready for games, playing players to practice, updating their stadiums, and don't make very much money until they start playing games.

It's just economics. Yes, it makes sense to do it this way. If they want to put out a game on someone's console, they have to take risks. Sony, and Microsoft have to take HUUUUGE risks in putting a new console out. The risks they take make the risks devs take pale in comparison.

Chairman-Mao said:
Wow $12 to the retailer that's crazy. Also I didn't think it was as high as $12 to the console manufacturer.

what are you talking about? 12 dollars is nothing, considering how many failed games are sitting there in the store warehouse. They have to sell 5 copy for each copy that is not sold to break even.

to me, there is nothing 'crazy' about it.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
scottie said:
pizzahut451 said:
Squilliam said:

$12 Console maker
$12 Retailer
$30 Publisher

That's just how the games industry works, and explains both why PC games are cheaper, and why MS and Sony are willing to sell their hardware at a loss. If you want to make a game on a console, you have to pay to do so

PC games are starting to cost the same as their console counterparts.

i also heard that sony wants 3 dollar more money from third party per copy than ms

Fedor Emelianenko - Greatest Fighter and most humble man to ever walk the earth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVVrNOQtlzY

aragod said:
jarrod said:
MonstaMack said:

For once I think Pachter is right. Retailers do get a good chunk ($12 seems fair) for each game. I think with a 50 million dollar budget a game should easily break a million or more (if not It would be a flop, wouldn't it?) but it makes you wonder how much the average Wii game costs, or games like Deadly Premonition. Obviously not every game costs the same to make.

I work in retail and the mark up % did account to close to $12 profit per game. I think it was around $4 for a $20 game, so that means budget games have to sell a lot more or actual be budget in budget development costs (lol). So I hope Deadly Prem didn't run them much.

Does he also factor in price cuts? I mean if the game drops to $40 it has to obviously sell more to make up for the difference.

Average multiplatfom HD game R&D budget: $15-30m, AAA HD games regularly exceed $40m

Average Wii game R&D budget: $5-7m

Average budget for GC/PS2/Xbox games last gen: $3-5m

For AAA HD games, typically advertising budgets match or exceed development budgets.

And a few random R&D budgets...

• Gears of War: $10m (no engine/tech costs, built "for free" alongside UE3)
  • Red Steel: $12m
  • Spore: $35m
  • Gran Turismo 5: $60m
  • Grand Theft Auto IV: $100m+
  • Modern Warfare 2: $40-50m ($200m advertising budget)

I just wonder where did you get access to these numbers, I'm curious as I'd like to find out few more game budgets.

God Of War 3: $44m (with engine)

Uncharted 2: $20m

Infamous: $40m+ (with engine)

MGS4: less than $60m (with engine)

Thats the few i know

Fedor Emelianenko - Greatest Fighter and most humble man to ever walk the earth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVVrNOQtlzY