By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will Wii outsell PS2?

When will Wii outsell PS2?

2010 1 0.26%

2011 8 2.08%

2012 37 9.61%

2013 57 14.81%

2014 55 14.29%

Never 227 58.96%

Total:385
Mummelmann said:
I don't think it will, never have and still don't. To assume blindly that it'll have three or more 20 million + selling years is very naive and all I see in this thread is assumptions that need several years to proven wrong or correct.
No consoles are immune to declining sales and selling at a a fast pace does not automatically equal selling for a long time, anyone with a tad of insight into markets of any kind could tell you as much.

So, let me get this straight; anyone who votes "never" are delusional fanboys who are only acting upon silly wishful thinking? What a mature standpoint from some of you. Even the mighty DS is taking a plunge (yes, a plunge, 20% + down yoy this years so far). There is, at this point, nothing delusional, or even unrealistic, about claiming that the Wii probably won't outsell the PS2, it appears more and more likely as it fails to attain the somewhat lofty hardware sales predictions in here time and time again, I missed my own 2009 prediction by around 6-7 million units (overshot it, that is) and I was being on the moderate side of things.

Anyone who votes 'never', without giving a sensible reason as to how they believe the Wii will go from being nearly 20 million above, aligned launches, to below the PS2 should NOT be taken seriously.

You are predicting a huge change, we are predicting that events will unfold like they always do. Unless you can justify your wild claims, we will continue to think of you as delusional fanboys, yes.

Why do you believe the Wii will stop selling, when do you think the PS2 will catch up with the Wii? (launches aligned obviously)

Around the Network

Never

I voted, Never, but it still might have a chance. The next nintendo console could hurt its sales, and I have a feeling that ninty is bringing out a new console real soon. So I just don't see the Wii pulling off 20mil+ years for the next 3-4 yrs. PS2 is also still selling, setting the bar higher every month.

I'm not saying its impossible, just a higher chance of it not getting there. I really don't care though. The Wii has made its mark in history, whether it outsells the PS2 or not, no one is going to really know besides for the people who follow sales.

Just because the Wii is selling at a faster pace doesn't mean it will outsell the PS2, calling us delusional fanboy is just dumb. For all we know, It could drop off at a faster pace too. we're talking 3+ years here, anything is possible.

scottie said:
Mummelmann said:
I don't think it will, never have and still don't. To assume blindly that it'll have three or more 20 million + selling years is very naive and all I see in this thread is assumptions that need several years to proven wrong or correct.
No consoles are immune to declining sales and selling at a a fast pace does not automatically equal selling for a long time, anyone with a tad of insight into markets of any kind could tell you as much.

So, let me get this straight; anyone who votes "never" are delusional fanboys who are only acting upon silly wishful thinking? What a mature standpoint from some of you. Even the mighty DS is taking a plunge (yes, a plunge, 20% + down yoy this years so far). There is, at this point, nothing delusional, or even unrealistic, about claiming that the Wii probably won't outsell the PS2, it appears more and more likely as it fails to attain the somewhat lofty hardware sales predictions in here time and time again, I missed my own 2009 prediction by around 6-7 million units (overshot it, that is) and I was being on the moderate side of things.

Anyone who votes 'never', without giving a sensible reason as to how they believe the Wii will go from being nearly 20 million above, aligned launches, to below the PS2 should NOT be taken seriously.

You are predicting a huge change, we are predicting that events will unfold like they always do. Unless you can justify your wild claims, we will continue to think of you as delusional fanboys, yes.

Why do you believe the Wii will stop selling, when do you think the PS2 will catch up with the Wii? (launches aligned obviously)

Where have I said that the Wii will suddenly stop selling? Declining and stopping all together are two different things, don't put words in my mouth please. The PS2 had an unusually long life due to the incredible 3rd party support, installed base and of course tremendous lead it had over the competition. The Wii has yet to gain 50% marketshare (and by the looks of it never will) while the PS2 had 60-70%+ at the end and all along in the race, it also came off of a strong foundation as far as 3rd parties and hardware trust was concerned from the original PS (as opposed to the Wii-GC connection). All online communitites laughed at the notion that the Wii would ever need a price cut to keep the momentum (even the grand Malstrom himself snickered at the very thought) and yet, there it was last fall, a significant price cut that didn't even spurr things along until NSMBWii came along and helped. You should also note, to get an idea of the difference in 3rd party support, how many of the Wii's best sellers are 1st party compared to the PS2 (hint; the Wii's top 20 is utterly dominated by 1st party). A lot of Nintendo fans on this site seem to harbour illusions of an invincible force in Nintendo, almost like the playground kids who are sure that their dad is the strongest man in the world. And, yes, Sony fell on their asses this gen and everyone knows it (which was good for the industry, I do not support monopolies).

This generation will be cut far short of ten years, the entire site (me included) seem to believe that the next generation starts around 2012, at which point 3rd parties will start moving on (they didn't from the PS2 right away and are even supporting it now) from the current generation hardware (and, please, don't give me that "but the Wii has great 3rd party full support", that's a load of bull). If anything, the 3DS shows that Nintendo are as ready to progress and start embracing newer tech as anyone else, which is good for us consumers in the end.

If you want to see me, and indeed the vast majority of this site as deluded fanboys (I know the PS3 tag under my name probably vexes you to no end despite me being a PC gamer at heart) then that's your problem and I really haven't seen anyone give any sound reasoning behind the belief of three or more years from here on out with 20 million + Wii sales. So tell me now; why will it sell 20 million for several more years? And don't show me graphs of aligned launches where it tracks above the PS2, I know all that and like I said above; the Wii is not the PS2 and the battlefield is a different one now than it was then.

PS: As for 2009 year end predictions; did you know that Crazzyman, the very symbol of delusion and lunacy in here, was a lot closer on his Wii predictions than the average user? You should also note that the most vocal advocates such as John Lucas have all but vanished and crept into their foxholes for quite some time since things haven't moved along like they claimed with such bravado and certainty. Don't be too sure of anything, this generation should have taught us that not everything follows the same conventions (the amazing flip flopping of the HD battle for instance, is unprecedented in console history) and you can't simply look at the past and blindly believe that everything will be the same. The Blue Ocean is vast, no doubt, but the winds abate like everywhere else (or change directions) and being a sprinter and a long distance runner are two very different things. As for me; I'm just a dude on the internet, like you and everyone else, so you might decide to not give a crap about anything I say and brush me off as a moron but don't be surprised if someone returns the favor (this does not mean I don't give a crap what you say, I obviously do, otherwise I'd hardly write this short novel).

If the 8th gen starts this year ( and it will with the new handhelds) It could die off before it reaches 140 million. But this gen was pretty damn different from previous ones, so who knows...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
scottie said:
Mummelmann said:

Where have I said that the Wii will suddenly stop selling? Declining and stopping all together are two different things, don't put words in my mouth please. The PS2 had an unusually long life due to the incredible 3rd party support, installed base and of course tremendous lead it had over the competition. The Wii has yet to gain 50% marketshare (and by the looks of it never will) while the PS2 had 60-70%+ at the end and all along in the race, it also came off of a strong foundation as far as 3rd parties and hardware trust was concerned from the original PS (as opposed to the Wii-GC connection). All online communitites laughed at the notion that the Wii would ever need a price cut to keep the momentum (even the grand Malstrom himself snickered at the very thought) and yet, there it was last fall, a significant price cut that didn't even spurr things along until NSMBWii came along and helped. You should also note, to get an idea of the difference in 3rd party support, how many of the Wii's best sellers are 1st party compared to the PS2 (hint; the Wii's top 20 is utterly dominated by 1st party). A lot of Nintendo fans on this site seem to harbour illusions of an invincible force in Nintendo, almost like the playground kids who are sure that their dad is the strongest man in the world. And, yes, Sony fell on their asses this gen and everyone knows it (which was good for the industry, I do not support monopolies).

This generation will be cut far short of ten years, the entire site (me included) seem to believe that the next generation starts around 2012, at which point 3rd parties will start moving on (they didn't from the PS2 right away and are even supporting it now) from the current generation hardware (and, please, don't give me that "but the Wii has great 3rd party full support", that's a load of bull). If anything, the 3DS shows that Nintendo are as ready to progress and start embracing newer tech as anyone else, which is good for us consumers in the end.

If you want to see me, and indeed the vast majority of this site as deluded fanboys (I know the PS3 tag under my name probably vexes you to no end despite me being a PC gamer at heart) then that's your problem and I really haven't seen anyone give any sound reasoning behind the belief of three or more years from here on out with 20 million + Wii sales. So tell me now; why will it sell 20 million for several more years? And don't show me graphs of aligned launches where it tracks above the PS2, I know all that and like I said above; the Wii is not the PS2 and the battlefield is a different one now than it was then.

PS: As for 2009 year end predictions; did you know that Crazzyman, the very symbol of delusion and lunacy in here, was a lot closer on his Wii predictions than the average user? You should also note that the most vocal advocates such as John Lucas have all but vanished and crept into their foxholes for quite some time since things haven't moved along like they claimed with such bravado and certainty. Don't be too sure of anything, this generation should have taught us that not everything follows the same conventions (the amazing flip flopping of the HD battle for instance, is unprecedented in console history) and you can't simply look at the past and blindly believe that everything will be the same. The Blue Ocean is vast, no doubt, but the winds abate like everywhere else (or change directions) and being a sprinter and a long distance runner are two very different things. As for me; I'm just a dude on the internet, like you and everyone else, so you might decide to not give a crap about anything I say and brush me off as a moron but don't be surprised if someone returns the favor (this does not mean I don't give a crap what you say, I obviously do, otherwise I'd hardly write this short novel).

Dude, that was just beautiful.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Arius Dion said:
NYANKS said:
scottie said:
KBG29 said:
It will be sad times in the world if the Wii continues to sell like it has once the 360 & PS3 are capable of everything the Wii can do plus so much more for $50 - 100. I can understand buying the system for some of the exclusive titles, but for people just looking for an entertaining device.

Wii - $149
360 +Natal - $199
PS3 +Move - $249

?

Wii sales have always been caused by the software, not the hardware. Natal and move will do nothing, unless Sony and MS start getting software released on their machines.

Note - to avoid starting a list war, I am talking about popular software, I don't care what games you or professional reviewers think are good. Unless Sony or MS can create software to rival Wii Sports, Fit Mario Kart and NSMB, then the Wii will continue to thrash them in terms of sales

You are kidding with that software pushing the console right?  Yes, Wii sports pushed acceptance and understanding of the controls, but without the controls, the Wii had no distinguishing trait or advantage against the PS3 and 360.  Because of the controls they also didn't need to take as big a technological leap as the other two.  I would say the Wii is the first console ever to sell based on hardware distinctions as opposed to software.  It just so happens that the defining software on the system (Wii Sports) was a very good vessel in introducing said control scheme. 

Contradiction ain't it? So Wii didn't sell because of software. But the defining software of the Wii and thus the 7th generation being Wii Sports is on the Wii. I'm sure there's no correlation.

You know, a lot of gamers need to get off this high horse. "Since I don't like this game it sucks" mentality. There is no way you can dismiss the impact a game like Wii Sports has had not just on the Wii but for gaming. Its pushed gaming into a whole other realm. A testament of this is the add on's being scraped together by the competition. You can believe what you want, but every week when numbers come games like UC2, ME2,FF, Heavy Rain, they go from being on the front page to being forgotten. Meanwhile games like Resort and NSMB and Wii Fit and MKWii continue to play musical chairs on the software lists. Staying there months almost years at a time. It is also no coincidence that Wii HW sales continue to sell at a faster pace because of this. You can yell price cut or 'casuals' at the top of your lungs, but the fact is NSMB has proven to be as big a pusher of HW as WS or Mario world were/are.

That is a direct contrast to the picture you are trying to paint. 

I understand it was defining and I actually complimented the game if you noticed.  My point is that this game only exists to show off the controls, and it could not exist normally.  Without the controls the game would be laughable, truly a demo.  With the controls, quite fun.  That's my point.

Mummelmann said:
scottie said:
Mummelmann said:

That is one amazing post.

Gets a thumbs up from me

Mummelman for President! Good summation, got the overall idea across rather well.

It has an unlikely chance to to it. But it matters not, since it already made more than what... triple (??) the money PS2 made in a third of the time

But, I do believe that with some heavy milking the wii can do this. But PS2 is old news. Passing the DS is the question we all should ask - and the answer is no.