By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will Wii outsell PS2?

When will Wii outsell PS2?

2010 1 0.26%

2011 8 2.08%

2012 37 9.61%

2013 57 14.81%

2014 55 14.29%

Never 227 58.96%

Total:385
KBG29 said:
It will be sad times in the world if the Wii continues to sell like it has once the 360 & PS3 are capable of everything the Wii can do plus so much more for $50 - 100. I can understand buying the system for some of the exclusive titles, but for people just looking for an entertaining device.

Wii - $149
360 +Natal - $199
PS3 +Move - $249

?

Wii sales have always been caused by the software, not the hardware. Natal and move will do nothing, unless Sony and MS start getting software released on their machines.

Note - to avoid starting a list war, I am talking about popular software, I don't care what games you or professional reviewers think are good. Unless Sony or MS can create software to rival Wii Sports, Fit Mario Kart and NSMB, then the Wii will continue to thrash them in terms of sales

Around the Network

How times have changed for some.

For me, however, Never never changed!

Get it?

scottie said:
KBG29 said:
It will be sad times in the world if the Wii continues to sell like it has once the 360 & PS3 are capable of everything the Wii can do plus so much more for $50 - 100. I can understand buying the system for some of the exclusive titles, but for people just looking for an entertaining device.

Wii - $149
360 +Natal - $199
PS3 +Move - $249

?

Wii sales have always been caused by the software, not the hardware. Natal and move will do nothing, unless Sony and MS start getting software released on their machines.

Note - to avoid starting a list war, I am talking about popular software, I don't care what games you or professional reviewers think are good. Unless Sony or MS can create software to rival Wii Sports, Fit Mario Kart and NSMB, then the Wii will continue to thrash them in terms of sales

You are kidding with that software pushing the console right?  Yes, Wii sports pushed acceptance and understanding of the controls, but without the controls, the Wii had no distinguishing trait or advantage against the PS3 and 360.  Because of the controls they also didn't need to take as big a technological leap as the other two.  I would say the Wii is the first console ever to sell based on hardware distinctions as opposed to software.  It just so happens that the defining software on the system (Wii Sports) was a very good vessel in introducing said control scheme. 

scottie said:

Actually, in the 3 generations Sony has existed, their 1st party outsold Nintendo's 1st party on home consoles in 2 of them.

Nope, they only did in one iirc (PS2 vs GC).  Nintendo sold more each other generational matchup (N64 vs PS, DS vs PSP, Wii vs PS3).

jarrod said:
Carl2291 said:

The main selling point of Ninty's systems is the 1st party support. If 3rd party support doesn't pick up and become like it was on PS2, i can't see the Wii having a life as long as the PS2 (or even NES, SNES, PSone).

Actually, I'd say GBA is probably the best recent touchstone for what to expect for post-successor Nintendo support.  It was the last popular Nintendo platform to get replaced, and had fairly excellent 1st party support (far better than it's 3rd party support too, which was similarly almost always lacking).

Nintendo published GBA games released after DS launch

• bit generations Series (2006) skip / Q-Games
  • CalcoBit (2006) ParityBit
  • DK: King of Swing (2005) Paon
  • Donkey Kong Country 3 (2005) Rare
  • Dr. Mario & Puzzle League (2005) Nintendo / Intelligent Systems
  • Drill Dozer (2005) Game Freak
  • Dynasty Warriors Advance (2005) Koei
  • EyeShield 21: Devil Bats, Devil Days (2006) 8ing
  • Final Fantasy IV Advance (2005) Square Enix / TOSE Software
  • Final Fantasy V Advance (2006) Square Enix / TOSE Software
  • Final Fantasy VI Advance (2007) Square Enix / TOSE Software
  • Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (2005) Intelligent Systems
  • Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (2005) Square Enix / Jupiter
  • Mario Party Advance (2005) Hudson
  • Mario Tennis: Power Tour (2005) Camelot Software Planning 
  • Mother 3 (2006) Ape / Brownie Brown
  • Nonono Puzzle: CheChai Alien (2005) Creatures Inc.
  • Oriental Blue: Ao no Tengai (2006) Hudson / RED
  • Pokemon Emerald (2005) Pokemon Co. / Game Freak / Creatures Inc.
  • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team (2006) Pokemon Co. / Chunsoft
  • Polarium Advance (2006) Mitchell Corp
  • Rhythm Tengoku (2006) Nintendo
  • Sennen Kaizou (2005) indieszero
  • Tales of Phantasia (2006) Namco Bandai / Namco Tales Studio
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (2005) Flagship / Capcom
  • The Tower SP (2006) Vivarium
  • Wario Ware Twisted! (2005) Nintendo / Intelligent Systems
  • Yoshi Touch & Go! (2005) Artoon

...I think Wii after Wii 2 (ie: fall 2011-ish and on) will probably be somewhat like this.  Lots of brand names, lots of collaborations and outsourced projects, lots of quirky niche experiments, maybe a 3DS multiplatform game or two and I think you can again expect to see Nintendo pick up some key 3rd party games for publishing themselves (like Dragon Quest X).  I see no real reason to assume that Nintendo will simply drop Wii software production immediately, that's never how they handle their successful platforms (NES, SNES, GBA)... this whole line of logic's backwards, if anything strong Nintendo support is exactly what ensures Wii will have a healthy wind down...

but how many game boy advances sold after they made the ds?  i thought the sales of the gba pretty much died after the the ds launch.

Around the Network
scottie said:
hollywood85 said:
scottie said:
RockSmith372 said:
scottie said:
RockSmith372 said:

And hollywood - this is a multinational corporation that has managed to dominate 3 of the 5 generations of home console it's been in, and all of the portable generations. They have some quite clever people there. The NES had a lifespan of over 20 years, and the SNES about 13-14 if I remember correctly

sweet now keep going, how long did the n64 last? how long did the gamecube last? how long do nintendo consoles last once a new model is launched?? I don't think nintendo will handle the wii like sony do the playstation........... which STILL gets new games.

I think once the 3ds comes out they will drop the ds.

Keep going you say? OK

The NES was a market leader, it lasted a long time

The SNES was a market leader, it lasted a long time

The N64 was not a market leader, it did not last a long time

The GC was not a market leader, it did not last a long time

The Wii is a market leader, it ...

Now how about you keep going, c'mon, fill in the blank.

Nintendo will keep selling the DS, and the Wii while people keep buying them. They would not discontinue it early. The Wii has enough evergreen titles to make it desirable, especially being as Nintendo will cut the price when the new console comes out.

Edit - sorry, I didn't answer one of your points - how long Ninty consoles stay on the market after their sequel is released

NES - released '83, discontinued '03

SNES - released 90, discontinued '03

N64 - released '96, discontinued '02

GC - released '01, discontinued '07

So looking only at the generation leader for Nintendo, the NES was discontinued 13 years after is sucessor was released, and the SNES was discontinued 7 years after. Lets take the average of that as 10 years, and assume the Wii 2 will release in '12, we can then predict that if Nintendo keep to their old behaviour, the Wii will be discontinued in 2022. Scary, huh?

Note, I don't actually think it'll still be out in 2022. But to predict it'll be discontinued any time soon is stupid, Nintendo stretch their consoles out for as long as they can

how many nes sales after 90?

snes after 96?

how many gc after wii?

how many gba after ds?

they might keep the software support but that doesn't mean they'll keep making as many of the machines.  They can make the next machine backward compatable make some software to go with it still but focus on the next platfrom and thus might not sell as many an ps2

sony probably should have had a similar strategy with the ps3.  keep them all ps3sbackwards compatable keep making ps2 games but drop the ps2

Wonktonodi said:
jarrod said:
Carl2291 said:

The main selling point of Ninty's systems is the 1st party support. If 3rd party support doesn't pick up and become like it was on PS2, i can't see the Wii having a life as long as the PS2 (or even NES, SNES, PSone).

Actually, I'd say GBA is probably the best recent touchstone for what to expect for post-successor Nintendo support.  It was the last popular Nintendo platform to get replaced, and had fairly excellent 1st party support (far better than it's 3rd party support too, which was similarly almost always lacking).

...I think Wii after Wii 2 (ie: fall 2011-ish and on) will probably be somewhat like this.  Lots of brand names, lots of collaborations and outsourced projects, lots of quirky niche experiments, maybe a 3DS multiplatform game or two and I think you can again expect to see Nintendo pick up some key 3rd party games for publishing themselves (like Dragon Quest X).  I see no real reason to assume that Nintendo will simply drop Wii software production immediately, that's never how they handle their successful platforms (NES, SNES, GBA)... this whole line of logic's backwards, if anything strong Nintendo support is exactly what ensures Wii will have a healthy wind down...

but how many game boy advances sold after they made the ds?  i thought the sales of the gba pretty much died after the the ds launch.

They sold about 22m GBAs after DS launch.  Not including iQue (China) figures which we've never gotten from Nintendo (though SCE includes SCEH hardware sales in their totals btw).  In 2007, GBA was selling competitively with PS3 according to NPD.

FUCK! i can imagine if it does outsell the ps2 in the future lol, there would be a big meltdown with fanboys lol

NYANKS said:
scottie said:
KBG29 said:

Wii - $149
360 +Natal - $199
PS3 +Move - $249

?

You are kidding with that software pushing the console right?  Yes, Wii sports pushed acceptance and understanding of the controls, but without the controls, the Wii had no distinguishing trait or advantage against the PS3 and 360.  Because of the controls they also didn't need to take as big a technological leap as the other two.  I would say the Wii is the first console ever to sell based on hardware distinctions as opposed to software.  It just so happens that the defining software on the system (Wii Sports) was a very good vessel in introducing said control scheme. 

Contradiction ain't it? So Wii didn't sell because of software. But the defining software of the Wii and thus the 7th generation being Wii Sports is on the Wii. I'm sure there's no correlation.

You know, a lot of gamers need to get off this high horse. "Since I don't like this game it sucks" mentality. There is no way you can dismiss the impact a game like Wii Sports has had not just on the Wii but for gaming. Its pushed gaming into a whole other realm. A testament of this is the add on's being scraped together by the competition. You can believe what you want, but every week when numbers come games like UC2, ME2,FF, Heavy Rain, they go from being on the front page to being forgotten. Meanwhile games like Resort and NSMB and Wii Fit and MKWii continue to play musical chairs on the software lists. Staying there months almost years at a time. It is also no coincidence that Wii HW sales continue to sell at a faster pace because of this. You can yell price cut or 'casuals' at the top of your lungs, but the fact is NSMB has proven to be as big a pusher of HW as WS or Mario world were/are.

That is a direct contrast to the picture you are trying to paint. 

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

jarrod said:
Wonktonodi said:
jarrod said:
Carl2291 said:

They sold about 22m GBAs after DS launch.  Not including iQue (China) figures which we've never gotten from Nintendo (though SCE includes SCEH hardware sales in their totals btw).  In 2007, GBA was selling competitively with PS3 according to NPD.

ok 22 mil is more than just died but depending on when the next nintendo console is launched a number similar to 22 mil might not be enough

i doubt people expect the wii to do what the ps2 did to the ps3 (outsell it for the first few years)