By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will Wii outsell PS2?

When will Wii outsell PS2?

2010 1 0.26%

2011 8 2.08%

2012 37 9.61%

2013 57 14.81%

2014 55 14.29%

Never 227 58.96%

Total:385

When will Wii outsell PS1 though? (102 Million) late 2011 I think.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Around the Network

In another 6 years, if Nintendo keeps on selling it so long, it would be easy. In another 5 years if its late years sales drop is small enough (and this could happen even more easily if Nintendo releases Wii2 late). In less than another 5 years it's quite difficult, not impossible, but hard.
Anyhow, Sony will keep on selling PS2 as long as sales hold, to make it as hard as possible for Nintendo, PS2 image is important.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Think of it this way, if it stays on the market as the leading nintendo console for another 4 years and sells at least 17.5mil a year (that's 70mil in 4 years), then it will outsell the Ps2. I think that it will accomplish that if there isn't a wii 2 or whatever they'll call it.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

NYANKS said:
killeryoshis said:
Kilzoned82 said:
2015 is the answer and its not even in the poll.

2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 should not even be in the poll. It has no chance of selling 70 million in: 0.75 years, 1.75 years, 2.75 years or 3.75 years. The second 70 million will take a lot longer than the first 70 million. 5 years+ is reasonable

Your saying wii is going to have a sharp decline from here on out? No just no. Its going to hit 70 million next week.
It will sell about 22 million this year, putting the ending total at 86 million, Its going to have anthor 20+ million year
in 2011, Which brings it up to 106 million, One in 2012, 126 million, Now its not even far what the PS2 has now which is
132 million. Its going to be 2013. Quote me on this

If shipped numbers of the PS2 are 140 million + like Sony has stated in January, is it reasonable to assume 8 million + PS2's are on store shelves? Just wondering, cause that seems like alot.

Edit: An asterisk in the article says theose numbers are actually from September 2009, not Janaury 2010.

DO NOT OPEN PANDORA'S BOX!!!!

:P

This has been hotly debated on VGChartz for years, but I think the error is that for part of the PS2's life, Sony reported manufactured units as shipped. Ie 8 million people had the PS2's replaced under warranty while this reporting method was used. Sony changed to reporting shipped units when they arrived at the retailer's warehouses some time before the PSP launch

I could be wrong, if you want to know more start a thread on it

Around the Network

If the Wii had as long of a life as PS2, it will outsell it. However, I think the Wii 2 will be out before that day so I think it will never happen IMO.

RockSmith372 said:
If the Wii had as long of a life as PS2, it will outsell it. However, I think the Wii 2 will be out before that day so I think it will never happen IMO.

The PS2 was not killed off by the PS3(or the Wii), why would the Wii be killed off by the Wii2 (or any other console)? 

scottie said:
RockSmith372 said:

The PS2 was not killed off by the PS3(or the Wii), why would the Wii be killed off by the Wii2 (or any other console)? 

Good point! However, the reason Wii will die after Wii 2 is because Nintendo will move to Wii 2 in game productions. Without Nintendo games, the Wii will not survive. The PS2 can live without Sony games.

never, I don't think nintendo is smart enough to keep the wii on the market that long,when they upgrade..... and they will upgrade, they will drop the wii as fast as they did the gamecube imo, it can though..... only if it stay's on the market long enough like 5-6 mmore years.

RockSmith372 said:
scottie said:
RockSmith372 said:

Good point! However, the reason Wii will die after Wii 2 is because Nintendo will move to Wii 2 in game productions. Without Nintendo games, the Wii will not survive. The PS2 can live without Sony games.

That is a good point also, although don't let the Sony fanboys hear you saying the Nintendo first parties are more significant than the Sony ones :P I suspect however, that the huge lead Nintendo has (launches aligned) will be more than enough to offset the effects of the Wii2 releasing earlier (although in all likelihood it'll only be 6 months earlier) and the fact that the Wii relies on its 1st party more.

And hollywood - this is a multinational corporation that has managed to dominate 3 of the 5 generations of home console it's been in, and all of the portable generations. They have some quite clever people there. The NES had a lifespan of over 20 years, and the SNES about 13-14 if I remember correctly