By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will Wii outsell PS2?

When will Wii outsell PS2?

2010 1 0.26%

2011 8 2.08%

2012 37 9.61%

2013 57 14.81%

2014 55 14.29%

Never 227 58.96%

Total:385

i say 2000 zirteen!

Edit: why is 2010 and 2011 even there :P

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network
scottie said:
RockSmith372 said:
scottie said:
RockSmith372 said:
If the Wii had as long of a life as PS2, it will outsell it. However, I think the Wii 2 will be out before that day so I think it will never happen IMO.

The PS2 was not killed off by the PS3(or the Wii), why would the Wii be killed off by the Wii2 (or any other console)? 

Good point! However, the reason Wii will die after Wii 2 is because Nintendo will move to Wii 2 in game productions. Without Nintendo games, the Wii will not survive. The PS2 can live without Sony games.

That is a good point also, although don't let the Sony fanboys hear you saying the Nintendo first parties are more significant than the Sony ones :P I suspect however, that the huge lead Nintendo has (launches aligned) will be more than enough to offset the effects of the Wii2 releasing earlier (although in all likelihood it'll only be 6 months earlier) and the fact that the Wii relies on its 1st party more.

And hollywood - this is a multinational corporation that has managed to dominate 3 of the 5 generations of home console it's been in, and all of the portable generations. They have some quite clever people there. The NES had a lifespan of over 20 years, and the SNES about 13-14 if I remember correctly

sweet now keep going, how long did the n64 last? how long did the gamecube last? how long do nintendo consoles last once a new model is launched?? I don't think nintendo will handle the wii like sony do the playstation........... which STILL gets new games.

I think once the 3ds comes out they will drop the ds.

hollywood85 said:
scottie said:
RockSmith372 said:
scottie said:
RockSmith372 said:

And hollywood - this is a multinational corporation that has managed to dominate 3 of the 5 generations of home console it's been in, and all of the portable generations. They have some quite clever people there. The NES had a lifespan of over 20 years, and the SNES about 13-14 if I remember correctly

sweet now keep going, how long did the n64 last? how long did the gamecube last? how long do nintendo consoles last once a new model is launched?? I don't think nintendo will handle the wii like sony do the playstation........... which STILL gets new games.

I think once the 3ds comes out they will drop the ds.

Keep going you say? OK

The NES was a market leader, it lasted a long time

The SNES was a market leader, it lasted a long time

The N64 was not a market leader, it did not last a long time

The GC was not a market leader, it did not last a long time

The Wii is a market leader, it ...

Now how about you keep going, c'mon, fill in the blank.

Nintendo will keep selling the DS, and the Wii while people keep buying them. They would not discontinue it early. The Wii has enough evergreen titles to make it desirable, especially being as Nintendo will cut the price when the new console comes out.

Edit - sorry, I didn't answer one of your points - how long Ninty consoles stay on the market after their sequel is released

NES - released '83, discontinued '03

SNES - released 90, discontinued '03

N64 - released '96, discontinued '02

GC - released '01, discontinued '07

So looking only at the generation leader for Nintendo, the NES was discontinued 13 years after is sucessor was released, and the SNES was discontinued 7 years after. Lets take the average of that as 10 years, and assume the Wii 2 will release in '12, we can then predict that if Nintendo keep to their old behaviour, the Wii will be discontinued in 2022. Scary, huh?

Note, I don't actually think it'll still be out in 2022. But to predict it'll be discontinued any time soon is stupid, Nintendo stretch their consoles out for as long as they can

scottie said:
RockSmith372 said:
scottie said:
RockSmith372 said:
If the Wii had as long of a life as PS2, it will outsell it. However, I think the Wii 2 will be out before that day so I think it will never happen IMO.

The PS2 was not killed off by the PS3(or the Wii), why would the Wii be killed off by the Wii2 (or any other console)? 

Good point! However, the reason Wii will die after Wii 2 is because Nintendo will move to Wii 2 in game productions. Without Nintendo games, the Wii will not survive. The PS2 can live without Sony games.

That is a good point also, although don't let the Sony fanboys hear you saying the Nintendo first parties are more significant than the Sony ones :P I suspect however, that the huge lead Nintendo has (launches aligned) will be more than enough to offset the effects of the Wii2 releasing earlier (although in all likelihood it'll only be 6 months earlier) and the fact that the Wii relies on its 1st party more.

No one would argue that Sony games are more significant than Nintendo ones.  The argument is that Sony games are just as good if not better than the ALMIGHTY Nintendos games that are made.  Qualitywise is the argument, and Sony has a very good one.  Mario and Link and Wii series obviously sell more and are thus more "significant", popularity wise.  Even speaking in terms of innovation, I think Sony has an argument at least. 

NYANKS said:
scottie said:
RockSmith372 said:
scottie said:
RockSmith372 said:

No one would argue that Sony games are more significant than Nintendo ones.  The argument is that Sony games are just as good if not better than the ALMIGHTY Nintendos games that are made.  Qualitywise is the argument, and Sony has a very good one.  Mario and Link and Wii series obviously sell more and are thus more "significant", popularity wise.  Even speaking in terms of innovation, I think Sony has an argument at least. 

Actually, in the 3 generations Sony has existed, their 1st party outsold Nintendo's 1st party on home consoles in 2 of them.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:

The main selling point of Ninty's systems is the 1st party support. If 3rd party support doesn't pick up and become like it was on PS2, i can't see the Wii having a life as long as the PS2 (or even NES, SNES, PSone).

Actually, I'd say GBA is probably the best recent touchstone for what to expect for post-successor Nintendo support.  It was the last popular Nintendo platform to get replaced, and had fairly excellent 1st party support (far better than it's 3rd party support too, which was similarly almost always lacking).

Nintendo published GBA games released after DS launch

• bit generations Series (2006) skip / Q-Games
  • CalcoBit (2006) ParityBit
  • DK: King of Swing (2005) Paon
  • Donkey Kong Country 3 (2005) Rare
  • Dr. Mario & Puzzle League (2005) Nintendo / Intelligent Systems
  • Drill Dozer (2005) Game Freak
  • Dynasty Warriors Advance (2005) Koei
  • EyeShield 21: Devil Bats, Devil Days (2006) 8ing
  • Final Fantasy IV Advance (2005) Square Enix / TOSE Software
  • Final Fantasy V Advance (2006) Square Enix / TOSE Software
  • Final Fantasy VI Advance (2007) Square Enix / TOSE Software
  • Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (2005) Intelligent Systems
  • Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (2005) Square Enix / Jupiter
  • Mario Party Advance (2005) Hudson
  • Mario Tennis: Power Tour (2005) Camelot Software Planning 
  • Mother 3 (2006) Ape / Brownie Brown
  • Nonono Puzzle: CheChai Alien (2005) Creatures Inc.
  • Oriental Blue: Ao no Tengai (2006) Hudson / RED
  • Pokemon Emerald (2005) Pokemon Co. / Game Freak / Creatures Inc.
  • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team (2006) Pokemon Co. / Chunsoft
  • Polarium Advance (2006) Mitchell Corp
  • Rhythm Tengoku (2006) Nintendo
  • Sennen Kaizou (2005) indieszero
  • Tales of Phantasia (2006) Namco Bandai / Namco Tales Studio
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (2005) Flagship / Capcom
  • The Tower SP (2006) Vivarium
  • Wario Ware Twisted! (2005) Nintendo / Intelligent Systems
  • Yoshi Touch & Go! (2005) Artoon

...I think Wii after Wii 2 (ie: fall 2011-ish and on) will probably be somewhat like this.  Lots of brand names, lots of collaborations and outsourced projects, lots of quirky niche experiments, maybe a 3DS multiplatform game or two and I think you can again expect to see Nintendo pick up some key 3rd party games for publishing themselves (like Dragon Quest X).  I see no real reason to assume that Nintendo will simply drop Wii software production immediately, that's never how they handle their successful platforms (NES, SNES, GBA)... this whole line of logic's backwards, if anything strong Nintendo support is exactly what ensures Wii will have a healthy wind down...

I may be mistaken, but according to the stats, the ps2 has already sold over 140 million, which means the Wii will not pass it in 2013.  By the time the ps2 is taken off of the market, it will probably have about 150 million sales, maybe more, depending on how far into 2010's it lasts (2013 will probably be the final year).  I honestly do not believe Nintendo will continue to sell the Wii if they release a Wii 2 for an affordable price, it will just lower the sales for the Wii 2.  Because of this, in 2012 or 2013, I think the Wii will no longer be available.  The lifetime sales for the Wii will probably just hit 140 million if it lasts through 2013, and be considerably less than that if it is cut off before that.  We are not in denial for saying it will never happen, we are just being realistic.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

scottie said:
NYANKS said:
scottie said:
RockSmith372 said:
scottie said:
RockSmith372 said:

Actually, in the 3 generations Sony has existed, their 1st party outsold Nintendo's 1st party on home consoles in 2 of them.

That's kinda unfair since PS1 and PS2 had over 70 million units compared to their competition. Percentage of 1st party to total software sales in console, Nintendo is by far better. I'm not saying Nintendo is better or vice versa. I'm just saying that numbers can be deceiving when it comes to interpretation of those numbers.

LOL @ people voting never.

The Wii will be milked till 2014 at 99$

It will be sad times in the world if the Wii continues to sell like it has once the 360 & PS3 are capable of everything the Wii can do plus so much more for $50 - 100. I can understand buying the system for some of the exclusive titles, but for people just looking for an entertaining device.

Wii - $149
360 +Natal - $199
PS3 +Move - $249

?

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL