By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - SMG2 and Metroid:Other M are they system sellers?

Mario himself is a system seller... i'm not sure an individual one of his games is however.
When you buy a Nint console, you expect:

A) Mario
B) Zelda
C) Their other franchises

you can pretty much say they are system sellers by anticipation.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Around the Network
Davey1983 said:
Wyrdness said:

Galaxy 2 yes because Mario is recognizable to the Blue Ocean crowd and there's plenty more where they all came from which is why Galaxy and NSMBW already being out won't matter, Metroid not so much as it's always been a really complex concept and game for many to get into.

But the 'blue ocean crowd' did not buy Galaxy-- so why would they buy Galaxy 2?  Just because it is a Mario game does not mean that people will buy the game on mass.  If people bought games just because of Mario, then Super Paper Mario, Mario Tennis, Galaxy, Sunshine, Mario & Luigi, etc. would all have sold about 20 million. 

I'm not sure I agree with the idea that Metroid is to complex for some to get into.  Metroid is more of a niche series (I feel odd saying niche about a series that routinly sells over a million a game, but this is Nintendo we are talking about) and has never been a big seller.  I wouldn't describe the metroid games as complex-- you shoot things and get power ups to access new areas.  My wife 'gets' the Metroid games, but she still doesn't like them.

Metroid is too complex for most new comers, complexity is not just the concept of what you do in a game but the approach needed to get through it, the 2d games utilized exploration and puzzle solving which are far ahead of other 2d games and the Prime games well ask the people who thought it was going to be a fps, this series has never been a mass market series because of this.

Galaxy sold 8-9m copies and was released at the end of the first years of the Wii, I'd gladly put money on it that a large chunk of these sales are the blue ocean crowd, if it was a launch title like intended it may very well be much higher up in sales. Sunshine and such wasn't even released this gen when the blue ocean strategy began even though it's the cubes second best selling game which kind of contradicts your point, people are saying the users who want Mario will already have the Wii problem is new gamers looking to join the fray will want a recognizable title and whose the most known?

not for the casual , but for the 360/PS3 owner out there i think it may happen cuz other M is way too epic for any self-called games let it pass , special with the wii now at 199,99. is the real deal.

And in japan Nintendo can bumble Other M with a special Wii edition , it also would help wii sales over there.

GO PATS! 2012 THE YEAR OF NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS'S 4TH SUPER BOWL!

A patriot to the end. GO PATS!

Now playing> THE LAST STORY (Wii) Best RPG I EVER PLAYED. *-*

Nintendo could u please just take my money and give me back my 3DS?!

dampowell said:
Put it this way, If Nintendo release a Black Wii stateside with Other M. I will buy a system.

I was just about to say this. It's official. "Metroid: Other M" will sell Wii consoles.

I think they will both help Wii maintain a higher baseline than last years late spring/early summer lineup did.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network

Software sells hardware. So yes they will both sell systems. Thing is. How much? Can galaxy 2 appeal to those who didn't like the first game or will it sell to only those who bought the first one.
Will Metroid sell better than prime 3 or will it only appeal to those who bought Prime 3.

I think that it will push some systems. The 2 games will proberly stop the wii from slowing down too much. That's all I see right now

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

We'll probably see a noticeable bump in hardware sales the week of SMG2's launch, partly because of the heavy advertising and partly because Wii should be back to "normal" supply at retailers by then. Don't think that Other M itself will move much hardware during its launch week, but I expect it to easily have the best 1st week sales of any Metroid game ever... I expect it to do a minimum of 750k during week 1, and SMG2 should easilly top a million, maybe even coming close to 2 mil in WW 1st week sales.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

I say no to Mario.
I say yes to Metroid.

ioi said:
Depends how you define a system seller. They will be as much of a system seller as Mass Effect 2 or God of War III were for their respective systems...

I say ioi is right. I mean, he does own a videogame sales tracking site.

Both games will not sell consoles(on a large scale).