By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - SMG2 and Metroid:Other M are they system sellers?

thekitchensink said:
Mario: No, not a chance--Galaxy and NSMB are already out.
Metroid: Possibly--the highest-selling Metroid games were the original 2D ones, so the style may bring back some older fans of the franchise who didn't buy into Prime.

I think the first Prime outsold all of those.

Around the Network

I'm predicting Other M to do better than the Prime series because it's a whole new reimagining and will get some people to give it a try that didn't like the Prime style and therefore didn't buy any sequels.  Also it looks like a game that will be much easier for the casual gamer to get into, a deeper storyline, characters that speak, and fast paced action that looks fun to watch as well as play.  But I don't think it will sell very many consoles except to a small amount of hardcore gamers who haven't yet given the wii a chance but also really liked old school metroid games.  SMG2 will bolster the wii software lineup with another great game but it won't sell systems alone because it's a sequel and most people will feel the need to start at the first game.

No. Galaxy didn't seem to push many consoles, so I doubt the sequel will (I believe Galaxy 2 will only hit about 5 million)

Metroid-- no way. The highest selling Metroid game was Prime, and Corruption didn't exactly push consoles either.

It's Crack

my signature went on strike, it's demanding 3% raise

anything that has the potential to sell 8-10m units is a system seller. We might not see a huge spike, but it helps to sustain sales and those kinds of games get picked up with a system. Galaxy 1 came out when the system was completely supply constrained, so we really can't gauge if it was a system seller. As for people saying "it is a sequel" we saw Uncharted 2 sell systems. Really the big games on the system are the system sellers.

Games that will only sell 1-2m are much less likely to be system sellers, especially when they've already released another game in the genre. Considering how different it is to previous versions I'm sure it will bring in some new users, but I wouldn't call it a system seller.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

SMG2 should be as much as any sequel has been this gen: a 1-2 week HW spike then a return to the pre-release baseline.

I have no clue about Metroid. How popular is the franchise? Is there something particularly special about Other M that the other Wii Metroids don't have?

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
SMG2 should be as much as any sequel has been this gen: a 1-2 week HW spike then a return to the pre-release baseline.

I have no clue about Metroid. How popular is the franchise? Is there something particularly special about Other M that the other Wii Metroids don't have?

Highly accessible 2-D gameplay requiring nothing but the wiimote.

Khuutra said:
binary solo said:

Highly accessible 2-D gameplay requiring nothing but the nunchuck.

I thought you only played it wth only the wii-mote horizontal, and if you wanted a 3-d view you used the ir pointer....

SuperAdrianK said:
Khuutra said:
binary solo said:

Highly accessible 2-D gameplay requiring nothing but the nunchuck.

I thought you only played it wth only the wii-mote horizontal, and if you wanted a 3-d view you used the ir pointer....

That's what I said!

Not that Metriod game, no.

Mario, yes. No questions asked.

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!