By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, megaflop GTA: CW for DS reached 1M

Carl2291 said:
Demotruk said:

Ten... that's ridiculous. I can give you examples though in spite of the fact that's it's a rare situation for a game to be released on the console that has no audience for it first (which is what the situation is supposed to be here, if being a late port is any excuse). Tomb Raider was released first on the Sega Saturn with unremarkable sales, and then went on to be one of the Playstation's biggest hits as a late port. In Japan there's Tales of Vesperia between XBox 360 and PS3. If they had sold tonnes in the first place being a late port would have been an issue for these games, but since the audience was there and hadn't got the Saturn or 360 versions, they had no issue picking up a 'late port'.

And yes.

The games you mentioned have been on far bigger userbases. PSone Worldwide. PS3 in Japan. but for the audience thing, i could just take a recent one and say "Star Ocean 4". It fits the exact same thing as ToV between 360 and PS3, yet the 360 version is greatly outdoing it.

But that honestly doesn't matter. The red is all i need from you. Thanks.

An audience is just a portion of a userbase. It doesn't matter if the userbase is big or small, what matters is what size of an audience is there for a game on a particular console. Most of the audience for Tales was on PS3 and not 360. Most of the audience for GTA is supposed to be on PSP, and we know there is a big GTA audience there. Yet they didn't buy it.

Being a late port only matters if the audience didn't get the game the first time. Hence why rereleases can work on newer consoles like RE:4.

And what does SO4 have in common with GTA CTW? It sucked.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network
leatherhat said:
Carl2291 said:
Blacksaber said:
Carl2291 said:
thekitchensink said:
When the DS game had been out for the length that the PSP game has, it had sold roughly twice as many units.

So, anyone claiming that these sales are low (which they aren't) and that it's the DS's fault is a fanboy.

lol at bringing PSP sales into it. A late port, on a system with less than half as many units sold worldwide. And you don't have to be a fanboy to see that the sales are "low" for a GTA game. Be it 2D or 3D.

@Bamboleo
Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't the PS2 have more 2 Million sellers than the DS has 1 Million sellers?

DS games 1.99-1.0 53

PS2 Games 2.99-2.0 51

From what I saw many games from both sides were missing others sales for multiple games...

I was talking total, not from 1 to 2, or 2 to 3. I just checked and the DS has had 101 games sell over 1 Million copies.

PS2 on the other hand, has had 115 games sell over 2 Million copies.

And a MASSIVE 223 games with over 1 Million copies sold.

DS only has 101 million sellers? Not that that's not a big number, but I would think for a user base that high it would be much larger. I mean the 360 and ps3 will likely have 101 million sellers before their successors come out. 

What I found funny in your comparison is that you can compare software sales between a handheld and a home console, but when you are saying that the DS will become (very soon) the best selling gaming system, there is people claiming that you can't compare a handheld to a home console. LOL

Ail said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
bmmb1 said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
I just heard the sound of a thousand cattle running in the opposite direction as quickly as possible.

Oh, what was that? Those were the cowards too afraid to eat crow, preferring to run away or disappear entirely instead of own up to their own words? What a surprise!

No, they just move the goal posts. So, by moving the goalposts, it's still a megaflop.

It's a moral victory, but no one on the side that cried "flop" will admit it. They'll continue calling it a GTA game as though everything in it is normal (e.g. the top down view - btw, I wonder how a top down view GTA would do on the consoles?), while in the same breath make excuses for the PSP version that flopped in comparison - yes, smaller user base on the PSP, but not THAT much smaller, and supposedly more "hardcore" userbase than the DS userbase...

The goalposts moved so fast that I got whiplash. When sales came in they said that it would never hit a million and had no business on the DS. The PSP version flopped on its ass and the DS version hits and million and now all of a sudden the SDF is screaming "but only 1 million," after saying it wouldn't hit it in the first place. The install base argument is being lobbed at the DS but not the PSP which managed to sell several milion copies of previous GTA games.

Hypocrisy must be a powerful motivator.

Not really.

GTA is the franchise that has been keeping TakeTwo afloat for the last 10 years.

You really think GTA DS helped to do that ?

GTA4 didn't even do that considering that Take Two is hanging by a thread. And that thread is called Carnival Games.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

atma998 said:
Carl2291 said:
thekitchensink said:
When the DS game had been out for the length that the PSP game has, it had sold roughly twice as many units.

So, anyone claiming that these sales are low (which they aren't) and that it's the DS's fault is a fanboy.

lol at bringing PSP sales into it. A late port, on a system with less than half as many units sold worldwide. And you don't have to be a fanboy to see that the sales are "low" for a GTA game. Be it 2D or 3D.

@Bamboleo
Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't the PS2 have more 2 Million sellers than the DS has 1 Million sellers?

Yeah sure this have nothing to do with the top-down perspective. And lol you were the one saying the userbase have nothing to do with sales of a game when talking about GT5 and now you are using this argument?? ROFL

And I'm also sorry to inform you that the PS2 doesnt have more than 200 2 million sellers.

The userbase doesn't matter if it's from one generation console to another, for a different game in the series. Examples would be God of War 2 + God of War 3. Super Mario 64 all the way to Super Mario Galaxy.

The userbase on 2 consoles, when comparing the same game... Does matter, for obvious reasons. Examples would be Modern Warfare 2 360 and Modern Warfare 2 PS3. GTA:CW DS to GTA:CW PSP. GTA: San Andreas PS2 to GTA: San Andreas Xbox.

And i never said it had 200 2 Million sellers. I said it had 115 with over 2 Million sales.

Carl2291 said:
thekitchensink said:

@Bamboleo

I mean the most million sellers.

Point me a PS2 game that has sold more than 20M... oooops you can't.

GTA had fine sales for what it is, and the PSP version only proves how niche the game is since the previous "true" GTA's were blockbusters on PSP.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
atma998 said:
Carl2291 said:
thekitchensink said:

@Bamboleo

Yeah sure this have nothing to do with the top-down perspective. And lol you were the one saying the userbase have nothing to do with sales of a game when talking about GT5 and now you are using this argument?? ROFL

And I'm also sorry to inform you that the PS2 doesnt have more than 200 2 million sellers.

The userbase doesn't matter if it's from one generation console to another, for a different game in the series. Examples would be God of War 2 + God of War 3. Super Mario 64 all the way to Super Mario Galaxy.

The userbase on 2 consoles, when comparing the same game... Does matter, for obvious reasons. Examples would be Modern Warfare 2 360 and Modern Warfare 2 PS3. GTA:CW DS to GTA:CW PSP. GTA: San Andreas PS2 to GTA: San Andreas Xbox.

And i never said it had 200 2 Million sellers. I said it had 115 with over 2 Million sales.

And why didnt you take FFXIII as example to demonstrate your point? Oh wait...

Rockstar will still consider it as a big flop.

It had the biggest budget of all their GTA handheld games and it sold 3 million less than Vice City Stories (Chinatown Wars: DS+PSP - Vice City Stories: PSP+PS2)

Instead they could have made another 3D PSP game (San Andreas Stories...)

EDIT: Actually 4 million less. (PS2 version doesn't have Others sales and when we look at Liberty City Stories, NA and Others are very close)

ClaudeLv250 said:
Ail said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
bmmb1 said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
I just heard the sound of a thousand cattle running in the opposite direction as quickly as possible.

Oh, what was that? Those were the cowards too afraid to eat crow, preferring to run away or disappear entirely instead of own up to their own words? What a surprise!

No, they just move the goal posts. So, by moving the goalposts, it's still a megaflop.

It's a moral victory, but no one on the side that cried "flop" will admit it. They'll continue calling it a GTA game as though everything in it is normal (e.g. the top down view - btw, I wonder how a top down view GTA would do on the consoles?), while in the same breath make excuses for the PSP version that flopped in comparison - yes, smaller user base on the PSP, but not THAT much smaller, and supposedly more "hardcore" userbase than the DS userbase...

The goalposts moved so fast that I got whiplash. When sales came in they said that it would never hit a million and had no business on the DS. The PSP version flopped on its ass and the DS version hits and million and now all of a sudden the SDF is screaming "but only 1 million," after saying it wouldn't hit it in the first place. The install base argument is being lobbed at the DS but not the PSP which managed to sell several milion copies of previous GTA games.

Hypocrisy must be a powerful motivator.

Not really.

GTA is the franchise that has been keeping TakeTwo afloat for the last 10 years.

You really think GTA DS helped to do that ?

GTA4 didn't even do that considering that Take Two is hanging by a thread. And that thread is called Carnival Games.

Yes because Carnival games is the huge franchise that they will be able to keep on declining for the next 10 years.........

In your dreams maybe....

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

atma998 said:
Carl2291 said:
atma998 said:
Carl2291 said:
thekitchensink said:

@Bamboleo

You said ''Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't the PS2 have more 2 Million sellers than the DS has 1 Million sellers?'' (see above)

And why didnt you take FFXIII as example to demonstrate your point? Oh wait...

Yes. And what's your point? The PS2 has 115 2 Million sellers, the DS has 101 1 Million sellers.

And Final Fantasy sold more on PS3 because of Japan Exclusivity, and the majority of people who wanted the game already having a PS3 due to it being "exclusive" until E3 08. Add into that the PS3 version being the superior version... And you get more sales on PS3.

axumblade said:
The PS2 GTA's were 3 of the top 4 selling PS2 games of all time. GTA IV is in the top 10 sales for both the xbox 360 and PS3 games of all time as well. GTA: Stories games are the top selling PSP games. Even GTA:SA and GTA Collection for the Xbox were part of the top 10 best selling xbox software. Even the DLC for the 360 version of GTAIV's retail version of the expansion packs sold over a million copies in less then a year. And we're supposed to praise this game for hitting a level of sales that even the original PSone games doubled in sales?

Of course it's got legs, it's a GTA game. It's even possible for the PSP version to hit 1 million due to digital distribution and longevity of the GTA games legs. But it doesn't change the fact that this game should have sold a lot more.

No it shouldn't have, because those other games were all Full 3D GTA games.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs