By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, megaflop GTA: CW for DS reached 1M

leatherhat said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Install base does not magically make niche games into mainstream.

Full 3D GTA is mainstream, not top down. Compare sales of the top down GTA games, and then you can see how well this game did.

I said that same thing earlier in the thread, but people don't seem to want to accept that. All you have to do is compare its 3d handheld outings (Vice city stories and liberty city stories) to its top down (Chinatown wars on DS and psp, and the gameboy advance version) to see that its the perspective and not the console that dictates sales. 

Heck, some think Madworld is supposed to be a huge hit, as though brawlers with atypical art styles are a big genre. If compared to other brawlers, like Godhand and Spyborgs, it is doing exceptionally well.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
bmmb1 said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
I just heard the sound of a thousand cattle running in the opposite direction as quickly as possible.

Oh, what was that? Those were the cowards too afraid to eat crow, preferring to run away or disappear entirely instead of own up to their own words? What a surprise!

No, they just move the goal posts. So, by moving the goalposts, it's still a megaflop.

It's a moral victory, but no one on the side that cried "flop" will admit it. They'll continue calling it a GTA game as though everything in it is normal (e.g. the top down view - btw, I wonder how a top down view GTA would do on the consoles?), while in the same breath make excuses for the PSP version that flopped in comparison - yes, smaller user base on the PSP, but not THAT much smaller, and supposedly more "hardcore" userbase than the DS userbase...

The goalposts moved so fast that I got whiplash. When sales came in they said that it would never hit a million and had no business on the DS. The PSP version flopped on its ass and the DS version hits and million and now all of a sudden the SDF is screaming "but only 1 million," after saying it wouldn't hit it in the first place. The install base argument is being lobbed at the DS but not the PSP which managed to sell several milion copies of previous GTA games.

Hypocrisy must be a powerful motivator.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

LordTheNightKnight said:

Full 3D GTA is mainstream, not top down. Compare sales of the top down GTA games, and then you can see how well this game did.

Funny I thought that after the success of the NSMBWii you guys swore than 2d scrollers were mainstream........

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Carl2291 said:
thekitchensink said:
When the DS game had been out for the length that the PSP game has, it had sold roughly twice as many units.

So, anyone claiming that these sales are low (which they aren't) and that it's the DS's fault is a fanboy.

lol at bringing PSP sales into it. A late port, on a system with less than half as many units sold worldwide. And you don't have to be a fanboy to see that the sales are "low" for a GTA game. Be it 2D or 3D.

@Bamboleo
Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't the PS2 have more 2 Million sellers than the DS has 1 Million sellers?

Yeah sure this have nothing to do with the top-down perspective. And lol you were the one saying the userbase have nothing to do with sales of a game when talking about GT5 and now you are using this argument?? ROFL

And I'm also sorry to inform you that the PS2 doesnt have more than 200 2 million sellers.

Ail said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Main goal for releasing a GTA DS was most likely :

- get some quick profit

- increase the user base for next GTA installment release.

Do you really think either of those was achieved ?

How does that counter my comment? Did you even read what I wrote?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Around the Network
ClaudeLv250 said:
bmmb1 said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
I just heard the sound of a thousand cattle running in the opposite direction as quickly as possible.

Oh, what was that? Those were the cowards too afraid to eat crow, preferring to run away or disappear entirely instead of own up to their own words? What a surprise!

No, they just move the goal posts. So, by moving the goalposts, it's still a megaflop.

It's a moral victory, but no one on the side that cried "flop" will admit it. They'll continue calling it a GTA game as though everything in it is normal (e.g. the top down view - btw, I wonder how a top down view GTA would do on the consoles?), while in the same breath make excuses for the PSP version that flopped in comparison - yes, smaller user base on the PSP, but not THAT much smaller, and supposedly more "hardcore" userbase than the DS userbase...

The goalposts moved so fast that I got whiplash. When sales came in they said that it would never hit a million and had no business on the DS. The PSP version flopped on its ass and the DS version hits and million and now all of a sudden the SDF is screaming "but only 1 million," after saying it wouldn't hit it in the first place. The install base argument is being lobbed at the DS but not the PSP which managed to sell several milion copies of previous GTA games.

Hypocrisy must be a powerful motivator.

Not really.

GTA is the franchise that has been keeping TakeTwo afloat for the last 10 years.

You really think GTA DS helped to do that ?

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Ail said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Funny I thought that after the success of the NSMBWii you guys swore than 2d scrollers were mainstream........

You obviously didn't compare the sales of the top down GTA games, or else you would now those games didn't sell tens of millions like 2D Mario and 3D GTA. This is a sale site, and you did a critical research failure.

What is a bigger flop, 1 million sales on a console that's never seen a GTA game, or less than 500k sales on a system with two games from the same franchise totaling around 9million in sales as predecessors?

VGChartz

Not great 4 a gtA game but It did far worse on the psp. Its down to the 2d perspective

milkyjoe said:
What is a bigger flop, 1 million sales on a console that's never seen a GTA game, or less than 500k sales on a system with two games from the same franchise totaling around 9million in sales as predecessors?

Whichever makes Nintendo look bad.