By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, megaflop GTA: CW for DS reached 1M

Carl2291 said:
Demotruk said:
LOL @ Carl. You sarcastically post about it being shocking for the game to have sold a million, and then go on to make weak excuses for the PSP version. It being a late port is only a big deal if the potential audience bought the game first on DS, but obviously since so many more copies of LCS were sold, they didn't.

The DS audience didn't eat this game up, and neither did the hardcore PSP audience. The simple answer to this is that it didn't have the same appeal as the 3D GTA's.

I'm not making weak excuses for anything. I'm speaking facts though... If they are weak excuses. But hey, you can show me 10 late ports of games that have gone on to sell exceptionally well (or better than the original) please, then you can say it's a "weak" excuse. If not, i will ignore that as you just trying to defend the DS somehow.

And as for the red -

Does that mean we can conclude it sold bad for a GTA game then?

Ten... that's ridiculous. I can give you examples though in spite of the fact that's it's a rare situation for a game to be released on the console that has no audience for it first (which is what the situation is supposed to be here, if being a late port is any excuse). Tomb Raider was released first on the Sega Saturn with unremarkable sales, and then went on to be one of the Playstation's biggest hits as a late port. In Japan there's Tales of Vesperia between XBox 360 and PS3. If they had sold tonnes in the first place being a late port would have been an issue for these games, but since the audience was there and hadn't got the Saturn or 360 versions, they had no issue picking up a 'late port'.

And yes.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network
kingofwale said:
I think it depends on how well GTA sells on Portable device. Not counting late crappy ports, of course.

How did GTA VC do on PSP??? If it's less than 1 million, then I will admit that CW is not a megaflop

Oh ffs, why compare like with like when we can compare it with totally unlike?

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Considering the lame sales at the beginning, this is not bad at all. Still, not good for a GTA game.

Demotruk said:

Ten... that's ridiculous. I can give you examples though in spite of the fact that's it's a rare situation for a game to be released on the console that has no audience for it first (which is what the situation is supposed to be here, if being a late port is any excuse). Tomb Raider was released first on the Sega Saturn with unremarkable sales, and then went on to be one of the Playstation's biggest hits as a late port. In Japan there's Tales of Vesperia between XBox 360 and PS3. If they had sold tonnes in the first place being a late port would have been an issue for these games, but since the audience was there and hadn't got the Saturn or 360 versions, they had no issue picking up a 'late port'.

And yes.

The games you mentioned have been on far bigger userbases. PSone Worldwide. PS3 in Japan. but for the audience thing, i could just take a recent one and say "Star Ocean 4". It fits the exact same thing as ToV between 360 and PS3, yet the 360 version is greatly outdoing it.

But that honestly doesn't matter. The red is all i need from you. Thanks.

The game failed and anyone who says otherwise is a fanboy. See i can play that game too. But overall the game did horrible, only 1mil sales on whats soon to be the best selling console ever.

Around the Network
Ail said:
Biggest install base ever, biggest game franchise, and you cheering 1 million ?????????

I couldn't agree more.

Install base does not magically make niche games into mainstream.

Full 3D GTA is mainstream, not top down. Compare sales of the top down GTA games, and then you can see how well this game did.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Carl2291 said:
Blacksaber said:
Carl2291 said:
thekitchensink said:
When the DS game had been out for the length that the PSP game has, it had sold roughly twice as many units.

So, anyone claiming that these sales are low (which they aren't) and that it's the DS's fault is a fanboy.

lol at bringing PSP sales into it. A late port, on a system with less than half as many units sold worldwide. And you don't have to be a fanboy to see that the sales are "low" for a GTA game. Be it 2D or 3D.

@Bamboleo
Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't the PS2 have more 2 Million sellers than the DS has 1 Million sellers?

DS games 1.99-1.0 53

PS2 Games 2.99-2.0 51

From what I saw many games from both sides were missing others sales for multiple games...

I was talking total, not from 1 to 2, or 2 to 3. I just checked and the DS has had 101 games sell over 1 Million copies.

PS2 on the other hand, has had 115 games sell over 2 Million copies.

And a MASSIVE 223 games with over 1 Million copies sold.

DS only has 101 million sellers? Not that that's not a big number, but I would think for a user base that high it would be much larger. I mean the 360 and ps3 will likely have 101 million sellers before their successors come out. 

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

LordTheNightKnight said:

Full 3D GTA is mainstream, not top down. Compare sales of the top down GTA games, and then you can see how well this game did.

I said that same thing earlier in the thread, but people don't seem to want to accept that. All you have to do is compare its 3d handheld outings (Vice city stories and liberty city stories) to its top down (Chinatown wars on DS and psp, and the gameboy advance version) to see that its the perspective and not the console that dictates sales. 

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

LordTheNightKnight said:

Main goal for releasing a GTA DS was most likely :

- get some quick profit

- increase the user base for next GTA installment release.

Do you really think either of those was achieved ?

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !