Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, megaflop GTA: CW for DS reached 1M

Only did 410k on the PSP.

Wonder how much it did on the IPhone?

It's just that simple.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
bmmb1 said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
I just heard the sound of a thousand cattle running in the opposite direction as quickly as possible.

Oh, what was that? Those were the cowards too afraid to eat crow, preferring to run away or disappear entirely instead of own up to their own words? What a surprise!

No, they just move the goal posts. So, by moving the goalposts, it's still a megaflop.

It's a moral victory, but no one on the side that cried "flop" will admit it. They'll continue calling it a GTA game as though everything in it is normal (e.g. the top down view - btw, I wonder how a top down view GTA would do on the consoles?), while in the same breath make excuses for the PSP version that flopped in comparison - yes, smaller user base on the PSP, but not THAT much smaller, and supposedly more "hardcore" userbase than the DS userbase...

70 Million isn't "That much"?

Are you serious?

Since everybody likes to bring in the ridiculous userbase size argument, then yes, I am just as serious. What I meant when I wrote "not that much smaller" was that the PSP userbase was not as small as it should have been in proportion to the DS userbase in order to justify the PSP sales. SO even taking into account the diffrence in userbase, the PSP sales were lower.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

Demotruk said:
LOL @ Carl. You sarcastically post about it being shocking for the game to have sold a million, and then go on to make weak excuses for the PSP version. It being a late port is only a big deal if the potential audience bought the game first on DS, but obviously since so many more copies of LCS were sold, they didn't.

The DS audience didn't eat this game up, and neither did the hardcore PSP audience. The simple answer to this is that it didn't have the same appeal as the 3D GTA's.

I'm not making weak excuses for anything. I'm speaking facts though... If they are weak excuses. But hey, you can show me 10 late ports of games that have gone on to sell exceptionally well (or better than the original) please, then you can say it's a "weak" excuse. If not, i will ignore that as you just trying to defend the DS somehow.

And as for the red -

Does that mean we can conclude it sold bad for a GTA game then?

bmmb1 said:
Carl2291 said:
bmmb1 said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
I just heard the sound of a thousand cattle running in the opposite direction as quickly as possible.

Oh, what was that? Those were the cowards too afraid to eat crow, preferring to run away or disappear entirely instead of own up to their own words? What a surprise!

No, they just move the goal posts. So, by moving the goalposts, it's still a megaflop.

It's a moral victory, but no one on the side that cried "flop" will admit it. They'll continue calling it a GTA game as though everything in it is normal (e.g. the top down view - btw, I wonder how a top down view GTA would do on the consoles?), while in the same breath make excuses for the PSP version that flopped in comparison - yes, smaller user base on the PSP, but not THAT much smaller, and supposedly more "hardcore" userbase than the DS userbase...

Are you serious?

Since everybody likes to bring in the ridiculous userbase size argument, then yes, I am just as serious. What I meant when I wrote "not that much smaller" was that the PSP userbase was not as small as it should have been in proportion to the DS userbase in order to justify the PSP sales. SO even taking into account the diffrence in userbase, the PSP sales were lower.

So, i can conclude from your post that you think the Wii hasn't sold that much then. As it is below 70 Million units worldwide. Awesome.

And i'm wondering, was the game available on PSN for download? If it was, you need to find out Dl figures for it too, before doing a comparison like that.

Chrizum said:
DS version sold terrible, because it has a huge installed base consisting majorly of kids and old people.

PSP version sold great, because it has a smaller userbase consisting of hardcore gamers.

That's what I got out of this thread, anyway.

^This.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
bmmb1 said:
Carl2291 said:
bmmb1 said:
ClaudeLv250 said:

Are you serious?

So, i can conclude from your post that you think the Wii hasn't sold that much then. As it is below 70 Million units worldwide. Awesome.

And i'm wondering, was the game available on PSN for download? If it was, you need to find out Dl figures for it too, before doing a comparison like that.

You misunderstood what I attempted to explain, probably not on purpose, but it is late for me where i am right now and I'm too tired to try to explain again, so never mind.

I think it depends on how well GTA sells on Portable device. Not counting late crappy ports, of course.

How did GTA VC do on PSP??? If it's less than 1 million, then I will admit that CW is not a megaflop

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

GTA:CW is just a bad GTA game. It is however an awesome game in it's own right. This is a case where the name of the game worked against it more than helped it. GTA is a franchise name. It only seriously attracts franchise fans. With the franschise having excellent full 3d environments it was a disaster to assume that this old school GTA would do as well. Anyone with half an ear listening would have heard that the GTA fans didn't bitch that it was on the DS they were bitching because of the view and "wasn't" a GTA game.

The fact that it sold a million on the DS is actually fantastic for the name working against it. If it was a console issue. Then the PSP version wouldn't matter and sold as well as the other titles. The reason the buyers of the Stories series aren't picking this up in a mad dash is not because it was on the DS. It's because it sucks in comparison to the other PSP GTA games. I'm not going to buy in on the PSP. I loved CW, but given the comparison of both machines I would rather get a full GTA game than some old school spin off.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

kingofwale said:
I think it depends on how well GTA sells on Portable device. Not counting late crappy ports, of course.

How did GTA VC do on PSP??? If it's less than 1 million, then I will admit that CW is not a megaflop

Liberty City Stories sold over 6 Million

Vice City Stories sold over 3.5 Million

I wonder why they bothered with 2D GTA anyway. Where is san andreas stories... =(