By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - This generation will be pretty much over once Legend of Zelda Wii is released.

I'm still eagerly awaiting DQX and I know a lot of other people are. Probably more than Zelda. And I have all Japan backing me up :P

Around the Network
Snake612 said:

Its probably the most anticipated game of this generation. 

Wrong sorry, it's not. Zelda has always been a niche game. It's the most obsessed game for Zelda fans. Much like FF fans.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

No.

4 ≈ One

Uh there's going to be a bunch of big console titles after Zelda, I mean we already know of...

-Call of Duty 8 (360/PS3)
-Dragon Quest X (Wii)
-Final Fantasy versus XIII (PS3)
-Gears of War 3 (360)
-Killzone 3 (PS3)
-Mass Effect 3 (360)
-Metal Gear Solid Rising (360/PS3)
-Pikmin 3 (Wii)
-The Last Story (Wii)

Well a few things:

Zelda Wii is not the most awaited game of this gen. It might be the most talked about and discussed, but like FF, EVERY Zelda game is put under one of the most intense microscopes. I'd say, though, there have been other bigger titles, more mainstream ones, that have been more awaited than this one. Don't get me wrong, it'll be a big title (potentially bigger because of the Wii's situation for later this year), but not the biggest.

Next, it's hard to think that unless Nintendo announces N6 at this year's E3, that they will slow down. Just because it seems that Nintendo is out of games, doesn't mean they can't and won't announce anything knew. Remember we know of Pikmin 3, Project Sora, and Retro Studios project. Only one of these will release in 2010 along with Zelda. The others are either 2011 titles, or maybe on N6. Point being, Nintendo just won't take time off. They are always looking ahead, but they still have a large Wii base they need to support, and will support.

Although I do think we'll start seeing announcements of 8th gen consoles in late 2010/2011 and released in late 2011/2012, it's not simply going to kill this current one off. It is a little daunting that the 8th generation, though, is now upon us with the Nintendo 3DS announced. Guess things will start unraveling faster than people think, but I can see some of this thinking as Nintendo isn't sitting back and waiting.

Around the Network
Boutros said:
I'm still eagerly awaiting DQX and I know a lot of other people are. Probably more than Zelda. And I have all Japan backing me up :P

I donno, I'm probably the biggest Dragon Quest fanboy on the forums, but I'm also a major Zelda fanboy.  And I'm egar to see if the new Zelda can 'change' the series like Ocarina of Time did.  I really think both games have the chance to be two of the best titles on the system, if not be in the running for the best.  Of course, we have yet to see actual footage for the games so that view is just based on the past performance on the games in their series (which is nothing to sneeze at).

Zucas said:
Well a few things:

Zelda Wii is not the most awaited game of this gen. It might be the most talked about and discussed, but like FF, EVERY Zelda game is put under one of the most intense microscopes. I'd say, though, there have been other bigger titles, more mainstream ones, that have been more awaited than this one. Don't get me wrong, it'll be a big title (potentially bigger because of the Wii's situation for later this year), but not the biggest.

Next, it's hard to think that unless Nintendo announces N6 at this year's E3, that they will slow down. Just because it seems that Nintendo is out of games, doesn't mean they can't and won't announce anything knew. Remember we know of Pikmin 3, Project Sora, and Retro Studios project. Only one of these will release in 2010 along with Zelda. The others are either 2011 titles, or maybe on N6. Point being, Nintendo just won't take time off. They are always looking ahead, but they still have a large Wii base they need to support, and will support.

Although I do think we'll start seeing announcements of 8th gen consoles in late 2010/2011 and released in late 2011/2012, it's not simply going to kill this current one off. It is a little daunting that the 8th generation, though, is now upon us with the Nintendo 3DS announced. Guess things will start unraveling faster than people think, but I can see some of this thinking as Nintendo isn't sitting back and waiting.

Well, it depends on who you talk to.  If you talked to someone in Japan, the most anticipated game for the last 4-5 years was Dragon Quest IX.  If you talked to someone in America, it was probably split between multiple games.  But for plenty of people, their most anticipated game, especially on the Wii, is the next Zelda.

But yes, I hardly think Nintendo is going to slow down and if anything, I think Nintendo will announce their new console sometime early next year (maybe E3) and release it in 2012.  The target it looks like for PS3/360 still looks to be earliest around 2014, as they're trying to hold off putting out a new console with ideas like Natal/Move and new technology like 3D gaming and new SKUs.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Zelda Wii won't even be the biggest game release this year, even if it goes on to sell 30% more than any other Zelda title ever released.

I guess it could be the most awesome, but that's another matter altogether.

From the perspective of huge, generation-defining games I can see where you are coming from. The Wii, PS3 and 360 all have some of the generation's potentially biggest releases (critically and sales-wise) this year and although there will undoubtedly big some big releases next year (maybe even the year after) I'm not sure if any of them are going to have the impact of Zelda, Halo Reach or GT5/GOW3.

I think it's hard for games to have a huge and lasting impact on the downside of a generation simply because people are too busy looking forward, and unless Natal or Move totally change the gaming landscape we are definitely heading into late afternoon of this generation.

Surely we have a few years to go left in this generation but maybe you are right for 360 and WII but what about PS3 it should last longer , With it's blue ray drive (It is still didn't reach it's peak yet)
Anyway release of a new Nintendo system means a new generation that's for sure and with a new 3D DS coming I think your prediction is right

Of course Zelda Wii is gonna be a BIG game....but you say there is nothing big left? What about Retro Studios game, Project Sora game, Dragon Quest X or The Last Story?