By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - PS2 will remain the best selling console of all time by the end of this gen

This is a completely stupid discussion anyway.

The very definition of a 'console' is an electronic device that plays video games. Both handhelds and home consoles fall under this category, wether you like it or not, this is indeed a fact. Can't argue with the dictionary:

1 con·sole noun ˈkän-ˌsōl

Definition of CONSOLE

1 : an architectural member projecting from a wall to form a bracket or from a keystone for ornament

2 : console table

3 a : an upright case that houses the keyboards and controlling mechanisms of an organ and from which the organ is played 

3 b : a combination of readouts or displays and an input device (as a keyboard or switches) by which an operator can monitor and interact with a system (as a computer or dubber)

4 a : a cabinet (as for a radio or television set) designed to rest directly on the floor

4 b : a small storage cabinet between bucket seats in an automobile

5 : an electronic system that connects to a display (as a television set) and is used primarily to play video games

There you have it, end of story. A console is a system that connects to a display used to play video games. And you can't say a handheld is not that, because it is. It connects to a display; it's own.

That said, I hope that ends this stupid debate, but the other debate must also end. The topic of the thread is Wii vs. PS2 as stated in the OP. Wether or not it only says "console" in the title is irrelevant. OP > title. The whole console-definition-debate shouldn't have happened either way, because the DS has no place in the topic of this thread in the first place.

Man.

KylieDog said:

Like 'phone' is abbrevation used for 'mobile phone', all phones are mobile!  Even the ones stuck connected to wall sockets.

'Mobile' would be the abbreviation for 'Mobile phone'.

Around the Network

The DS is a console. And while the circumstances of their launches are different, that doesn't mean we can't compare them. Also, even if this article was comparing the Wii to the PS2, it works for the DS, as well. The PS2 will remain the #1 console, home or handheld.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handheld_game_console

I win.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Miguel_Zorro said:

Thank you.  I approve of this post. Especially the bit at the end.

Take it up with the linguistic professors who make up definitions of certain words.

Facts are facts.

Miguel_Zorro said:
S.Peelman said:

This is a completely stupid discussion anyway.

The very definition of a 'console' is an electronic device that plays video games. Both handhelds and home consoles fall under this category, wether you like it or not, this is indeed a fact. Can't argue with the dictionary:

1 con·sole noun ˈkän-ˌsōl

Definition of CONSOLE

1 : an architectural member projecting from a wall to form a bracket or from a keystone for ornament

2 : console table

3 a : an upright case that houses the keyboards and controlling mechanisms of an organ and from which the organ is played 

3 b : a combination of readouts or displays and an input device (as a keyboard or switches) by which an operator can monitor and interact with a system (as a computer or dubber)

4 a : a cabinet (as for a radio or television set) designed to rest directly on the floor

4 b : a small storage cabinet between bucket seats in an automobile

5 : an electronic system that connects to a display (as a television set) and is used primarily to play video games

There you have it, end of story. A console is a system that connects to a display used to play video games. And you can't say a handheld is not that, because it is. It connects to a display; it's own.

That said, I hope that ends this stupid debate, but the other debate must also end. The topic of the thread is Wii vs. PS2 as stated in the OP. Wether or not it only says "console" in the title is irrelevant. OP > title. The whole console-definition-debate shouldn't have happened either way, because the DS has no place in the topic of this thread in the first place.

Man.

Thank you.  I approve of this post. Especially the bit at the end.

What? When he said "Man."???

Lol jokes. 

Anyway @Peelman Good post. 

Yay!!!

Around the Network

Dayyum, everything in the OP is pretty much spot on. Bravo

The point is, many people were predicting that Wii would sell more units than PS2 when Wii was selling at its peak. A not unreasonable assumption given Wii's peak > PS2's peak. What some people weren't predicting was that Wii would not have the legs that PS2 did (can we talk of PS2 in the past tense yet?). Other people were predicting that Wii wouldn't have the legs and they were poo-poo'd for it.

Some choice quotes from the front page:
"But we know wii will oversell PS2 soon, very soon so don't worry it. And topic creator, SHUT UP."

"no, why the hell would it be discontinued right when the next gen starts? Just for the record the wii is outselling PS2 by at least 7 million by any fair comparison. The gap is widening not shrinking BTW."

"Why would the most successful home console be discontinued?....Its tracking above the ps2 at this point and shows no signs of stopping."

"Delusional views of facts. Let alone lack of historical actions by the console manufaturers.
I get a feeling though that the @OP is just flamebaiting."

"The meltdowns that happen when Wii does pass the PS2 will be hilarious. Gaf might shut down forever, LoL."

Some people were supporting the prediction that Wii would fall short, so it wasn't all one way traffic.

People were saying that Wii would continue to sell reasonably well for a few years after the "Wii 2" came out. But Even though Wii continues to sell it has no chance of moving 50 million+ units before it is discontinued.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Metallicube said:
kitler53 said:
Metallicube said:
Sure, PS2 will remain the highest selling console, if you don't count the DS as a console :P

Anyway, I never expected Wii to pull off PS2 like numbers. Hell I was pleasantly surprised when it even passed NES's numbers. What I didn't expect however was for its sales to drop off so quickly and drastically. Though I guess with virtually no real third party support it does make sense in retrospect. Oh well, it'll still crack that illusive 100 million mark at least, and most likely pass the Playstation 1, which is quite an accomplishment in itself.

orly?  :P

just playing btw.  anywho, fun read.  i'll exit now though as it seems many posts are getting bans.  xD

Touche my good sir, but it seems there is a key point to that post that you missed.. You'd think if you took the time to dig out that old post, you would have read the whole thing :P

"...This is provided Nintendo doesn't foolishly cut off the lifespan of their own console while it's still selling strongly"

Well as most of us now know, Nintendo DID foolishly cut off the Wii's lifespan early by completely drying up the releases for it, as did the third parties, most of which never really supported Wii from the getgo. So once Nintendo moved on to focus on 3DS and Wii U software, there was no real third party support to carry the load, thus the early die off of Wii. After all, how can a console be expected to continue selling with no new games? Theoretically if Wii continued to get the steady amount of releases it was getting, I'd still contend that it would have, and should have passed the PS2.

Still, I clearly contradicted myself, but I honestly don't remember posting that, or even believing the Wii would pass the PS2. Guess I'm losing track of all my posts, I think I'm spending too much time here -_-

like i said, i was just playing.  it's not like i spent a long time looking for that.  it's amazing what you can find with a vague recollection of the past and a targeted google search.  trust me, if you google "site:http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com kitler53" and any other keyword you'll find plenty of stupid things i've said about whatever topic you want to nail me on.  :P

People argue about the strangest things...

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .