By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - PS2 will remain the best selling console of all time by the end of this gen

ethomaz said:

The thinks not look good for DS in Europe... below Vita... PSP is kicking Vita.

Out of curiosity, do you have North America and Japan graphs? I want to see how well DS is doing there. USA is DS's largest market ATM.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network

@Michael The 3DS is very unlikely to be cut short, like the GBA. 3DS could go either way though, whether its higher than DS or lower it should still be pretty good. I think the DS brand may be done after the 3DS though. Ninty tends to create new brands every 2 gens. I hope it is something new, to bring back that DS flare. Same with the Wii brand. After WiiU, Ninty may be coming with something never seen before, I hope so atleast.

Michael-5 said:
phenom08 said:
Michael-5 said:

So maybe your right then. I didn't realize DS sales have crashed so hard lately. I still find it hard to believe that PS2 is selling/shipping this well over 10 years after its release, but you did make a good point.

I still think DS has a chance at passing PS2. I just feel DS is selling a larger portion of its shipped figure. Still.....

Guess 3DS will have to take top spot, it's outpacing the DS so far.

DS can't pull it off, Sony sells to more markets and Ninty isn't concerned with passing the PS2. Just concerned with killing Sony's future plats. On the handheld side its working. We will find out if it worked on the home console side when the PS4 releases.

Maybe. Nintendo cut GBA's life real short because of the PSP, and really hurt Sony's PSV with the hefty price drop on 3DS units. If Nintendo can eliminate Sony from the hand-held market (which might happen if Monster Hunter stays Nintendo, and Square Enix stops supporting Sony handhelds), then the 3DS successor will rake in A LOT of sales.

Precisely, thats what Ninty knows as well. Ninty probably knows the 3DS can't expand any further than the DS since it has it's sequels. Same with WiiU. Expand into red territory, while still catering to the blue ocean created last gen. That's Ninty's motto with 3DS and WiiU I think. Next gen we will see Ninty creating new brands to expand farther than what the DS and Wii carved out.

Michael-5 said:
ethomaz said:

Out of curiosity, do you have North America and Japan graphs? I want to see how well DS is doing there. USA is DS's largest market ATM.

See his thread, it has all 3.

phenom08 said:
Michael-5 said:

Maybe. Nintendo cut GBA's life real short because of the PSP, and really hurt Sony's PSV with the hefty price drop on 3DS units. If Nintendo can eliminate Sony from the hand-held market (which might happen if Monster Hunter stays Nintendo, and Square Enix stops supporting Sony handhelds), then the 3DS successor will rake in A LOT of sales.

Precisely, thats what Ninty knows as well. Ninty probably knows the 3DS can't expand any further than the DS since it has it's sequels. Same with WiiU. Expand into red territory, while still catering to the blue ocean created last gen. That's Ninty's motto with 3DS and WiiU I think. Next gen we will see Ninty creating new brands to expand farther than what the DS and Wii carved out.

Well, lets see how well these systems do. ATM I have no plans to get a 3DS because I have too many DS games to beat, and the games I am interested in are fall 2013 titles (Fire Emblem and Bravery Default if it comes out in NA). I also have no plans to get a Wii U because I'm a relatively new Wii owner and have only beaten 2 of my 20 Wii games.

Nintendo seems to be doing a good job attracting 3rd party developers to make games for the Wii U, but I wish they made the Mass Effect Trilogy for Wii U. 3DS to me seems to be doing okay, but I don't think Nintendo will ever make a handheld with as strong of a software lineup as they did for GBA (at least not to me).

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Around the Network
Farsala said:
Michael-5 said:
ethomaz said:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=149090&page=1

That thread? Doesn't have a sonnected scatter graph like above. I want to see weekly variations.

Michael-5 said:
Farsala said:
Michael-5 said:
ethomaz said:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=149090&page=1

That thread? Doesn't have a sonnected scatter graph like above. I want to see weekly variations.

It has monthly for USA, and weekly for handhelds in japan at least.

pezus said:
Michael-5 said:

So maybe your right then. I didn't realize DS sales have crashed so hard lately. I still find it hard to believe that PS2 is selling/shipping this well over 10 years after its release, but you did make a good point.

I still think DS has a chance at passing PS2. I just feel DS is selling a larger portion of its shipped figure. Still.....

Guess 3DS will have to take top spot, it's outpacing the DS so far.

It's all about supply and demand. Sony are not shipping PS2s to places where the demand is none. So the sales vs. shipped ratio should be very very similar for PS2 and DS

Well what you said is half right.

PS2 does ship to less core gaming markets (like Brazil, and South Africa) where DS mostly ships to prime markets. However what this means is that Nintendo ships to larger retailers like Best Buy, where PS2 is selling in small retailers primarily (EB Games/Coscto/BestBuy don't sell PS2's, but The Sony Store did not to long ago, maybe they still do). What this means that if say PS2 and DS shipped the same number of units, PS2's will be spread out over more stores (So maybe each store which carries PS2's will carry an average of 1-2 PS2's), but DS's shipments are more concentrated (so maybe retailers carry 5-10 DS systems on average). What this means is that more PS2's are on store shelves, being sold at retailers which really don't sell PS2's, Where DS's could be selling their inventory because it isn't hard to keep stock if the system is selling in limited retailers and fairly well.

However, realistically there won't be a huge difference from Shipped-Sold ratios between PS2 and DS. However if we see an instance where PS2 ships 50,000 more units then DS, it really isn't correct to say PS2 is outselling DS because we simply don't know that.

That said, I have my fingers crossed for DS, but.....it doesn't look too too good. No DS micro to give the system a last second boost in sales lol.

Michael-5 said:

However, realistically there won't be a huge difference from Shipped-Sold ratios between PS2 and DS. However if we see an instance where PS2 ships 50,000 more units then DS, it really isn't correct to say PS2 is outselling DS because we simply don't know that.

Those shipped consoles will be sold eventually.

runqvist said:
Michael-5 said:

Those shipped consoles will be sold eventually.

Yes, that's true, eventually, where DS might be selling them now. Do you not understand why shipped =/= sold?