By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - PS2 will remain the best selling console of all time by the end of this gen

Michael-5 said:
runqvist said:
Michael-5 said:

However, realistically there won't be a huge difference from Shipped-Sold ratios between PS2 and DS. However if we see an instance where PS2 ships 50,000 more units then DS, it really isn't correct to say PS2 is outselling DS because we simply don't know that.

Those shipped consoles will be sold eventually.

Yes, that's true, eventually, where DS might be selling them now. Do you not understand why shipped =/= sold?

And that is relevant on a discussion about which console will eventually sell more? Do you not understand?

Around the Network

i wonder why does it even matter at this point if DS sells better than PS2? Both systems are done and its not even relevant to what the original OP stated.

runqvist said:
Michael-5 said:
runqvist said:
Michael-5 said:

However, realistically there won't be a huge difference from Shipped-Sold ratios between PS2 and DS. However if we see an instance where PS2 ships 50,000 more units then DS, it really isn't correct to say PS2 is outselling DS because we simply don't know that.

Those shipped consoles will be sold eventually.

Yes, that's true, eventually, where DS might be selling them now. Do you not understand why shipped =/= sold?

And that is relevant on a discussion about which console will eventually sell more? Do you not understand?

Yes, but if PS2 sells what it ships now in the future, and DS sells what it ships now, leaving room to ship more in the future, then DS will sell more in the future.

If DS runs out of stock because shipments do not meet demand, but PS2 is discontinued because the system is stocked up to meet demand for an extensive period of time, then DS will sell more in the end.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

pezus said:

They won't ship more until more are needed though, and so far PS2 has consistently been outshipping DS for a few quarters, which implies that there is more demand for the PS2.

Probably, but if VGC has tracked sales at 6 million less then what's being shipped during 2010 and 2011, it could mean Sony is planning to discontinue to PS2.

However realistically....3DS has smoothly killed the DS.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

pezus said:
Michael-5 said:
pezus said:

They won't ship more until more are needed though, and so far PS2 has consistently been outshipping DS for a few quarters, which implies that there is more demand for the PS2.

Probably, but if VGC has tracked sales at 6 million less then what's being shipped during 2010 and 2011, it could mean Sony is planning to discontinue to PS2.

However realistically....3DS has smoothly killed the DS.

All it means though is that VGC have no idea how to track the "other" region, or even Europe for some systems (PSP)

This is probably why they stopped "tracking" PS2 sales. They can't get accurate data from "other" regions since not 1 chain dominates.

Around the Network
pezus said:

With the Quarterly shipments up by Nintendo and Sony, VGC has boosted DS sales by 25-50% for the last few weeks (sold 60k last week instead of 45, 33 at the start of september instead of 25).

I think this holiday could help DS, maybe it still has a chance.

I feel the 'loser' (if you call one of them that) will be the one that gets discontinued the first.

They're so close, if the PS2 gets discontinued before DS, it will only take a few months more for DS to overtake it. If DS is discontinued first, well then obviously PS2 wins. Let's see how this holiday works out at least. It's interesting to follow to say the least.

this thread brought about many arguments. the DS has outsold the PS2 for one, the DS is still selling (The Vita is only now barely able to outsell that!) So there really shouldn't be an argument here when the facts are on this website itself.

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

The thread title didn't specify "home" console, merely "console".

PS2 stopped...but parents will continue to buy a DS when their kids wanted a 3DS.

Uninformed parents will funnily enough decide the fate of which is the best selling console of all time lol

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

I still believe PS2 holds the crown.