By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Now that ME2 has settled around a 96 on meta, do you think it will be GOTY?

Now that ME2 has settled around a 96 on meta, do you think it will be GOTY?

Definitely 70 23.89%

Maybe 140 47.78%

Unsure 21 7.17%

Not likely 45 15.36%

No, thats impossible 17 5.80%

Total:293
CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:
CGI-Quality said:
coolbeans said:
CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:
Twistedpixel said:

Mass Effect 2 is a strong contender, however with so many games delayed into 2010 we've got so much competition. Arguably last year was soft in comparison to 2008 and 2010 (expected) on every platform.

Just the GOTY contenders I know:

• Mass Effect 2
  • Splinter Cell: Conviction
  • Halo: Reach
  • Battlefield Bad Company 2 (slim chance but possible)
  • Heavy Rain ( To many low reviews already to be in the running for GOTY )
  • Gran Turismo 5
  • Last Guardian
  • Half Life Ep 3 (if releases) (They wont give an expansion GOTY )
  • God of War 3
  • Zelda?
  • Metroid: Other M
  • Alan Wake
  • Fable 3

Fixed!

Again with this foolishness selnor? Do me a favor, show me these 'low reviews' and you might be on to something.

While they're not low (1-5) review scores, there's been a 6 and a few 7's given to it by French sites (I believe n4g has some of them alotted there).  One thing to note is ME:2 isn't impervious of 7's from there either.

It has one 7.5 and a 6 that won't even be counted, it's from a non-credible sorce. Therefore, the majority of it's reviews have been quite good. I'm not saying it will be a GOTY candidate, it won't. But selnor likes to blow smoke, and he's not speaking with any solid proof.

Remember, I have the Official Thread with reviews. It got one 16/20: 7.5 and a 6/10 which isn't counted notr credible.

Firstly I'm not blowing smoke. I say low, as in impressions. Gamersydes review was quite upbeat, but also equally issue laden. A review like that would normally get put on Meta at 7/10 or 70 I should say. It's not fair if no score is given but it happens to all games.

Heavy Rain will score high 70's low 80's meta. Thats it's target. For a game to score high 80's or 90's it has to start off on meta at about 94 or 95. They usually drop 2 or 3. Look at ME2. It was 99 and 98 for ages at the start. Now it settled at 96. The lower it starts the more they drop. say 90 will likely drop to 82. It just happens all of the time. So far Heavy Rain has 2 reviews and starts at 90.3. So like I said it will finish high 70's low 80's. I predict 83. It wont be GOTY material.

It's not blowing smoke, it's being realistic. Quote me for sure. I always watch meta. And the fall in scores is almost to scarily easy to predict.

Heavy Rain metacritic will settle on 83.

You still have provided no proof to your argument, it's just more of the same, speculation. What you think will/won't happen on Meta doesn't show how these 'low reviews' are real. So now it's impressions, rather than soild reviews? I'm sorry bud, you're showing your true colors more and more, it's really a shame too.

End of the day, HEAVY RAIN will not be a GOTY candidate, I've said this time and time again. But to make such claims and then not have any proof IS blowing smoke. I know you're happy for Mass Effect 2, as am I. But you have a habit of trying to make PS3 games look bad to suit your argument, and this is one of those times.

I didnt post the low reviews because you have already dismissed them. Using pure knowledge of how games perform on Meta from the past show that Heavy Rain will settle around 83. IT's a very easy formula to see when viewing Meta scores from the first few to the last.

Around the Network

GOTY awards 2010 (from most to least):

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Starcraft 2
3. GT5
4. God of War III
5. Alan Wake
6. Maria Galaxy 2
7. Halo: Reach
8. Battlefield Bad Company 2

Note: Zelda and The last guardian won't release this year.

Slimebeast said:

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Starcraft 2
3. GT5
4. God of War III
5. Alan Wake
6. Maria Galaxy 2

Red - How do you know?

Sadly work is keeping me from reading this entire thread (which looks to be interesting!), but I voted for "maybe" as I think the recency/latency affect will come in to play here.

Really good games that release later in the year will compare favorably to great games released earlier in the year as people will be done with the old, and enamored with the new. I'm not saying it doesn't stand a chance though.

bobobologna said:
Maybe. We should have this conversation when, you know, more than 5 games have been released this year.

I agree this is way too early in the year. Mass Effect 2 is a great game, but I hoping that there will be many more this year.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
Slimebeast said:

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Starcraft 2
3. GT5
4. God of War III
5. Alan Wake
6. Maria Galaxy 2

Red - How do you know?

I'm assuming it, or else I wouldnt be able to do a top list of GOTY's. I have good reasons.

Slimebeast said:
Carl2291 said:
Slimebeast said:

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Starcraft 2
3. GT5
4. God of War III
5. Alan Wake
6. Maria Galaxy 2

Red - How do you know?

I'm assuming it, or else I wouldnt be able to do a top list of GOTY's. I have good reasons.

What reasons? Im curious...

Ninty have Zelda scheduled for 2010... The Last Guardian, nobody knows how far along it is.

Carl2291 said:
Slimebeast said:
Carl2291 said:
Slimebeast said:

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Starcraft 2
3. GT5
4. God of War III
5. Alan Wake
6. Maria Galaxy 2

Red - How do you know?

What reasons? Im curious...

Ninty have Zelda scheduled for 2010... The Last Guardian, nobody knows how far along it is.

TLG many reasons. One being the news just the other day, that Umeda guy said 'have patience'. Others that between ICO and SOTC there was 4 years, but that was within the same gen. This time new tech, takes longer to develop. Plus we haven't seen any gameplay. Plus almost all big games have been delayed in this gen.

Zelda I have no arguments lol. It's just the pessimist in me who is thinking 2011, cos Im really excited by that game myself, and is too good to be true for it to come 2010. Plus, Nintendo has a nice 2010 even without Zelda.

CGI-Quality said:
GT5 will not win more GOTY awards, or be nominated higher than God of War III. I know it's one of the biggest IPs in the industry, but it's still a racing/driving game. They rarely win those, unless of course the name is Mario Kart.

I know, I agree with that argument in principle. I have made an assumption though that GT5 will truly be something special, getting fantastic praise, 95% Meta etc. Maybe that's still not enough though.

I'll go with "maybe".

ME2 is clearly fantastic, but there are many fantastic games releasing this year, and ME2 may suffer from Q1-release-syndrome: GoTY awards are usually given to games which release in Q3/Q4.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective