By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Now that ME2 has settled around a 96 on meta, do you think it will be GOTY?

Now that ME2 has settled around a 96 on meta, do you think it will be GOTY?

Definitely 70 23.89%

Maybe 140 47.78%

Unsure 21 7.17%

Not likely 45 15.36%

No, thats impossible 17 5.80%

Total:293

There are many strong contenders this year, but it has a good chance

Around the Network

Probably

No idea.. there are other great games coming like FFXIII, GOW3 and Heavy Rain.. but its without a doubt a contender for GOTY by the looks of it

Currently playing: MAG, Heavy Rain, Infamous

Getting Plat trophies for: Heavy Rain, Infamous, RE5,  Burnout and GOW collection once I get it.

nightsurge said:
CGI-Quality said:
nightsurge said:
CGI-Quality said:
huaxiong90 said:
selnor said:
The chance of 2 games in 1 year scoring 96+ on metacritic is very low. Based on pure reviews across the board it should walk away with more than Halo 3's 149 GOTY's. Who knows. It deserves it. It is the toughest year yet for releases. 2007 was quite tough. 2008 wasnt to bad. 2009 was a poor year for games in terms of potential GOTY. But 2010 has loads of games that could get GOTY. Whether any of the games get above a 96 meta is a small chance. We shall see I guess.

If you're taking the PS3 or Wii or 360 into account...you can't be further from the truth.

Fixed.

Fixed again.

I thought all 3 had horrible years comparative to past years.  So I guess if you want to believe one still had a good year, then they all still did

Nah, that was the PS3's best year yet. Sure, 2008 saw MGS4, Valkyria Chronicles & LBP but it didn't have the likes of:

- Flower

- Uncharted 2

- Killzone 2

- inFAMOUS

- Demon's Souls

Among other things. To me, it was 360's worst and not because the 360 is bad, it just couldn't compete with 2008, and certainly not the Godly 'Year of the Xbox 360': 2007!

Of that list, only Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2 seem GotY worthy... so I still stand by my claim that they all had bad years last year.  360 still had Forza 3, Left 4 Dead 2, ODST, Halo Wars, among others.  I definitely agree it was no where near 2007 level, but I just don't see the Wii in particular as having a better lineup last year than either PS3 or 360.  All their line-ups were lacking in AAA GotY material.  It was a year of multiplat dominance.  Of course this is IMO.

Why isn't Demon's Souls GOTY material?

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

ME2 will certainly take the most GOTY awards.

It's already the most praised game of this console generation and I believe it will remain so.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
1337 Gamer said:
CGI-Quality said:
nightsurge said:
CGI-Quality said:
huaxiong90 said:
selnor said:
The chance of 2 games in 1 year scoring 96+ on metacritic is very low. Based on pure reviews across the board it should walk away with more than Halo 3's 149 GOTY's. Who knows. It deserves it. It is the toughest year yet for releases. 2007 was quite tough. 2008 wasnt to bad. 2009 was a poor year for games in terms of potential GOTY. But 2010 has loads of games that could get GOTY. Whether any of the games get above a 96 meta is a small chance. We shall see I guess.

If you're taking the PS3 or Wii or 360 into account...you can't be further from the truth.

Fixed.

Fixed again.

I thought all 3 had horrible years comparative to past years.  So I guess if you want to believe one still had a good year, then they all still did

Nah, that was the PS3's best year yet. Sure, 2008 saw MGS4, Valkyria Chronicles & LBP but it didn't have the likes of:

- Flower

- Uncharted 2

- Killzone 2

- inFAMOUS

- Demon's Souls

Among other things. To me, it was 360's worst and not because the 360 is bad, it just couldn't compete with 2008, and certainly not the Godly 'Year of the Xbox 360': 2010!

Fixed ;)

The year hasn't taken full shape yet.

I have no doubt in my mind that this will be a monstrous year for the Xbox 360. It'll just have MUCH more competition this year than it did in 2007, as the PS3 will have much more this year than last.

I know im just messin. This year is absolutly fantastic no matter what console(s) you own! So many exclusives and so many AAA potential games!

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

huaxiong90 said:
selnor said:
CGI-Quality said:
nightsurge said:
CGI-Quality said:
huaxiong90 said:
selnor said:

Fixed.

Fixed again.

- Flower

- Uncharted 2

- Killzone 2

- inFAMOUS

- Demon's Souls

Among other things. To me, it was 360's worst and not because the 360 is bad, it just couldn't compete with 2008, and certainly not the Godly 'Year of the Xbox 360': 2007!

I think you missed my point. I wasnt saying there werent good games. Just not a great year for what is considered GOTY contenders.

Certainly wouldn't ever include: Flower, Infamous and Demon's Souls as a GOTY contender. U2 and Killzone 2 were alot better games.

Umm...why is Demon's Souls NOT GOTY material?

Basically this is not about personal opinion. This is about what websites and the like are going to give GOTY.

Firstly I would never expect any game that gets below 90 on meta to be crowned GOTY.

Demon Souls got 89. Thats a good score. But not GOTY potential. How many GOTY games do you know that have metaed lower than 90?

Flower got 87 and Infamous 85. These are not GOTY contenders. Good games but nowhere near contenders. If they are classed as contenders, then my point stands. A poor year for GOTY contenders.

This year is likely to se 7 or 8 games all contending with 90-92+ on meta.

gamelover2000 said:
No idea.. there are other great games coming like FFXIII, GOW3 and Heavy Rain.. but its without a doubt a contender for GOTY by the looks of it

Chances of FFXIII getting GOTY over Mass Effect 2 are very, very, low.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

huaxiong90 said:
selnor said:
CGI-Quality said:
nightsurge said:
CGI-Quality said:
huaxiong90 said:
selnor said:

Fixed.

Fixed again.

- Flower

- Uncharted 2

- Killzone 2

- inFAMOUS

- Demon's Souls

I think you missed my point. I wasnt saying there werent good games. Just not a great year for what is considered GOTY contenders.

Certainly wouldn't ever include: Flower, Infamous and Demon's Souls as a GOTY contender. U2 and Killzone 2 were alot better games.

Umm...why is Demon's Souls NOT GOTY material?

Demon's Souls hasn't even officially launched here. I doubt many Europeans played it...

The only PS3 game that was worthy as a GOTY contender last year IMO was Uncharted 2.

So the year was fine but nothing special as far as exclusives go. Multiplats all the way !!!!

This year though the exclusives already look much much better.

selnor said:
Twistedpixel said:

Mass Effect 2 is a strong contender, however with so many games delayed into 2010 we've got so much competition. Arguably last year was soft in comparison to 2008 and 2010 (expected) on every platform.

Just the GOTY contenders I know:

• Mass Effect 2
  • Splinter Cell: Conviction
  • Halo: Reach
  • Battlefield Bad Company 2 (slim chance but possible)
  • Heavy Rain ( To many low reviews already to be in the running for GOTY )
  • Gran Turismo 5
  • Last Guardian
  • Half Life Ep 3 (if releases) (They wont give an expansion GOTY )
  • God of War 3
  • Zelda?
  • Metroid: Other M
  • Alan Wake
  • Fable 3
  • Edit: Starcraft 2

Fixed!

How would Half Life Episode 3 be an expansion? They've spent years on the game and the content inside is likely to be immense. In addition to this the game will probably have an epic mix of innovation, evolution and implementation when released. Valve Half-Life games are ALWAYS GOTY contenders. The portal gun is likely to factor in and when they release it, it may even be in another 'Orange Box' with say Portal 2, Left 4 Dead 2.

As for Heavy Rain, it depends as much on the big sites like IGN, Eurogamer, Gametrailers, Edge, Gamespot for their individual GOTY results as much as it does for the overall metacritic. Since it might be hit/miss with some sites it may not win overall but its got a decent chance of picking up a GOTY from one or more of the major review sites.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?