By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Now that ME2 has settled around a 96 on meta, do you think it will be GOTY?

Now that ME2 has settled around a 96 on meta, do you think it will be GOTY?

Definitely 70 23.89%

Maybe 140 47.78%

Unsure 21 7.17%

Not likely 45 15.36%

No, thats impossible 17 5.80%

Total:293

I think I should say good luck for whoever had that bet against Mass Effect 2 and Final Fantasy XIII review scores

:P

Around the Network

The chance of 2 games in 1 year scoring 96+ on metacritic is very low. Based on pure reviews across the board it should walk away with more than Halo 3's 149 GOTY's. Who knows. It deserves it. It is the toughest year yet for releases. 2007 was quite tough. 2008 wasnt to bad. 2009 was a poor year for games in terms of potential GOTY. But 2010 has loads of games that could get GOTY. Whether any of the games get above a 96 meta is a small chance. We shall see I guess.

It has a strong chance.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

selnor said:
The chance of 2 games in 1 year scoring 96+ on metacritic is very low. Based on pure reviews across the board it should walk away with more than Halo 3's 149 GOTY's. Who knows. It deserves it. It is the toughest year yet for releases. 2007 was quite tough. 2008 wasnt to bad. 2009 was a poor year for games in terms of potential GOTY. But 2010 has loads of games that could get GOTY. Whether any of the games get above a 96 meta is a small chance. We shall see I guess.

2009 was a poor year?  Batman: AA, Assassin's Creed 2, Modern Warfare 2, Uncharted 2?  Just because there weren't any amazing XBox360 exclusives to contend for GOTY doesn't mean it was a poor year.

game is kick ass but its a little early to be thinking about that

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network

There is a long time left in 2009, with a lot of AAA games to come.

I would give it a 60% chance right now.

selnor said:

For the Xbox 360, that is. If you're taking the PS3 into account...you can't be further from the truth.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

bobobologna said:
selnor said:

2009 was a poor year?  Batman: AA, Assassin's Creed 2, Modern Warfare 2, Uncharted 2?  Just because there weren't any amazing XBox360 exclusives to contend for GOTY doesn't mean it was a poor year.

Noone expected Assasins Creed 2 to be that great. The first had loads of flaws. Batman AA was a nice surprise, but not GOTY material. There was only 3 real contenders. Killzone 2, MW2 and Uncharted 2. Even Forza 3 was not in the running. Purely because racing sims dont win GOTY. The win other car orientated listings.

To say 2009 was a good year in terms of potential GOTY material. No. Look at 2010:

Mass Effect 2

GOW3

Alan Wake

GT5 ( If it releases )

Splinter Cell Conviction

Halo Reach

Fable 3

The following games had a shot at one point but  I would say no longer do, due to the reviews being fairly low and impressions being from good to so so.

Heavy Rain

White Knight Chronicles

It is too early to say. For example first Super Mario Galaxy has 97 meta and sequel is supposed to come this year.

Mass Effect 2 is a strong contender, however with so many games delayed into 2010 we've got so much competition. Arguably last year was soft in comparison to 2008 and 2010 (expected) on every platform.

Just the GOTY contenders I know:

• Mass Effect 2
  • Splinter Cell: Conviction
  • Halo: Reach
  • Battlefield Bad Company 2 (slim chance but possible)
  • Heavy Rain
  • Gran Turismo 5
  • Last Guardian
  • Half Life Ep 3 (if releases)
  • God of War 3
  • Zelda?
  • Metroid: Other M
  • etc

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?