By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Now that ME2 has settled around a 96 on meta, do you think it will be GOTY?

Now that ME2 has settled around a 96 on meta, do you think it will be GOTY?

Definitely 70 23.89%

Maybe 140 47.78%

Unsure 21 7.17%

Not likely 45 15.36%

No, thats impossible 17 5.80%

Total:293
selnor said:
huaxiong90 said:
selnor said:
CGI-Quality said:
nightsurge said:
CGI-Quality said:
huaxiong90 said:
selnor said:
The chance of 2 games in 1 year scoring 96+ on metacritic is very low. Based on pure reviews across the board it should walk away with more than Halo 3's 149 GOTY's. Who knows. It deserves it. It is the toughest year yet for releases. 2007 was quite tough. 2008 wasnt to bad. 2009 was a poor year for games in terms of potential GOTY. But 2010 has loads of games that could get GOTY. Whether any of the games get above a 96 meta is a small chance. We shall see I guess.

If you're taking the PS3 or Wii or 360 into account...you can't be further from the truth.

Fixed.

Fixed again.

I thought all 3 had horrible years comparative to past years.  So I guess if you want to believe one still had a good year, then they all still did

Nah, that was the PS3's best year yet. Sure, 2008 saw MGS4, Valkyria Chronicles & LBP but it didn't have the likes of:

- Flower

- Uncharted 2

- Killzone 2

- inFAMOUS

- Demon's Souls

Among other things. To me, it was 360's worst and not because the 360 is bad, it just couldn't compete with 2008, and certainly not the Godly 'Year of the Xbox 360': 2007!

I think you missed my point. I wasnt saying there werent good games. Just not a great year for what is considered GOTY contenders.

Certainly wouldn't ever include: Flower, Infamous and Demon's Souls as a GOTY contender. U2 and Killzone 2 were alot better games.

Umm...why is Demon's Souls NOT GOTY material?

Basically this is not about personal opinion. This is about what websites and the like are going to give GOTY.

Firstly I would never expect any game that gets below 90 on meta to be crowned GOTY.

Demon Souls got 89. Thats a good score. But not GOTY potential. How many GOTY games do you know that have metaed lower than 90?

Flower got 87 and Infamous 85. These are not GOTY contenders. Good games but nowhere near contenders. If they are classed as contenders, then my point stands. A poor year for GOTY contenders.

This year is likely to se 7 or 8 games all contending with 90-92+ on meta.

Yeah, I know this isn't about personal opinion, man, but seeing how Gamespot gave it GOTY, I can't help but question why you disagree on DS being GOTY material.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
coolbeans said:
CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:
Twistedpixel said:

Mass Effect 2 is a strong contender, however with so many games delayed into 2010 we've got so much competition. Arguably last year was soft in comparison to 2008 and 2010 (expected) on every platform.

Just the GOTY contenders I know:

• Mass Effect 2
  • Splinter Cell: Conviction
  • Halo: Reach
  • Battlefield Bad Company 2 (slim chance but possible)
  • Heavy Rain ( To many low reviews already to be in the running for GOTY )
  • Gran Turismo 5
  • Last Guardian
  • Half Life Ep 3 (if releases) (They wont give an expansion GOTY )
  • God of War 3
  • Zelda?
  • Metroid: Other M
  • Alan Wake
  • Fable 3

Fixed!

Again with this foolishness selnor? Do me a favor, show me these 'low reviews' and you might be on to something.

While they're not low (1-5) review scores, there's been a 6 and a few 7's given to it by French sites (I believe n4g has some of them alotted there).  One thing to note is ME:2 isn't impervious of 7's from there either.

It has one 7.5 and a 6 that won't even be counted, it's from a non-credible sorce. Therefore, the majority of it's reviews have been quite good. I'm not saying it will be a GOTY candidate, it won't. But selnor likes to blow smoke, and he's not speaking with any solid proof.

Remember, I have the Official Thread with reviews. It got one 16/20: 7.5 and a 6/10 which isn't counted notr credible.

Firstly I'm not blowing smoke. I say low, as in impressions. Gamersydes review was quite upbeat, but also equally issue laden. A review like that would normally get put on Meta at 7/10 or 70 I should say. It's not fair if no score is given but it happens to all games.

Heavy Rain will score high 70's low 80's meta. Thats it's target. For a game to score high 80's or 90's it has to start off on meta at about 94 or 95. They usually drop 2 or 3. Look at ME2. It was 99 and 98 for ages at the start. Now it settled at 96. The lower it starts the more they drop. say 90 will likely drop to 82. It just happens all of the time. So far Heavy Rain has 2 reviews and starts at 90.3. So like I said it will finish high 70's low 80's. I predict 83. It wont be GOTY material.

It's not blowing smoke, it's being realistic. Quote me for sure. I always watch meta. And the fall in scores is almost to scarily easy to predict.

Heavy Rain metacritic will settle on 83.

selnor said:
huaxiong90 said:
selnor said:
CGI-Quality said:
nightsurge said:
CGI-Quality said:
huaxiong90 said:
selnor said:
The chance of 2 games in 1 year scoring 96+ on metacritic is very low. Based on pure reviews across the board it should walk away with more than Halo 3's 149 GOTY's. Who knows. It deserves it. It is the toughest year yet for releases. 2007 was quite tough. 2008 wasnt to bad. 2009 was a poor year for games in terms of potential GOTY. But 2010 has loads of games that could get GOTY. Whether any of the games get above a 96 meta is a small chance. We shall see I guess.

If you're taking the PS3 or Wii or 360 into account...you can't be further from the truth.

Fixed.

Fixed again.

I thought all 3 had horrible years comparative to past years.  So I guess if you want to believe one still had a good year, then they all still did

Nah, that was the PS3's best year yet. Sure, 2008 saw MGS4, Valkyria Chronicles & LBP but it didn't have the likes of:

- Flower

- Uncharted 2

- Killzone 2

- inFAMOUS

- Demon's Souls

Among other things. To me, it was 360's worst and not because the 360 is bad, it just couldn't compete with 2008, and certainly not the Godly 'Year of the Xbox 360': 2007!

I think you missed my point. I wasnt saying there werent good games. Just not a great year for what is considered GOTY contenders.

Certainly wouldn't ever include: Flower, Infamous and Demon's Souls as a GOTY contender. U2 and Killzone 2 were alot better games.

Basically this is not about personal opinion. This is about what websites and the like are going to give GOTY.

Firstly I would never expect any game that gets below 90 on meta to be crowned GOTY.

Demon Souls got 89. Thats a good score. But not GOTY potential. How many GOTY games do you know that have metaed lower than 90?

Flower got 87 and Infamous 85. These are not GOTY contenders. Good games but nowhere near contenders. If they are classed as contenders, then my point stands. A poor year for GOTY contenders.

Just need to ask you something.

What was GameSpot's Game of the Year from 2009? Beating out Uncharted 2, Modern Warfare 2, Forza 3, Batman: AA, Killzone 2 etc.?

Its too early to tell. But it is certainly the game to beat.

The only other legitimate candidates I see for the year are the new Zelda, Metroid, and God of War.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Very good chance. But...

It's still too early to tell as there as some other pretty big games still to launch this year, both on PS3 and 360.

Plus, it's launching early, so it will be vulnerable to a nearly as good title launching later in the year and being fresher in many reviewers/voters minds.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
selnor said:
huaxiong90 said:
selnor said:
CGI-Quality said:
nightsurge said:
CGI-Quality said:
huaxiong90 said:
selnor said:

Fixed.

Fixed again.

- Flower

- Uncharted 2

- Killzone 2

- inFAMOUS

- Demon's Souls

What was GameSpot's Game of the Year from 2009? Beating out Uncharted 2, Modern Warfare 2, Forza 3, Batman: AA, Killzone 2 etc.?

Come on. How many did it win in total. And was it even in the official overall GOTY form whatever company does the official one?

It wasnt even 4th when you considered that

Uncharted 2 won the most followed by:

MW2

Killzone 2

and Forza 3.

If it were released last year I would call it Game of the Year but since it's only February there's no reason to make that call yet.

selnor said:
Carl2291 said:
selnor said:
huaxiong90 said:
selnor said:
CGI-Quality said:
nightsurge said:
CGI-Quality said:
huaxiong90 said:
selnor said:

Fixed.

Fixed again.

- Flower

- Uncharted 2

- Killzone 2

- inFAMOUS

- Demon's Souls

Come on. How many did it win in total. And was it even in the official overall GOTY form whatever company does the official one?

It wasnt even 4th when you considered that

Uncharted 2 won the most followed by:

MW2

Killzone 2

and Forza 3.

You are wrong.

There isn't a big "official" game of the year. It is a group of awards given out by a group of sites/mags/whatever for there OWN game of the year.

Demon's Souls won 4 GotY award, Killzone 2 won 1, Forza 3 didn't win any AFAIK.

The order of things on top 4... Goes in the following order.

Uncharted 2 (100)
Batman: AA (24)
Dragon Age: Origins (16)
Modern Warfare 2 (14)

Source.

I'm 16 hours into ME2 and I said maybe. It's fantastic, but every year there are games that come out of nowhere and blow people away... apart from the heavy hitters. Last year in particular there was Demon's Souls and Arkham Asylum which few expected to turn out so well.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

GOTY contender?Definately
GOTY winner?Nope,i dont think so.Theres still God of war 3 and Gran Turismo 5,and bioshock 2,and halor reach,and super mario galaxy 2