By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Now that ME2 has settled around a 96 on meta, do you think it will be GOTY?

Now that ME2 has settled around a 96 on meta, do you think it will be GOTY?

Definitely 70 23.89%

Maybe 140 47.78%

Unsure 21 7.17%

Not likely 45 15.36%

No, thats impossible 17 5.80%

Total:293
Kantor said:
I'll go with "maybe".

ME2 is clearly fantastic, but there are many fantastic games releasing this year, and ME2 may suffer from Q1-release-syndrome: GoTY awards are usually given to games which release in Q3/Q4.

I was thinking the same thing.  In 2008, Fallout 3 got the most GOTY awards.  GTA4 and MSG4 both had higher metacritic ratings, be were released early in the year, hurting their chances.

Around the Network

Wait till Metroid Other M, Mario Galaxy 2, Heavy Rain, GOWIII, Starcraft 2, Castlevania Lords of Shadow, Bioshock 2 and Final Fantasy XIII release. Not to mention any unforeseen titles and other titles people aren't considering for possible 'GOTY' status.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Does it really matter whether the game is GOTY ?

I just never understood what is the purpose of this title, there are so many awesome games released every year its impossible to Universally declare one as GOTY , and such decisions are only a matter of preference. So this whole debate is kinda pointless

I don't think it will be since there are some faulty game play mechanics and there are a lot of supposed amazing titles coming this year on all platforms.

Lolcislaw said:

Does it really matter whether the game is GOTY ?

I just never understood what is the purpose of this title, there are so many awesome games released every year its impossible to Universally declare one as GOTY , and such decisions are only a matter of preference. So this whole debate is kinda pointless

Its just another thing people on forums can argue about.  It hardly matters for anyone except the one group that obtains that notification.  And since there's hundreds of magazine, online sites and 'panels' handing out token 'GOTY' status now, its rather pointless now.  Almost as pointless as all those venues themselves.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network

i mean i'd say its a nominee (even though i havent played it yet) for RPG of the year at the very least but unless ffxiii turns out to be a hit (witch preliminary reviews suggest it wont) i cant think of any other rpgs coming this yea rthat would challenge it for RPG but game of the year is too soon to say. the years is Just beginning.

No possibility imo. Gotys are a long way away. The pro xbox sites will be in a Halo frenzy and the PC centric sites who support rpgs like DA:O will go for Starcraft 2 if it makes it out and gets decent reviews. Bioware's latest is a long way from tradtional.

ME2 may take one or two of the big sites but not nearly what UC2 pulled off. GOW 3, FF XII, GT5, Bioshock 2, Reach, SMG 2, Starcraft 2, Zelda and COD Mekong Delta would all have to get pretty poor reviews for a clearcut winner in 2010. In my toootally unbiased opinion too many sites are dominated by a vocal PS3 majority to risk voting for a M$ exclusive. See Mr. Miller's 'Deal with it" article on IGN and reactions for an idea of what they would face!

This is a very good game but at 96 I put it with Bioshock, GTA IV and The Orange Box in my overrated category. Gasp! I certainly won't be playing it half as much as the first one. Kind of dark and joyless to me.  I'm dreading Insanity with that brutal cover mechanic. Hardcore is pretty painful with a scratch or import character.  Besides, I heard Alan Wake was being fitted for glasses and his flashlight could control gravity. GOTY guaranteed!

Recon1O1 said:
No possibility imo. Gotys are a long way away. The pro xbox sites will be in a Halo frenzy and the PC centric sites who support rpgs like DA:O will go for Starcraft 2 if it makes it out and gets decent reviews. Bioware's latest is a long way from tradtional.

ME2 may take one or two of the big sites but not nearly what UC2 pulled off. GOW 3, FF XII, GT5, Bioshock 2, Reach, Starcraft 2, Zelda and COD Mekong Delta would all have to get pretty poor reviews for a clearcut winner in 2010. In my toootally unbiased opinion too many sites are dominated by a vocal PS3 majority to risk voting for a M$ exclusive. See Mr. Miller's 'Deal with it" article on IGN and reactions for an idea of what they would face!

This is a very good game but at 96 I put it with Bioshock, GTA IV and The Orange Box in my overrated category. Gasp! I certainly won't be playing it half as much as the first one. I'm dreading Insanity with that brutal cover mechanic. Besides, I heard Alan Wake was being
fitted for glasses and his flashlight could control gravity. GOTY guaranteed!

To be honest, I don't recall a single FF game get a GOTY award. And I seriously doubt it's going to sway Western reviewers over Mass Effect 2.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

itll defenetly get a prize of some sort anyway thats for sure

Maybe.