By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Now that ME2 has settled around a 96 on meta, do you think it will be GOTY?

Now that ME2 has settled around a 96 on meta, do you think it will be GOTY?

Definitely 70 23.89%

Maybe 140 47.78%

Unsure 21 7.17%

Not likely 45 15.36%

No, thats impossible 17 5.80%

Total:293

Put me down as maybe.

Its too early to say for certain yet.

Around the Network
Baph77737 said:
huaxiong90 said:
Wagram said:
huaxiong90 said:
GodOfWar_3ever said:
it'll probably get a few GOTY awards but its a bit too early doncha think ?
GoW 3
Alan Wake
Halo Reach
GT5
FF XIII

All possible GOTY contenders.

Doubt it. If it does, I'll be amazed. It'll be the first FF to get GOTY.

Final Fantasy XII recieved quite a few Game of the Year awards. Mass Effect 2 will probably take quite a few. But there is 1 game that I know that will be my GoTY as they always are and it is FF13 :)

Overall GOTY awards? No, I don't recall any. I'll be amazed if it gets GOTY awards over Mass Effect 2.

Play Magazine gave FFX-2 rpg of the year of 2003 over KOTOR.  They only gave the first ME and 87,  And, I'm holding on to see what Dave Halverson and crew have to say about the new one before I give it any props for being a great game.

The best thing about it in my opinion now though is that it is fun to see 360 fans say any xbox game is going to get goty over Halo:  Reach.

Interesting, but still, I'm talking about overall GOTY. Besides, a 96 is a high score (though looking at gamerankings' trends over the past few days, it seems ME2 might lose the 96).

But if FFXIII also gets the nod over ME2 as RPG of the year, I'll be impressed.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

If Zelda drops this year, I think it would take most GotY awards. I get the feeling it'll be Nintendo's next SMG, ending up as the highest scoring Zelda since Ocarina.

Or I could be wrong. Won't know until it's out, after all.

And if the Last Guardian drops this year, I could see it getting the nod from the more artsy sites. 

Aside from that, Mass Effect would probably take GotY.

Of course, games released at the start of the year are sometimes overlooked when the end of the year rolls around, something I find to be very annoying. I'm not sure if it's the high that accompanies the more recent holiday release or what, but more often than not GotY awards are slanted towards games released in the last half of the year. If ME2 ends up being significantly higher than the rest in the end, it should have nothing to worry about from this, though.

Edit: 

I voted with a firm, definitive maybe.

@Selnor: There is no overall game of the year award we can look to to determine the actual game of the year. It's all done on a per publication basis, and what might not be a GotY contender for one site might be for another.

Heavy Rain was obviously always going to be a rather polarizing game, which some will love and some will hate (much like its predecessor, Fahrenheit), and just because some French site gives it a 7 doesn't mean it won't get a 9.5 and GotY from some other site.

You can't reasonably claim Heavy Rain won't be a GotY contender on only 1-2 reviews, and this is coming from a guy that hasn't really ever been excited for the title.

Game of the year, so early in the year? Has that ever happened before? I guess it all depends on the lasting impression. Even if its a better game than some of the titles that come out in November, it will be an OLD game. The newer games will be fresh on reviewer's minds and will have somewhat of an advantage.

That's why new games (typically) never make it on "Greatest Game of All Time" lists, even though they get higher reviews than older games. It's all about the lasting impression.