Quantcast
A Biased Review Reloaded - Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild in Review One Year Later

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A Biased Review Reloaded - Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild in Review One Year Later

If the bias is positive and you gave it a 9, isn't that the same as a negatively biased 7?
*googles how to DDoS

I think the graphics score should be higher. If the world was smaller, less open, on the PS4 and didn't allow you to paraglide any direction from the top of a 500ft+ mountain then the pop in could have been avoided/minimised. As things stand I can't think of a bigger, more open world that doesn't have these problems or wouldn't if done with the same freedom. They also managed to do it without (m)any bugs/glitches. It's a bigger technical achievement than Crysis was on the PC.

I agree with replayability compared to the 2D but compared to the other 3Ds it's the only one that is replayable.

What score would you have given to OoT and SS at release? Do you have an example of a 10?



Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network

Need an AI section, and a Physics section



Super_Boom said:
RolStoppable said:

The real story are the player's actions and it's not even defeating Ganon that feels like the ultimate goal, rather it's the journey itself. Players have become so used to beating a game as the reward that they've forgotten how fun games can be regardless of if they are finished or not. This is why Breath of the Wild got bombarded with perfect scores, because its premise is "you, the player, are great" instead of the all too common "look how awesome we developers are."

I agree with most of your points here, but this part in particular stood out. The journey is definitely where the game shines. It's not a game where I find myself plotting how soon I'll get to the end, every gaming session is a complete surprise and surpasses my wildest expectations.

I also must say that I love how the narrative was executed in this game. You pretty much can have as much story as you like, or as little. I honestly don't play enough games that feature story-telling like this, and I'd love to see it more often, particularly in this genre. Giving me control of how I advance through the world, only  to force me to listen to mandatory main quest events, definitely hinders that that feeling of complete control.

Anyways, excellent review, Rol. Hope to see this continue.

Why is that considered unique to BotW, though?  I mean, the first time I played Skyrim, I was over level 100 without ever beating the main story.  I mostly ran out and adventured on my own.  When the HD version came out, I replayed it and purposefully ignored the main story, to the point that dragons weren't even spawning (which was so nice), while I went out and became a vampire as soon as possible and played the entire game as the most evil thing in the realm.



It's weird to see a game that has a 100 plus hours of content get a yellow for replayability, I guess technically once you've spent that much time on the game there is no reason to go back, but it's still is kinda weird lol



Something...Something...Games...Something

pokoko said:

Why is that considered unique to BotW, though?  I mean, the first time I played Skyrim, I was over level 100 without ever beating the main story.  I mostly ran out and adventured on my own.  When the HD version came out, I replayed it and purposefully ignored the main story, to the point that dragons weren't even spawning (which was so nice), while I went out and became a vampire as soon as possible and played the entire game as the most evil thing in the realm.

I haven't played Skyrim in a while, but I thought I recalled there being several main quests required to complete the game. Sure you can ignore these quests and do your own thing, which is awesome (vampire poko arc sounds like the bomb), but there are still typically key milestones if you aim to complete it.

In this case, the game can be beaten without exposure to a single story event (well excepting the tutorial maybe). Probably doesn't matter to anyone that wants the full experience anyway, but making an open narrative on top of open progression leaves me with a sense of control that feels extremely satisfying. I honestly can't think of any other game that's captured this same feeling. It's completely Boom's World!!



NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Around the Network
FarleyMcFirefly said:
The frame rate drops happened a lot when I fought Moblins... It was always Moblins for me for some reason. Other than that, the frame rate was fine for me.

My biggest complaint, I've said it before, I will say it again. The music in this game is unmemorable garbage, aside from a few songs.

On a side note. Has anyone ever noticed the main theme song (played in the reveal trailer and in the end credits)and how it weirdly transitions halfway through? It sounds choppy.

Don't worry, it's normal for your console to explode when fighting Moblins. It really is always them.

I didn't like the music at first either, but after giving it more time it really grew a lot on me. It's one of my favorite Zelda soundtracks - funny how my favorite (Skyward Sword) was also one I didn't appreciate right off the bat.

The main theme transition is clearly intentional at this point, and you can tell it follows the beat of the music well. The way they executed it really is weird af, though.



Good review. I would like some more interiors as well like Hyrule castle and the Forgotten temple. Unfortunately I went way late to Hyrule castle (100+ hours in) and it was a cakewalk by then. I wandered in from the back side, paraglided practically straight into the dining hall without any trouble and explored from there. (Wasn't planned, was on the bay back from the Tabantha tundra. It was still an awesome place to explore although I did it backwards. Climbing to the top while avoiding the tracking beams was a lot of fun.

Currently I'm at 135 hours, 3.5 zones left to explore, 2 more dungeons (just finally got to the Zora domain) 28 more shrines to find, and it's still awesome. Yet after defeating Gannon (which will certainly be anti climatic) I doubt I'll ever start it over. The fun is in exploring, to see what's over the next hill. That doesn't really lend to repeat gameplay.



morenoingrato said:
Although I agree with what you said in value and replay value for this game: won't those two often contradict each other?

 

JakDaSnack said:
It's weird to see a game that has a 100 plus hours of content get a yellow for replayability, I guess technically once you've spent that much time on the game there is no reason to go back, but it's still is kinda weird lol

That's exactly why value is broken down into two categories. It allows me to make it clear how a game really is.

Even if it looks odd, it's fine if people feel that it's right. So far that seems to be the case.

Pyro as Bill said:
If the bias is positive and you gave it a 9, isn't that the same as a negatively biased 7?
*googles how to DDoS

I think the graphics score should be higher. If the world was smaller, less open, on the PS4 and didn't allow you to paraglide any direction from the top of a 500ft+ mountain then the pop in could have been avoided/minimised. As things stand I can't think of a bigger, more open world that doesn't have these problems or wouldn't if done with the same freedom. They also managed to do it without (m)any bugs/glitches. It's a bigger technical achievement than Crysis was on the PC.

I agree with replayability compared to the 2D but compared to the other 3Ds it's the only one that is replayable.

What score would you have given to OoT and SS at release? Do you have an example of a 10?

The graphics score would only need to be higher if I had given other open world games a higher mark. Besides, the framerate dips were easily the bigger factor in going with green.

With the review guideline I have here (no game can get a 10 at release), OoT would have been a 9 and SS an 8. It's also worth noting that very few games got a 9 in the reviews I've written under A Biased Review, so regular readers learned to accept that an 8 is already a very good score instead of "barely above average". A 10 is a game like A Link to the Past. I don't think I would give Ocarina of Time a 10, because it hasn't aged as well; a 9 seems more appropriate.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

RolStoppable said:
morenoingrato said:
Although I agree with what you said in value and replay value for this game: won't those two often contradict each other?

 

JakDaSnack said:
It's weird to see a game that has a 100 plus hours of content get a yellow for replayability, I guess technically once you've spent that much time on the game there is no reason to go back, but it's still is kinda weird lol

That's exactly why value is broken down into two categories. It allows me to make it clear how a game really is.

Even if it looks odd, it's fine if people feel that it's right. So far that seems to be the case.

That depends, the way you currently have it is confusing.  You make it seem like the game lost points due to a lack of replayability.  But then have to clarify that there is over 100 hours of content.  Wouldn't it just be simpler to just have one sections "value" and then give a description of what you mean.  



Something...Something...Games...Something

JakDaSnack said:

That depends, the way you currently have it is confusing.  You make it seem like the game lost points due to a lack of replayability.  But then have to clarify that there is over 100 hours of content.  Wouldn't it just be simpler to just have one sections "value" and then give a description of what you mean.  

I won't be able to avoid confusion because my review scale already greatly differs from the norm. Most of that will be solved over time by writing more reviews and people realizing what colors and scores mean in the big picture. Right now there is a lack of points of reference, so I am not surprised that several people are going to think that I graded Breath of the Wild too low in one area or another.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club