Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A Biased Review Reloaded - Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild in Review One Year Later

mZuzek said:
JGarret said:
Fantastic game, but those motion control puzzles in the shrines are fucking pissing me off big time!

Whoever came up with that shit deserves a big punch in the nose.

I don't even think the idea of having them is that bad (other than being a big nuisance for Wii U Pro Controller players like myself), but the execution is just awful. I got used to gyro controls in lots of Nintendo games (most notably Splatoon) and have grown to really like them, but they work like crap in those puzzles. I'm not sure why, but they just absolutely don't work - and there's not even a recalibrate button.

The one in Hateno Village is all kinds of bullshit.Fuck whoever came up with that particular shrine.

Around the Network
JGarret said:
mZuzek said:

I don't even think the idea of having them is that bad (other than being a big nuisance for Wii U Pro Controller players like myself), but the execution is just awful. I got used to gyro controls in lots of Nintendo games (most notably Splatoon) and have grown to really like them, but they work like crap in those puzzles. I'm not sure why, but they just absolutely don't work - and there's not even a recalibrate button.

The one in Hateno Village is all kinds of bullshit.Fuck whoever came up with that particular shrine.

Oh please, that one's the easiest one of them all. Everyone just turns the maze upside down and does it from there.

I didn't do that, though. I tried it normally a few times, and then when I got frustrated I just tilted the maze enough so I could go inside, freeze the ball with Stasis and homerun.

50 hours in
Just running and listening to the piano notes

mjk45 said:
No talk about lack of enemy diversity , this is exacerbated by the same enemies being everywhere on the map whether that's in the mountains ,snow ,deserts it doesn't matter , talking about weapon breaking my only complaint is there should have been a numbered indicator like you get for weapon atk.

This is subjective but I found the npc's lacked the character of previous zelda's ,and the humour seemed forced in many instances.
,I'm really enjoying the game but the pop up is annoying especially for a game that about exploring I don't know how many times i was about to catch or shoot a creature for them to disappear right infront of me, all in all though a great game that to me if they incorporate elements from oot ,TP etc into the botw template going
forward then as someone who didn't finish skyward sword that will keep me coming back..

The pop up can be quite bad at times when paragliding, plus enemies not showing up when using the scope is kinda annoying. What's the point of scoping out a camp if it's empty until you get close. And true, it could have used some unique enemies per area instead of the same Stone talus', Hinox etc everywhere. However it took me well over 100 hours to really start noticing all these little shortcomings, the diversity in the game is still better than in most. Eventually every open world game will start showing it's underlying repetitive templates, most a whole lot sooner than botw.

mZuzek said:
JGarret said:

Oh please, that one's the easiest one of them all. Everyone just turns the maze upside down and does it from there.

I didn't do that, though. I tried it normally a few times, and then when I got frustrated I just tilted the maze enough so I could go inside, freeze the ball with Stasis and homerun.

Kinda tricky in handheld mode :p Even upside down it takes a bunch of trial and error to get the upswing and direction right with how much lag there is. Very akward way to hold the controller as well.

The ones with the limp hammer are the worst for me. How the controller correlates to the positioning of the hammer seems to change every few seconds.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
mjk45 said:
No talk about lack of enemy diversity , this is exacerbated by the same enemies being everywhere on the map whether that's in the mountains ,snow ,deserts it doesn't matter , talking about weapon breaking my only complaint is there should have been a numbered indicator like you get for weapon atk.

This is subjective but I found the npc's lacked the character of previous zelda's ,and the humour seemed forced in many instances.
,I'm really enjoying the game but the pop up is annoying especially for a game that about exploring I don't know how many times i was about to catch or shoot a creature for them to disappear right infront of me, all in all though a great game that to me if they incorporate elements from oot ,TP etc into the botw template going
forward then as someone who didn't finish skyward sword that will keep me coming back..

The pop up can be quite bad at times when paragliding, plus enemies not showing up when using the scope is kinda annoying. What's the point of scoping out a camp if it's empty until you get close. And true, it could have used some unique enemies per area instead of the same Stone talus', Hinox etc everywhere. However it took me well over 100 hours to really start noticing all these little shortcomings, the diversity in the game is still better than in most. Eventually every open world game will start showing it's underlying repetitive templates, most a whole lot sooner than botw.

I agree , I mentioned those these point's to show that if they use botw as the template going forward that even with it's high rating there is  scope for improvement ,because I don't want the next Zelda to just shoe horn a new story and characters into the same game and not critique themselves because of it's universal acclaim.

I personnaly found during the game there where  times where the game seemed to be not moving forward at a slow pace then I would find or beat something and the whole game  seemed refreshed it was during these down times I really noticed the same old monsters everywhere  and it was exacerbated by after doing so many the shrines they also had a taken on a look of familiarity and you knew there where plenty more now this can  happen in  games but usually the average games length and size lessens the impact.

pokoko said:

The need to prove that BotW has no flaws and that anyone who dislikes any aspect of it is wrong is actually what reeks of desperation.  I haven't seen that kind of self-righteous over-compensation in quite awhile.  I don't even really understand it.  We aren't talking about an average game that people are trying to prove is great, we're talking about a great game that people are hell-bent on proving is perfect, to the point they want to have any criticism nullified before god and scrubbed out of history.

What I find kind of amusing is that I've personally complained about the mechanic of weapons breaking before on these forums--that is, in Fallout: New Vegas, one of my favorite games ever.  I can only assume that I was doing it in order to attack BotW, even though we knew nothing about it at that point.  

It's a good thing then that I am not guilty of claiming that Breath of the Wild is perfection.

As for you, you'd be better off by playing Breath of the Wild instead of basing everything on assumptions and playing the victim card when you rightfully get called out for riding a bandwagon.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Who is that guy who used to give great games horrible scores on this site?

Well this is actually a good score but still feel you scored it too low.

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

RolStoppable said:
pokoko said:

The need to prove that BotW has no flaws and that anyone who dislikes any aspect of it is wrong is actually what reeks of desperation.  I haven't seen that kind of self-righteous over-compensation in quite awhile.  I don't even really understand it.  We aren't talking about an average game that people are trying to prove is great, we're talking about a great game that people are hell-bent on proving is perfect, to the point they want to have any criticism nullified before god and scrubbed out of history.

What I find kind of amusing is that I've personally complained about the mechanic of weapons breaking before on these forums--that is, in Fallout: New Vegas, one of my favorite games ever.  I can only assume that I was doing it in order to attack BotW, even though we knew nothing about it at that point.  

It's a good thing then that I am not guilty of claiming that Breath of the Wild is perfection.

As for you, you'd be better off by playing Breath of the Wild instead of basing everything on assumptions and playing the victim card when you rightfully get called out for riding a bandwagon.

There is no bandwagon and I have no clue what you're talking about with a victim card.  There is only you and people like you trying to discredit opinions rather than accept them as personal preference.  It's a video-game, there is no need for you to be arrogant and self-righteous because someone isn't carrying a faction flag.  I actually liked your review.  Then I see you preaching to someone about what is and is not immersion-breaking for them, as though you are some kind of authority.  That's beyond ridiculous.  You don't get to tell others what breaks immersion for them.  You don't have that right and you never will.  That kind of arrogance over playing a video-game just looks flat-out silly.

pokoko said:

There is no bandwagon and I have no clue what you're talking about with a victim card.  There is only you and people like you trying to discredit opinions rather than accept them as personal preference.  It's a video-game, there is no need for you to be arrogant and self-righteous because someone isn't carrying a faction flag.  I actually liked your review.  Then I see you preaching to someone about what is and is not immersion-breaking for them, as though you are some kind of authority.  That's beyond ridiculous.  You don't get to tell others what breaks immersion for them.  You don't have that right and you never will.  That kind of arrogance over playing a video-game just looks flat-out silly.

People are free to explain why using a quick menu to change weapons is immersion-breaking while going into the main menu for healing is not.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club