By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A Biased Review Reloaded - Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild in Review One Year Later

9 = troll review to bring down Meta. This is the greatest game of all time. Anything less than 11/10 is wrong.

Around the Network

Although I agree with what you said in value and replay value for this game: won't those two often contradict each other?

vivster said:
Good thing you're not on Metacritic. Otherwise you would drag the beautiful number down even more with your terrible score.

Sometimes I hate your posts and sometimes I love them.

I love your posts right now.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

If the bias is positive and you gave it a 9, isn't that the same as a negatively biased 7?
*googles how to DDoS

I think the graphics score should be higher. If the world was smaller, less open, on the PS4 and didn't allow you to paraglide any direction from the top of a 500ft+ mountain then the pop in could have been avoided/minimised. As things stand I can't think of a bigger, more open world that doesn't have these problems or wouldn't if done with the same freedom. They also managed to do it without (m)any bugs/glitches. It's a bigger technical achievement than Crysis was on the PC.

I agree with replayability compared to the 2D but compared to the other 3Ds it's the only one that is replayable.

What score would you have given to OoT and SS at release? Do you have an example of a 10?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Need an AI section, and a Physics section

Around the Network
Super_Boom said:
RolStoppable said:

The real story are the player's actions and it's not even defeating Ganon that feels like the ultimate goal, rather it's the journey itself. Players have become so used to beating a game as the reward that they've forgotten how fun games can be regardless of if they are finished or not. This is why Breath of the Wild got bombarded with perfect scores, because its premise is "you, the player, are great" instead of the all too common "look how awesome we developers are."

I agree with most of your points here, but this part in particular stood out. The journey is definitely where the game shines. It's not a game where I find myself plotting how soon I'll get to the end, every gaming session is a complete surprise and surpasses my wildest expectations.

I also must say that I love how the narrative was executed in this game. You pretty much can have as much story as you like, or as little. I honestly don't play enough games that feature story-telling like this, and I'd love to see it more often, particularly in this genre. Giving me control of how I advance through the world, only  to force me to listen to mandatory main quest events, definitely hinders that that feeling of complete control.

Anyways, excellent review, Rol. Hope to see this continue.

Why is that considered unique to BotW, though?  I mean, the first time I played Skyrim, I was over level 100 without ever beating the main story.  I mostly ran out and adventured on my own.  When the HD version came out, I replayed it and purposefully ignored the main story, to the point that dragons weren't even spawning (which was so nice), while I went out and became a vampire as soon as possible and played the entire game as the most evil thing in the realm.

It's weird to see a game that has a 100 plus hours of content get a yellow for replayability, I guess technically once you've spent that much time on the game there is no reason to go back, but it's still is kinda weird lol

Something...Something...Games...Something

pokoko said:

Why is that considered unique to BotW, though?  I mean, the first time I played Skyrim, I was over level 100 without ever beating the main story.  I mostly ran out and adventured on my own.  When the HD version came out, I replayed it and purposefully ignored the main story, to the point that dragons weren't even spawning (which was so nice), while I went out and became a vampire as soon as possible and played the entire game as the most evil thing in the realm.

I haven't played Skyrim in a while, but I thought I recalled there being several main quests required to complete the game. Sure you can ignore these quests and do your own thing, which is awesome (vampire poko arc sounds like the bomb), but there are still typically key milestones if you aim to complete it.

In this case, the game can be beaten without exposure to a single story event (well excepting the tutorial maybe). Probably doesn't matter to anyone that wants the full experience anyway, but making an open narrative on top of open progression leaves me with a sense of control that feels extremely satisfying. I honestly can't think of any other game that's captured this same feeling. It's completely Boom's World!!

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Good review. I would like some more interiors as well like Hyrule castle and the Forgotten temple. Unfortunately I went way late to Hyrule castle (100+ hours in) and it was a cakewalk by then. I wandered in from the back side, paraglided practically straight into the dining hall without any trouble and explored from there. (Wasn't planned, was on the bay back from the Tabantha tundra. It was still an awesome place to explore although I did it backwards. Climbing to the top while avoiding the tracking beams was a lot of fun.

Currently I'm at 135 hours, 3.5 zones left to explore, 2 more dungeons (just finally got to the Zora domain) 28 more shrines to find, and it's still awesome. Yet after defeating Gannon (which will certainly be anti climatic) I doubt I'll ever start it over. The fun is in exploring, to see what's over the next hill. That doesn't really lend to repeat gameplay.

RolStoppable said:
morenoingrato said:
Although I agree with what you said in value and replay value for this game: won't those two often contradict each other?

JakDaSnack said:
It's weird to see a game that has a 100 plus hours of content get a yellow for replayability, I guess technically once you've spent that much time on the game there is no reason to go back, but it's still is kinda weird lol

That's exactly why value is broken down into two categories. It allows me to make it clear how a game really is.

Even if it looks odd, it's fine if people feel that it's right. So far that seems to be the case.

That depends, the way you currently have it is confusing.  You make it seem like the game lost points due to a lack of replayability.  But then have to clarify that there is over 100 hours of content.  Wouldn't it just be simpler to just have one sections "value" and then give a description of what you mean.  

Something...Something...Games...Something