By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 1up yours rumour: Big 360 game canceled.

Its possible they might cancel UT3 if true, bad news for microsoft awsome news for sony.

UT3 as a ps3 exclusive would bring in alot of fps gamers. Banjo tooie was better than Banjo kazooie.

mM
Around the Network

leo-j please read and then think things through before you post. It says it's a first party game.

naznatips said:
leo-j please read and then think things through before you post. It says it's a first party game.

Actually, I need to take blame for that one.

I mentioned it to my GF that there was a game rumored to be canned and she suggested it might be UT3 (as she didn't hear the 1st party part and neither did I). 

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

@one or two people in this thread...

I think Banjo Kazooie 3 will do very well on the 360 (at least 1 million) simply based on the amount of attention it's already getting and the fact that 360 owners are starved for a platformer and they're also starved for games that they can share with their children (not every 360 owner is a teenage boy into shooters). That and the game will have appeal in all three major regions.

Smash_Brother said:

"PD was a shooter - something that by definition is more 360 than Wii. It sold well enough (given it was a launch title). Kameo was a new IP, not something Ninty fans have played for years.

BK is something a lot of Ninty fans (n64 era) will remember and recognise."

Thing is, if they were going to recognize it, why didn't they recognize Banjo-Tooie which sold less than half of the first game's sales? Usually sequels sell higher, not lower.

And like I said, if N64 owners wouldn't even pick up the second game on the same console, I have a hard time seeing former fans of BK picking up a $400 piece of hardware to play the 3rd one literally SEVEN years after the game has left the public eye.

"I think it will sell a lot better than all these. Firstly - it has to be a good game. Its also a platformer - which I agree is not a core 360 demographic. But that's the point of Rare titles right? To lure "new gamers" to the 360 platform - it never was going to be easy."

I agree that being a STELLAR game is a prerequisite for it having any kind of success, but many people I know loved Viva Pinata and yet the game tanked.

I just don't see this whole "lure Nintendo fans over to the console" working out, especially with franchises which only earned moderate success on Nintendo hardware in the past (compared to Nintendo's own franchises at the time). If 1.5 million N64 owners bought BK2 7 years ago a the height of its popularity, then that means 2.15 million N64 owners who bought the first one opted out of buying the sequel.

If a sequel underperformed on the N64 when the franchise was A) more popular, B) on the proper console for its demographic and C) on the same console as its predecessor, then what chance does a sequel have now which has absolutely none of the aforementioned going for it?

"I love BK as well - very fond memories of both games (not sure if I ever clocked the 2nd - probably :P). If MS get this right, and start cranking out lovely BK TV ads for the title - its going to be hard for me to resist a 360. 

Of all the brands MS bought with Rare - this is the one that actually has some value. Its a pity too - I can only imagine what a Rare developed BK title for the DS / Wii would be like (using the Galaxy engine? Mmmm...). "

The jury is still out for me. I'll wait to see if the game is actually any good, since Rare's recent offerings have suffered a bit.

Understand, though, that while there are some former Nintendo fans like you and I who still remember it, the vast majority isn't going to pay any attention to it.

It's been SEVEN years since the last console sequel, BK3 will be coming out on a console which is dominated by shooters and M-rated fare, the last sequel sold half of what the original did and the game is being made by a dev in a questionable state to begin with.

As much as I loved the bird and bear, if I had to look out for MS's bottom line, I would have put the breaks on this one a LONG time ago. Even if it isn't the one getting cancelled, I can't imagine the game will break even, let alone venture into the black.

Also, my GF thinks its Unreal 3. She said the PC version has been moving along fine but the console versions keep getting pushed and pushed. Take that as you will. 

BK3 would be enough to kick me off the fence, provided it's reviews and word of mouth are good enough (tho I decided to get a 360 long ago anyway). Of course I'm not most gamers...

I'm not bothered by BK2's weaker sales. A lot of games went belly up on the N64 the last year or two, largely because many gamers had switched to the PSX (also didn't help that the cartridges were still retailing for $70, when most PSX games were under $40). Just compare the sales of Majora's Mask to Ocarina, or Perfect Dark to GoldenEye.

However, the lapse in Rare reliability and lag time between games IS enough to warrant healthy skepticism. IF they can deliver, and get the word out, there's a chance that they'll pull in a few people, but I doubt many gamers will put down $300 for even a cheap 360 console in order to play BT3. 

Around the Network

Situations like this happen all the time and many times get resolved, but you never hear about it. It looks like 1up is doing just what they say they are doing, stating rumors. It's hearsay and whether or not it comes true does not ruin 1up's credibility. They are just passing the word. Just hope it doesn't happen is all you can do.

Legend11 said:

I think Banjo Kazooie 3 will do very well on the 360 (at least 1 million) simply based on the amount of attention it's already getting and the fact that 360 owners are starved for a platformer and they're also starved for games that they can share with their children (not every 360 owner is a teenage boy into shooters). That and the game will have appeal in all three major regions.

360 owners were starved for JRPGs too, yet Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata largely went ignored and bombed. You can put the franchise on the 360 but you can't make the 360 gamer buy it.

And what attention are you talking about? There was a teaser released over a year ago (which mostly went unnoticed) and that was about it. Most people who'd probably care about a BK3 don't even know one is supposed to be coming out. There's no screens, no gameplay videos, no impressions, no details...just the vague acknowledgement that the game is coming sometime in the future. So I'm not sure where this attention is supposed to be coming from, when there's nothing to focus that attention on. BK3 is still pretty much an enigma.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Legend11 said:

I do kind of agree, Legend. On the other hand, this precise logic could be reversed: one might also say that the lack of platformers thus far will lead the game to be less succesful overall not moreso.

Look at Halo -- does that stop people from buying the other squillion shooters on the 360? Sure doesn't seem like it. Instead, it seems to establish a particular fan base that likes Halo-esque games and buys others in that genre. 

It's similar to Nintendo's history, just in a different direction. Does the Mario series stop other platformers from selling well? No. Actually, like Halo, it's historically been the reverse: platformer games have done well on Nintendo platforms, whether they're Mario or not, because Mario established what the users of those consoles were interested in, and the types of gamers these systems attracted.

So again, I do agree that there is some validity to what you're saying: I think some peopel will buy up BK3 because it will (presumably) be the first solid platformer on the system. On the other hand, I think we can assume that the total dearth of strong platformers on either Xbox console has strongly established the brand as not-so-good-for-those-who-like-platformers. Either the Playstation OR the Nintendo consoles have been much better for people with those particular interests.

While I knock the Xbox's lack of platformers, there is one platformer that was quite well recieved; Psychonauts, which was clearly superior on the Xbox when compared to the PS2. Look at the sales of that game. I rest my case.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Ah yes, RPGs are another excellent example. The rationale that "Xbox/Nintendo/Sony gamers don't have many games in this genre, so therefore the few games that do exist will sell well" hasn't held up. That isn't an Xbox-specific truth, by the way; I'm not singling it out. Both the Playstation and especially the Nintendo consoles have their specific deficiencies as well.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

ClaudeLv250 said:
Legend11 said:

360 owners were starved for JRPGs too, yet Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata largely went ignored and bombed. You can put the franchise on the 360 but you can't make the 360 gamer buy it.

And what attention are you talking about? There was a teaser released over a year ago (which mostly went unnoticed) and that was about it. Most people who'd probably care about a BK3 don't even know one is supposed to be coming out. There's no screens, no gameplay videos, no impressions, no details...just the vague acknowledgement that the game is coming sometime in the future. So I'm not sure where this attention is supposed to be coming from, when there's nothing to focus that attention on. BK3 is still pretty much an enigma.

How great were these games? BD got way bad impressions, same with ES, that and they put cartoonish JRPGS on a hardcore console, not the most smart idea

Its like DQ, its never done real well over here, while FF has, its just people in america like mature things. If Lost Oddyssey bombs we can make that statement. Same if last remnant bombs

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.