By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 1up yours rumour: Big 360 game canceled.

Lost tears of Kain said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
Legend11 said:
@one or two people in this thread...

I think Banjo Kazooie 3 will do very well on the 360 (at least 1 million) simply based on the amount of attention it's already getting and the fact that 360 owners are starved for a platformer and they're also starved for games that they can share with their children (not every 360 owner is a teenage boy into shooters). That and the game will have appeal in all three major regions.

360 owners were starved for JRPGs too, yet Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata largely went ignored and bombed. You can put the franchise on the 360 but you can't make the 360 gamer buy it.

And what attention are you talking about? There was a teaser released over a year ago (which mostly went unnoticed) and that was about it. Most people who'd probably care about a BK3 don't even know one is supposed to be coming out. There's no screens, no gameplay videos, no impressions, no details...just the vague acknowledgement that the game is coming sometime in the future. So I'm not sure where this attention is supposed to be coming from, when there's nothing to focus that attention on. BK3 is still pretty much an enigma.

How great were these games? BD got way bad impressions, same with ES, that and they put cartoonish JRPGS on a hardcore console, not the most smart idea

Its like DQ, its never done real well over here, while FF has, its just people in america like mature things. If Lost Oddyssey bombs we can make that statement. Same if last remnant bombs

Sorry, Kain, but calling something like Final Fantasy "mature" is one of my pet peeves, so I'm going to have to call it out.

I have actually gone to a Yu Gi Oh tournament. An honest to goodness tournament, with my friend (it was largely he who wanted to go, but I wasn't objecting or anything). When we got there, there was also a Pokemon tournament. One of the people I played against was a 12 year old boy, who relentlessly mocked all supposed-8 year olds playing Pokemon.

That's pretty much how I see the Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest debate, or any other similar comparison. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

Banjo

"She can feel it changing her. It's becoming a part of her, corrupting her. But what frightens her most... she likes it!" - Effects of Phazon corruption.

Metroid Prime 3 Hype Level: Corrupted

Reviews:

1UP - 9.0 

IGN - 9.5

It is a hardcore game through and through. You will get your ass kicked by bosses. You will be stumped by the sometimes complex, but never overbearing, exploration.
"You'll never want to play any shooter with dual analog sticks ever again - it's THAT good.". - Gametrailers

Shane from 1up (the guy who started the rumor) said it's not Banjo or Alan Wake. So it's looking more and more like Huxley or Marvel MMO.

Also Banjo Tooie would be the second best platformer ever if you didn't count all the marios, ratchets, some spyros, klonoa, some crashes, some Sonics, Sly Coopers and Banjo Kazooie itself. Also thanks everyone for welcoming me back. I'll say it once in this thread so I don't have to keep saying it everywhere.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Too Human is safe. SK made a comment today. Looks like it is between the Halo spin offs and Marvel MMO if the rumour is true.

Huray, ckmlb is back, where were you man?

PSN ID: clemens-nl                                                                                                                

Around the Network

There is a BIG rumour going around on the X360 boards about it being Banjo Kazooie 3. Not saying it as a fact or whatever that its been cancelled, just saying that the majority on their believe it to be that.

Games i'm currently playing:

Could be Marvel MMO. Cryptic just sold CoH/CoV to NCSoft, and a lot of the staff went with them. MMOs are very expensive to develop and support.

Hope it is not. We need more non-fantasy themed MMOs.

After reading all the posts, I don't believe that it's Banjo, but I want to give my two cents to this game anyway:

First of all, I really hope that this game turns out great and gets the attention it deserves for the sake of the platforming genre (there hasn't been a lot next to Mario recently) and for the sake of good-old square.

Secondly, I actually DO think that this game will turn out well and that it will get the attention it deserves. Someone stated that a lot of Games in the last years of the N64 suffered bad sales; I think that is the explanation why Tooie sold less than Kazooie, together with the fact that some people may thought that the two games are too similar and that it's not worth it getting them both.

The N64 gamers are spread out widely over the three consoles I think. Some are N-loyalists that stayed, some are always going with the best and switched to the PSX back in the days, and (I believe quite a lot) grew up, got interested in more mature games and bought a Xbox. Of course everything changed again with this gen (some came back, some PSX gamers got a 360 now etc...) but I suppose that a good amount of Banjo-Kazooie lovers own a 360 today.

That fact, together with a hype similar to the one of Metroid Prime back in the days - which was a very close situation actually, a game that has not seen an installment for more than one generation - could really lead to Microsoft being very happy with Rare immediately.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Lost tears of Kain said:

How great were these games? BD got way bad impressions, same with ES, that and they put cartoonish JRPGS on a hardcore console, not the most smart idea

Its like DQ, its never done real well over here, while FF has, its just people in america like mature things. If Lost Oddyssey bombs we can make that statement. Same if last remnant bombs

...which is exactly why BK3 will get murdered on the 360.

If 360 owners didn't buy BD or ES (even though ES was more realistic than cartoony...) because they weren't "mature" enough, then how exactly do people think BK3 stands a snowball's chance in hell?

It's like I keep saying, this is the WRONG demographic. Even the Conker's BFD remake, which was arguably a "mature" game, bombed on the original Xbox, probably because your average Xbox player isn't going to give a second thought to a game which has a cartoon anthropomorphic animal on the cover of the box.

How can anyone NOT think that BK3 will be completely ignored on the 360? 

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Gamspot did a thorough Rumor Control on this one...

Microsoft axing big-name project?

Source: The latest 1Up podcast, during which EGM executive editor Shane Bettenhausen teases that he knows of "a big Microsoft first-party title that's been in the works for a very long time that people are very excited for sounds like it's being cancelled."

What we heard: At the end of 1Up.com's latest podcast, Bettenhausen tossed out the rumor with little background or explanation. Telling his fellow podcasters that he'd heard the rumor "from all over" and saying they had "a 97 percent chance of being true," Bettenhausen teased audiences with the information but refused to go into any more detail on what he had heard. Given an unsubstantiated and unsourced rumor, the Internet did what it is wont to do and began speculating wildly about Microsoft-published games that could conceivably fit the given criteria.

Rare's new Banjo Kazooie project was among the first games floated, but the UK developer was quick to shoot down such speculation, proactively reaching out to gaming press.

"It's definitely not Banjo," a Rare employee told GameSpot. "That said, I haven't heard these rumours internally, so it could all be hot air for all I know."

Next up on the list was Silicon Knights' Too Human. Given the prolonged development cycle of the game and the legal battle being waged between Silicon Knights and Epic Games over the former's licensing of the latter's Unreal Engine 3, such a cancellation would not be entirely surprising. However, when contacted by GameSpot, a Silicon Knights representative shot that suggestion down as well, saying, "It is definitely not Too Human."

Another game that would certainly fit the "long-awaited" label of the rumor is Remedy Entertainment's Alan Wake. Originally announced in 2005, Alan Wake has remained on many gamers' lists of most-anticipated titles despite keeping a very low profile since its original announcement. Troubled development would explain why so little of Alan Wake has surfaced in the last two years, but again, the developer was quick to shut down the notion of it being canceled. In a post on the studio's official forums, a Remedy representative assured fans the rumor "has nothing to do with Alan Wake..."

Peter Molyneux is known for having his ambitious and heavily hyped game designs overstretch his studio's ability (or perhaps any studio's, for that matter) to make them a reality. While he always seems to find a way to get a game finished and out the door, it's conceivable that Microsoft could pull the rug out from one of his titles if it appeared to be unsalvageable. Fable 2 didn't appear to be in such a state the last time it was shown off to the press, but just in case fans were worried, Lionhead's community manager debunked the idea on the game's official forums, simply saying, "It's not Fable 2, I can tell you that much."

An Ensemble Studios poster on the official Halo Wars forums didn't specifically deny that the high-profile real-time strategy spin-off of Microsoft's sci-fi cash cow was canceled. However, he did post a picture of a man in a tinfoil hat in the thread on the subject, showing exactly what was thought of the suggestion.

As of press time, representatives with Cryptic Studios, developer of Microsoft's upcoming Marvel Universe massively multiplayer online game had not responded to a request for comment, and a browsing of the studio's forums failed to turn up any Cryptic-penned posts on the matter. However, a MMOG attached to a license as powerful as the Marvel Universe will likely get every chance to succeed, and Cryptic's recent sale of its interest in City of Heroes and City of Villains to NCsoft suggests the developer's other projects are going well enough that it doesn't need a safety net to fall back on.

Developer denials aside, 'tis the season for publishers to evaluate their slate of projects for the coming year and determine if there's any dead weight that needs to be cut loose. Ideally, the people who have devoted years of their lives to a project should know if it's going the way of the dodo before word leaks out to the press (and certainly before anyone in the press leaks that rumor out to the world), so it should be safe to take these developers at their word.

It's possible that final decisions on Microsoft's lineup haven't been made yet, and Bettenhausen's tease is based on what a handful of people involved in the process expect to happen. Though he certainly believes the rumor to be true, he admits there's a slim chance his info is wrong. Combine that with 1Up News' complete silence on the matter, and it appears that whatever information Bettenhausen and the Web site have isn't quite concrete enough to run with yet.

The official story: "No comment."--A Microsoft representative.

Bogus or not bogus?: Bogus that Banjo Kazooie, Too Human, Alan Wake, Fable 2, or Halo Wars has already been canceled. Abstain on whether or not they (or any other Microsoft projects) will stay that way.

No foreign sky protected me,
No stranger's wing shielded my face.
I stand as witness to the common lot,
survivor of that time, that place.

- From 'Requiem' by Anna Akhmatova