By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 1up yours rumour: Big 360 game canceled.

starcraft said:
Also, Banjo is its best answer to R & C and Galaxy (Banjo would kick R & C's ass and nearly match Galaxy).

Yo've got to be kidding.

The last Banjo game sold all of 1.5 million copies. That's barely more than Super Princess Peach.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

Around the Network

It's BK3. Someone at MS finally wised up and realized that the game wouldn't even recoup its budget in sales. Completely wrong audience for the 360 (as Viva Pinata showed us already).

And Rare can't go 3rd party because they can't survive on their own. They always go over budget and past deadlines. Do you realize they had 5 games announced for the GC and only released ONE?

Rare needs a host to suck money out of in order to survive, hence why Nintendo sold them so they could go suck money out of MS instead and hence why MS is probably about ready to dissolve the company and sell off its assets. Yes, I realize Rare says it's not BK3, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I know a lot of people here were fans of Rare. God knows I was and I wanted to see BK in SSBM, but it's time to face facts: the talent has left Rare. It's over. This is like the situation where a friend or loved one has become a zombie and is shambling toward you, hellbent on biting your jugular out. They aren't Rare anymore. They're something else now.

Aim for the head.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

I can believe *anyone* is suggesting it could be BK. Its the easiest, most obvious title MS has in development. And its an easy one to develop - and will definitely suck some Ninty fans over to the 360 (or Wii60 FTW).

Here is the quote:

"Shane: I won't go into exacting detail because these rumors haven't been confirmed but they're definitely swirling around. They're probably gonna break next week. So a preview of what you may be seeing next week. A big Microsoft first-party title that has been in the works for a very long time that people are very excited for, sounds like it's being canceled. And a Microsoft executive who's pretty high up, who's been a voice for the company, sounds like he's on the way out."

I still think TooHuman is the obvious candidate - although still unlikely. This is either "big news" (Too Human), or minor news (about anything else).

I very much doubt its Halo Wars - although I guess it could be Alan Wake. The phrase "people are very excited for" sort of restricts it to a well known title. 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Welcome back ckmlb - the board has definitely missed you! :)

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

shams said:

I can believe *anyone* is suggesting it could be BK. Its the easiest, most obvious title MS has in development. And its an easy one to develop - and will definitely suck some Ninty fans over to the 360 (or Wii60 FTW).

1. Rare is notorious for going over budget, not making deadlines, and generally making a development cycle cost far more than it should.

2. If Nintendo fans didn't jump to the 360 for PD0 and Kameo, why would they start now? BK isn't Final Fantasy, and BK2 sold literally less than half of the first title and that was WITHOUT necessitating a $400 console jump for fans of the original.

3. BK3 will NOT appeal to the 360 demographic. It's going to meet the same fate as Blinx the Cat, Toejam and Earl 3 and Viva Pinata: all franchises which flopped on Xbox consoles because it's the wrong demographic.

All signs indicate that bothering to develop, release and market BK3 will result in nothing but a net loss and a great deal of time wasted.

Why shouldn't it be on the chopping block?

Few people loved BK more than me (I was pushing for them to be in SSBM) but by business logic alone, BK3 isn't going to make MS any money and I'm sure someone at MS has realized this by now. 

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Around the Network

It's not Banjo Kazooie 3.

I dunno. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Smash_Brother said:

1. Rare is notorious for going over budget, not making deadlines, and generally making a development cycle cost far more than it should.

Agreed

2. If Nintendo fans didn't jump to the 360 for PD0 and Kameo, why would they start now? BK isn't Final Fantasy, and BK2 sold literally less than half of the first title and that was WITHOUT necessitating a $400 console jump for fans of the original.

PD was a shooter - something that by definition is more 360 than Wii. It sold well enough (given it was a launch title). Kameo was a new IP, not something Ninty fans have played for years.

BK is something a lot of Ninty fans (n64 era) will remember and recognise.

3. BK3 will NOT appeal to the 360 demographic. It's going to meet the same fate as Blinx the Cat, Toejam and Earl 3 and Viva Pinata: all franchises which flopped on Xbox consoles because it's the wrong demographic.

I think it will sell a lot better than all these. Firstly - it has to be a good game. Its also a platformer - which I agree is not a core 360 demographic. But that's the point of Rare titles right? To lure "new gamers" to the 360 platform - it never was going to be easy. 

All signs indicate that bothering to develop, release and market BK3 will result in nothing but a net loss and a great deal of time wasted.

Why shouldn't it be on the chopping block?

Few people loved BK more than me (I was pushing for them to be in SSBM) but by business logic alone, BK3 isn't going to make MS any money and I'm sure someone at MS has realized this by now.

I love BK as well - very fond memories of both games (not sure if I ever clocked the 2nd - probably :P). If MS get this right, and start cranking out lovely BK TV ads for the title - its going to be hard for me to resist a 360. 

Of all the brands MS bought with Rare - this is the one that actually has some value. Its a pity too - I can only imagine what a Rare developed BK title for the DS / Wii would be like (using the Galaxy engine? Mmmm...). 

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

1st off this is a rumor, and we all know how accurate 1 up rumors are.
(they had FF 7 remake pin pointed, KH 3 announced, whole bunch of other crap)
Second
Its NOT too human, with only 4 months to release, and the fact that they just held a preview for the game and got very positive previews.
Its NOT fable, its been announced by them, and the fact MS would be insane to cancel it.
Its NOT alan wake, been announced and way to far into development
Its NOT halo wars, weve already seen live action of this game, and its being made by ensemble studioes, you would not think MS would be so stupid as to suddenly back off from that.
Its NOT Banjo, its been announced and MS would be insane to do it.

Possible games
Any of those, i guess but the chances are rediculasly low.
Most likely games
Marvel Online, i couldnt believe they were doing that in the first place.
Halo project. Havent heard anything
Other small games that we havent heard about.

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

"PD was a shooter - something that by definition is more 360 than Wii. It sold well enough (given it was a launch title). Kameo was a new IP, not something Ninty fans have played for years.

BK is something a lot of Ninty fans (n64 era) will remember and recognise."

Thing is, if they were going to recognize it, why didn't they recognize Banjo-Tooie which sold less than half of the first game's sales? Usually sequels sell higher, not lower.

And like I said, if N64 owners wouldn't even pick up the second game on the same console, I have a hard time seeing former fans of BK picking up a $400 piece of hardware to play the 3rd one literally SEVEN years after the game has left the public eye.

"I think it will sell a lot better than all these. Firstly - it has to be a good game. Its also a platformer - which I agree is not a core 360 demographic. But that's the point of Rare titles right? To lure "new gamers" to the 360 platform - it never was going to be easy."

I agree that being a STELLAR game is a prerequisite for it having any kind of success, but many people I know loved Viva Pinata and yet the game tanked.

I just don't see this whole "lure Nintendo fans over to the console" working out, especially with franchises which only earned moderate success on Nintendo hardware in the past (compared to Nintendo's own franchises at the time). If 1.5 million N64 owners bought BK2 7 years ago a the height of its popularity, then that means 2.15 million N64 owners who bought the first one opted out of buying the sequel.

If a sequel underperformed on the N64 when the franchise was A) more popular, B) on the proper console for its demographic and C) on the same console as its predecessor, then what chance does a sequel have now which has absolutely none of the aforementioned going for it?

"I love BK as well - very fond memories of both games (not sure if I ever clocked the 2nd - probably :P). If MS get this right, and start cranking out lovely BK TV ads for the title - its going to be hard for me to resist a 360. 

Of all the brands MS bought with Rare - this is the one that actually has some value. Its a pity too - I can only imagine what a Rare developed BK title for the DS / Wii would be like (using the Galaxy engine? Mmmm...). "

The jury is still out for me. I'll wait to see if the game is actually any good, since Rare's recent offerings have suffered a bit.

Understand, though, that while there are some former Nintendo fans like you and I who still remember it, the vast majority isn't going to pay any attention to it.

It's been SEVEN years since the last console sequel, BK3 will be coming out on a console which is dominated by shooters and M-rated fare, the last sequel sold half of what the original did and the game is being made by a dev in a questionable state to begin with.

As much as I loved the bird and bear, if I had to look out for MS's bottom line, I would have put the breaks on this one a LONG time ago. Even if it isn't the one getting cancelled, I can't imagine the game will break even, let alone venture into the black.

Also, my GF thinks its Unreal 3. She said the PC version has been moving along fine but the console versions keep getting pushed and pushed. Take that as you will.