By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft Cuts Sales Projections In Half For Red Steel 2.

"Uh ohs guys, we screwed this Wii game up too.."

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

Around the Network

If they didn't strip multiplayer, I could almost guarantee they wouldn't have had to cut their projections. I know a ton of people that are uninterested since there's no multiplayer.

SW-5120-1900-6153

jammy2211 said:

Throw in that it's limited to the WM+ owners

This is a selling point imo.  There's a huge M+ audience out there with a dearth of game options for it... I think it'll help push the game higher than it would've sold without support, similar to early Balance Board games like We Ski and Shaun White.

Plus RS2 will have an optional M+ bundle for those without it.

The only hope it has is the Wii Motion+ support... lets hopen that it will be enough to back the ill advertisement campaign it wil probably get

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

jarrod said:

jammy2211 said:

This is a selling point imo.  There's a huge M+ audience out there with a dearth of game options for it... I think it'll help push the game higher than it would've sold without support, similar to early Balance Board games like We Ski and Shaun White.

Nintendo was depending upon Red Steel 2 to push WM+ peripherals during the holidays, but Ubisoft delayed it. Even if it integrates WM+ only about 25% of the time, the game will do much better. Motion control integration is a solid reason for why some games sell and others don't/ Well-integrated motion enhances the title's appeal because that is what the Wii is all about.

As long as Ubisoft releases that trailer they had before, with that man displaying the sword/gun motion reflected on-screen, they will do fine. they could make it better by having more involved in the experience (teenagers watching the father play or vice versa, cops and robbers/cowboys and criminals scenario, girlfriends sneaking in a RS2 play).

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network
jarrod said:

jammy2211 said:

Nintendo was depending upon Red Steel 2 to push WM+ peripherals during the holidays, but Ubisoft delayed it. Even if it integrates WM+ only about 25% of the time, the game will do much better. Motion control integration is a solid reason for why some games sell and others don't/ Well-integrated motion enhances the title's appeal because that is what the Wii is all about.

As long as Ubisoft releases that trailer they had before, with that man displaying the sword/gun motion reflected on-screen, they will do fine. they could make it better by having more involved in the experience (teenagers watching the father play or vice versa, cops and robbers/cowboys and criminals scenario, girlfriends sneaking in a RS2 play).

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

If this game is at least half decent and gets advertising I could see it doing very well, I just hope they aren't sending it out to pasture.

Someone made the point that it might sell 500K without advertising and not alot more even if they broke out all the advertising stops, which is possibly true but how about going all out and trying to create that breakout new IP which will continue to sell better over several subsequent iterations. We've already had a couple of great new core franchises this gen in Uncharted and Gears of War but the industry needs to keep trying to create these popular new IPs or all we are going to be playing 5 years from now is COD8, U4, FIFA ad nauseum and MKZii.

I hope it meets their expectatives

not so high expectations considering the development time o

jammy2211 said:
I think the exclusive support for Wii motion plus is where they're worried. The games selling point is with a peripheral which was predominantly bought by the 'Wii Sports' crowd and while they could bundle RS2 with the thing, to me it seems a bit late.

The other thing is these companeis normally have a good grasp of how a title will do before launch. They've got preorders, market research from things like internet searches, popularity on press websites etc and other stuff.

This does most likely mean it's marketing budget will be slashed too, but if Ubisoft's data says the game pre-launch isn't popular, then it may make sense not to blow alot of money marketing the game. Depends how it all adds up I guess *Shrug*.

I thought I heard that this game was going to be bundled with Motion Plus.  If that is the case, their should be no worries about Motion Plus dragging down the performance of the game.  I could be remembering wrong though.

@topic

From what I have heard, publishers base the marketing budget based on their expectations for a game.  Since expectations were cut in half, that likely means that the marketing budget just got cut in half.  Sounds like a self fulfilling prophecy to me.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)