By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft Cuts Sales Projections In Half For Red Steel 2.

bomba confirmed. Guess No More Heroes won't be advertised as well.

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
jammy2211 said:
I think the exclusive support for Wii motion plus is where they're worried. The games selling point is with a peripheral which was predominantly bought by the 'Wii Sports' crowd and while they could bundle RS2 with the thing, to me it seems a bit late.

The other thing is these companeis normally have a good grasp of how a title will do before launch. They've got preorders, market research from things like internet searches, popularity on press websites etc and other stuff.

This does most likely mean it's marketing budget will be slashed too, but if Ubisoft's data says the game pre-launch isn't popular, then it may make sense not to blow alot of money marketing the game. Depends how it all adds up I guess *Shrug*.

I thought I heard that this game was going to be bundled with Motion Plus.  If that is the case, their should be no worries about Motion Plus dragging down the performance of the game.  I could be remembering wrong though.

@topic

From what I have heard, publishers base the marketing budget based on their expectations for a game.  Since expectations were cut in half, that likely means that the marketing budget just got cut in half.  Sounds like a self fulfilling prophecy to me.

The game is going to be bundled with MotionPlus. The bundle is up on Amazon.com. Between that, the bundling of Tiger Woods with Motion Plus, Wii Sports Resort, and Grand Slam Tennis selling decently there are more then enough units out there. So that as a worry for Ubisoft doesn't really fly.

It's also a self-fulfilling prophecy with 3rd parties when it comes to Nintendo systems. They don't even try and then complain when things don't go their way. They make games that seem to have effort behind them but then refuse to advertise the game and let people know about them. Then they again complain when they don't get sales. It's move past being sad to just plain frustrating. Especially since it seems they refuse to admit or acknowledge their mistake. That is if it is a mistake and they aren't simply doing this on purpose.

Ari_Gold said:
bomba confirmed. Guess No More Heroes won't be advertised as well.

It was always a solid bet that No More Heores 2 wouldn't be advertised. The first one got nothing as well.

The original sold well, of course the hype was massive and it was heavily advertised, sales oj 500K seem around right for this one, of course Ill be one of those 500 000

I will be getting it and I believe with the right marketing and advertising it could sell very well.

Around the Network

If it's a good game then it will sell a million easily. I'm sure a lot of people will be interested to see how Motion Plus works in a real game.

I really hope Red Steel 2 sells through the roof mainly because it looks like something that really uses the strengths of the wiimote/nunchuck. It creates a new sub genre that combines the great IR control for shooting and the sweet motion plus action for swordfighting that allows one to use combos which switch between each style (First person shooter slasher?). They have spent over a year with a good team on it so it will be quality despite their low expectations.

I also hope this leads to other devs creating FPSS since I personally find the sword fighting (especially showdown mode) to be great in wii sports resort. Add in some shooting with the IR and its hard for it not to be fun. Maybe if this game sells well Ubi will make another but I doubt it. It is a shame though that no Wii owners ever buy these great games. I just hope somehow Red Steel 2 has some name recognition since its a revamped 'sequel' to a release game (albeit a bad one).

Current Favorites:
Wii - Muramasa, MH3, Metroid Trilogy, RS2, Okami, RE4, COD, Dead Space, Scarface
PC - L4D, TF2, BFBC2, Killing Floor, Aquaria, Warsow, many UDK indie games
Mods - MechWarrior:Living Legends, Star Wars: Galatic Warfare, PVKII, Goldeneye Source, L4D mods
PS3 - Demon Souls, Way of the Samurai 3
Social Modding Club: ModDb | Steam

Kennyheart said:

Ubisoft projects sales of 500,000 for Red Steel 2 as the game prepares for launch in March of this year.

Ubisoft has set low sales expectations for its MotionPlus infused Wii game, Red Steel 2, by stating that initial expectations of 1 million sales for the title have now been cut in half to a meagre 500,000 units as the game prepares for launch in March.

During a financial conference call earlier this week, Ubisoft's CEO, Yves Guillemot fielded a question on Avatar sales and expectations for Red Steel 2 with the following response: "For Avatar we said 2.5 million units and our expectations were more in the 3.5-4 million [region].  On Red Steel we decided, in our expectations, to divide the quantity by two and previously we had around a million."

Despite the fact that these sales expectations are low, they aren't necessarily representative of Red Steel 2's quality. Ubisoft may simply be accounting for the poor performance of other core titles on the Wii (e.g. MadWorld, The Conduit, and Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles), as well as a 50% drop-off in Ubisoft's own casual market during the current financial year.

http://www.totalvideogames.com/Red-Steel-2/news/Ubisoft-Cuts-Sales-Projections-In-Half-For-Red-Steel-2-14904.html

arent " NECESSARILY" .. SO MAYBE PROBABLY?waaay to kill your own product ubisoft!

Why Ubisoft ignores Modern warfare reflex sales??? the only non niche/side genre/plain crappy game that is rocking the wii this season? Is it because....

Activision is hiding the numbers (by not moaning like capcom) so they can gobble all the market for themselves? Excellent move Guillemot!

But i think 500k is still a succesful head start, and , im afraid it will perform better than that, just because ,if the game is good people like me ,will buy it.

i dunno what it means....no advertising maybe? The game can probably hit 500k without any advertising. WM+ will probably benefit it simply because there is very little competition. People want to see what it can do.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

NeoStar9 said:
theRepublic said:
jammy2211 said:
I think the exclusive support for Wii motion plus is where they're worried. The games selling point is with a peripheral which was predominantly bought by the 'Wii Sports' crowd and while they could bundle RS2 with the thing, to me it seems a bit late.

The other thing is these companeis normally have a good grasp of how a title will do before launch. They've got preorders, market research from things like internet searches, popularity on press websites etc and other stuff.

This does most likely mean it's marketing budget will be slashed too, but if Ubisoft's data says the game pre-launch isn't popular, then it may make sense not to blow alot of money marketing the game. Depends how it all adds up I guess *Shrug*.

I thought I heard that this game was going to be bundled with Motion Plus.  If that is the case, their should be no worries about Motion Plus dragging down the performance of the game.  I could be remembering wrong though.

@topic

From what I have heard, publishers base the marketing budget based on their expectations for a game.  Since expectations were cut in half, that likely means that the marketing budget just got cut in half.  Sounds like a self fulfilling prophecy to me.

The game is going to be bundled with MotionPlus. The bundle is up on Amazon.com. Between that, the bundling of Tiger Woods with Motion Plus, Wii Sports Resort, and Grand Slam Tennis selling decently there are more then enough units out there. So that as a worry for Ubisoft doesn't really fly.

It's also a self-fulfilling prophecy with 3rd parties when it comes to Nintendo systems. They don't even try and then complain when things don't go their way. They make games that seem to have effort behind them but then refuse to advertise the game and let people know about them. Then they again complain when they don't get sales. It's move past being sad to just plain frustrating. Especially since it seems they refuse to admit or acknowledge their mistake. That is if it is a mistake and they aren't simply doing this on purpose.

You're preaching to the choir on this one.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)