By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft Cuts Sales Projections In Half For Red Steel 2.

the turtles game probably should have done better. Honestly, if i wasn't on vgchartz i wouldn't have known it existed though. Turtles has the potential to sell well on wii, but it's not as simple as just releasing the game.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network
johnsobas said:
the turtles game probably should have done better. Honestly, if i wasn't on vgchartz i wouldn't have known it existed though. Turtles has the potential to sell well on wii, but it's not as simple as just releasing the game.

That and... so many of the characters weren't.... well Ninja Turtles.  I was hyped for the game, but then it came out missing a ton of my favorites...

So i passed.

As long as UbiSoft actually *promote* the game, I think it will do ok. RedSteel 1 sold a lot of copies, so its a well known IP. And it looks great - its an easy purchase for me.

The only thing that would really damage sales, is if RS2 gets *really* bad reviews.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

hsrob said:

If this game is at least half decent and gets advertising I could see it doing very well, I just hope they aren't sending it out to pasture.

Someone made the point that it might sell 500K without advertising and not alot more even if they broke out all the advertising stops, which is possibly true but how about going all out and trying to create that breakout new IP which will continue to sell better over several subsequent iterations. We've already had a couple of great new core franchises this gen in Uncharted and Gears of War but the industry needs to keep trying to create these popular new IPs or all we are going to be playing 5 years from now is COD8, U4, FIFA ad nauseum and MKZii.

Sequels haven't typically resonated with the Wii userbase - Ubisoft themselves were stung by the follow up to Shaun Whites. I know in that case they completely ****ed up making the sequel worthy of a purchase, but for it to bomb that hard is hard to swallow. They'll know what happend to Boom Blox, HOTD, NERF etc.

And yeah, it is bundled with WM+ but that'll put it's retail price up, which isn't going to spur sales imo. To me it feels like we're past the WM+ hype, Wii Sports Resort has come and gone and now it's all about NSMBW. I think it's lack of multiplayer is going to hurt it most anyway, I swear everyone bought the original cause they dreamed it'd be like Goldeneye 64.

kingofwale said:
bmmb1 said:
NeoStar9 said:
I guess this means no advertising at all or perhaps even less then the little bit they might have been planning. Ugh. I really dislike this. If this wasn't going to be advertised I wasn't going to bother with it. If publishers don't think their game is worth it to advertise then it's not worth my money in the end. That's the stance I've taken. I was really looking forward to Red Steel 2. Ugh. I guess it's time to remove my preorder from Amazon until I see how things play out.

Let's see if it has advertising first. Also, imo, one shouldn't buy or not buy a game depending on whether it is advertised. Not advertising does not mean they don't believe in the game's quality, it just may mean they are stupid enough to believe what is being said by Wii detractors about Wii demographics and are afraid to lose even more money.

Buy a game if it's good, not if the publisher is smart enough to advertise or stupid enough not to.

but the question is... whose fault is it when a game isn't advertised? Most of the advertising for games are SPONSORED by the console company, Nintendo somehow seem to be above this role and leave game developers to dry. Again, whose fault is it? Is it the game companies' fault when the gamers don't know much about their games? Nintendo is fully aware of this, and is swimming in cash, is it really asking too much to put out an ad or two to some of the better-made games?

The one responsible for advertising is the actual publisher of the game. That publisher is Ubisoft itself. Nintendo has nothing to do with it at all unless it was the publisher or they had agreed to take over duties the way they have for Monster Hunter 3. It's not Nintendo's fault if the game doesn't get advertised. We need to look at the words (not directed at you but for many in general we need to look at this).

Main Entry: pub·lish·er
Pronunciation: \ˈpə-bli-shər\
Function: noun
Date: 15th century: one that publishes something; especially : a person or corporation whose business is publishing
Now to the root word.
Main Entry: pub·lish
Pronunciation: \ˈpə-blish\
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English, modification of Anglo-French publier, from Latin publicare, from publicus public
Date: 14th century

transitive verb 1 a : to make generally known b : to make public announcement of
2 a : to disseminate to the public b : to produce or release for distribution; specifically : print 2c c : to issue the work of (an author)

It seems to me that many of these companies are only doing the "distribution"aspect of the word while ignoring the rest of the meaning. This most certainly isn't the job of Nintendo when it comes to 3rd party games.

Around the Network
jammy2211 said:
hsrob said:

If this game is at least half decent and gets advertising I could see it doing very well, I just hope they aren't sending it out to pasture.

Someone made the point that it might sell 500K without advertising and not alot more even if they broke out all the advertising stops, which is possibly true but how about going all out and trying to create that breakout new IP which will continue to sell better over several subsequent iterations. We've already had a couple of great new core franchises this gen in Uncharted and Gears of War but the industry needs to keep trying to create these popular new IPs or all we are going to be playing 5 years from now is COD8, U4, FIFA ad nauseum and MKZii.

Sequels haven't typically resonated with the Wii userbase - Ubisoft themselves were stung by the follow up to Shaun Whites. I know in that case they completely ****ed up making the sequel worthy of a purchase, but for it to bomb that hard is hard to swallow. They'll know what happend to Boom Blox, HOTD, NERF etc.

And yeah, it is bundled with WM+ but that'll put it's retail price up, which isn't going to spur sales imo. To me it feels like we're past the WM+ hype, Wii Sports Resort has come and gone and now it's all about NSMBW. I think it's lack of multiplayer is going to hurt it most anyway, I swear everyone bought the original cause they dreamed it'd be like Goldeneye 64.

It might not be sequels in general but the type of sequels. Yearly sequels might not be a good thing as there isn't much change between them. That worked in the past but to be honest I never understand how people were tricked into that. However more then enough time has passed since Red Steel 1 and the RS2 is different enough to feel like a completely new game it seems and not just a repackaging of the last game with only one or two changes like most sequels.

shams said:
The only thing that would really damage sales, is if RS2 gets *really* bad reviews.

Regardless of actual quality, I'm pretty sure the NerdCore reviewers will make that happen.

I can already guess the RS2 reviews - game is too short, not enough replayability, no multiplayer, not enough variety, and as the cherry at the top - those who never get along with the Wii anyway will say the controls are meh. That's what the reviews will say, mark my words. Personally I am not interested as it is a FPS and I have decided I don't want any more of those in my life (I don't consider Trilogy to be a FPS but a First Person adventure), but had I liked FPS I would certainly have gotten this game, from all I've seen (until they've stopped releasing info about it) it looks great, not to mention the Motion Plus swordplay...

OT: I think they did the right thing cutting sales projections, though if that means cutting on advertising then that will be a mistake. At the time, when I saw (before its release) Capcom's RE:DC FY projections of 800,000 I did a double take and asked myself whether they were living in the real world...

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

PhalanxCO said:
shams said:

Regardless of actual quality, I'm pretty sure the NerdCore reviewers will make that happen.

What we know right off the bat:

No splitscreen multiplayer after the original had it, dock points.

That means no online either, which "should be standard in every FPS"

Cel-shaded look, dock points

My favorite, Wii doesn't do FPS games well, dock a load of points

If the game is not longer than 10 hours, it is in serious trouble. Some level-headed reviewers might actually review it for what it is, but not too many. Based on those faults above, it might get an 8.2 maximum avg. I'm really expecting a (72) aggregate score...

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

You're being far to generous SaviorX to these reviewers.