By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft Cuts Sales Projections In Half For Red Steel 2.

Cheebee said:
Meh, I agree with some others here, I could see them not advertising the game, AT ALL, then afterward whine how core titles don't sell on Wii and release a bunch of Babyz Partyz.

They've already released that: Imagine Party Babyz. Literally.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network
Innervate said:
Gamerace said:
bmmb1 said:
kingofwale said:
BrandonM said:
gustave154 said:
Can't imagine kids and families playing red steel together.....
500k sounds reasonable.

Yep it sure does if your a sonyfanboy.....

He was right. This is not a game for kids, it's not a game for family and it's not a game for more than 1 person.

How many of those games on Wii sold well? This is clearly a case of a game that doesn't really fit the console demographic.

Anybody can see this, regardless whether you love the console to death or not

Admittedly Nintendo games, but nevertheless Legend of Zelda and Metroid Prime Corruption also "don't really fit the console demographic" by your definition.

Nintendo franchises sell to Nintendo core.   You'll note they sold similar numbers as the GC versions did despite a userbase 3 times the size.   Even SMG and SSBB didn't outsell their GC counterparts but much considering the massive difference in userbase.

Nintendo core don't seem to buy a lot of 3rd party titles.   Why more Zelda fans didn't get Okami is beyond me.   Not that I'd except Okami to sell 6m but 1 or even 500k-1m would have been nice considering it's an AAA title in the same vein of Zelda.     If Okami can't get that crowd to buy why would RS2?

That's because 3rd party titles are inferior to Nintendo made games. I thought we were over this fallacy...

So you're agreeing with me?  After All, Okami was considered one of the best games from last generation and even that was ignored (but not as badly as it was on PS2).

Demotruk said:
Cheebee said:
Meh, I agree with some others here, I could see them not advertising the game, AT ALL, then afterward whine how core titles don't sell on Wii and release a bunch of Babyz Partyz.

They've already released that: Imagine Party Babyz. Literally.

I know. That's why I said it.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

dampowell said:
Who works for these companies. Advertise more than just dance you will get better sales. SIMPLE

More sales don't equal more profit..

Oh no! I only see this failing if and only if (this is my most anticipated game) it doesn't have the advertisement "Just Dance" had. If they dont make it a big deal that you can PLAY 1:1!!!! Also the only way they can sell and I will predict 2 million is if they make a split screen so two people can fight. Just imagine those commercials with two people fighting with swords on the screen, that will have kids screaming in joy like me lol! How many games since Wii launched has a commercial like that been shown besides Wii Sports Resort? Please Ubisoft and we should send emails to them about how they should make it 2 player!! Out of all the people that i know that have a Wii, they are all waiting for this game for more than 5 months. And by the way that would end my streak of only buying Nintendo made games.

Around the Network

I think Nintendo should consider stepping in a co-promoting this game like they are MH3 in the west. They had Retro helping out with the title in a support capacity, so they're already intimately involved on the development side anyway.

As is, it sounds like Ubi's planning to send it out to die. Too bad, if the quality's there I think this one could be big.

I would hazard a guess that $1-$2 million of advertising revenue is offset by an extra 100,000 units worth of sales. And that extra 100,000 units of sales is what increases brand recognition for future titles.

jarrod said:
I think Nintendo should consider stepping in a co-promoting this game like they are MH3 in the west. They had Retro helping out with the title in a support capacity, so they're already intimately involved on the development side anyway.

As is, it sounds like Ubi's planning to send it out to die. Too bad, if the quality's there I think this one could be big.

That's another thing. Nintendo did send a development team to Ubisoft to help them with the Motion+ aspects. When asked Nintendo will do that it seems and Ubisoft asked so that at least showed they were serious about the game. However after taking the time to help and Ubisoft sends this out to die I really wonder what this does to their relationship with Nintendo. Especially if Ubisoft ends up complaining about the sales of the game later on which they are most certainly going to do. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo washes their hands of Ubisoft after doing that. Ubisoft can't say at all that Nintendo needs to do more. It's up to Ubisoft to make sure their game gets sold and people know about it. If they don't they deserve to lose all the money they are going to lose and have been losing.

Yep, looking at other non selling 3rd party games stuck on the store shelves between PC and the HD systems (Bigger user base than Wii); Brutal Legend, Velvet Assassin, Rogue Warrior, Wet, Chaotic, Saw, Avatar (since when was the last movie to game a big seller), Sabatour and a host of other drivel not to mention the Crap they put on Wii.  add to it that the Big stores mentioned that they were scaling back on non selling crap before these guy started stating cut backs.  Yep,  me/I and every other 3rd party guys should/will be making this announcement "Cut Backs and low projections".  (Its not "Lets sell a game on this system.  Its "Lets see if I can get you to by my game on this system) "Dont blame the system if your games dont sell."  Please dont try and compair your game to the games that do make thier mark and when it comes to Nintendo games "NEVER" compare what they started, improved and continue to do.  If your projection are low then stay low and be done with it.  If you want your focus to be High then Go Crazy with your "Must got to have/purchase campiagn (no matter the system its on).  Please dont blame the system....

NeoStar9 said:
jarrod said:

That's another thing. Nintendo did send a development team to Ubisoft to help them with the Motion+ aspects. When asked Nintendo will do that it seems and Ubisoft asked so that at least showed they were serious about the game. However after taking the time to help and Ubisoft sends this out to die I really wonder what this does to their relationship with Nintendo. Especially if Ubisoft ends up complaining about the sales of the game later on which they are most certainly going to do. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo washes their hands of Ubisoft after doing that. Ubisoft can't say at all that Nintendo needs to do more. It's up to Ubisoft to make sure their game gets sold and people know about it. If they don't they deserve to lose all the money they are going to lose and have been losing.he W

Ubisoft have alot of reseach, they know already roughly how popular the game is and whether it's got a good chance of selling or not. If their stats and figures suggest public reception has been lukewarm, then they've got to decide what advertising budget would maximize profits.

My guess is they're figures are that with a minimal advertising budget they could sell 500k copies. If they go all out with TV ads, internet adds etc like Nintendo do, they'd need to sell another 500k copies (thats a very generous estimate) just to recoup the marketing costs. It doesn't make sense.

Looking at Rs2 I can't see how it can expect to sell what the Call of Duty's did on Wii - it hasn't got anywhere near that brand recognition. Throw in that it's limited to the WM+ owners, and has no multiplayer - a big selling point on the Wii, and I struggle to see how Ubisoft could justify giving RS2 a luxary marketing budget.