By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FFXIII is 32.6GB of movies and just 6.8GB of actual game content

Kasz216 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Kasz216 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Kasz216 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
mrstickball said:
darthdevidem01 said:
mrstickball said:

....Which makes me wonder why X360 owners needed 3 discs.

Sorry, had to say that. I think it is retarded that they spend the time, money, and data on creating CGI cutscenes when in-game cutscenes (Gears of War) can look very good, without the requirements for space.

but they didn't

Most cut scenes are in game.

Isn't the point of this thread that XIII has 70% of its data due to movies? Even if most cut scenes are in game, Square still went overboard with CGI. Heck, 32GB is the size of a regular movie!

Thats true, but in game cut scenes from reports I have heard have higher res models for the characters, so that has contributed to this huge figure.

But I doubt there is that much CGI in the game....if there is I'll love the game even more, if there isn't oh well

If they have higher rez models for the characters in the cutscenes they aren't in game cutscenes.

In game means... with the graphics you use in the game.

but they are not CGI -- those cut scenes with slightly higer rez models (not like much much much higher rez or anything)

CGI = Computer generated imagery.  All graphics are computer generated images technically.

The difference betweeb in game cutscenes and CGI cutscenes is based on if they use the real in game assets.  The fact that they are higher rez assets means they are not in game.  They are not using the in game models that are normally used.

I dunno but some people said most cut scenes that aren't the "Typical FF CGI cut scene" (you know the type I'm talking about) have models that look very very slightly better than the ones in the battle system bit.

How is that different from FFXII?

The models in FFXII didn't look any better then the ingame models except for the hair.

I never said it was different from FF12

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
Kasz216 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Kasz216 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Kasz216 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
mrstickball said:
darthdevidem01 said:
mrstickball said:

....Which makes me wonder why X360 owners needed 3 discs.

Sorry, had to say that. I think it is retarded that they spend the time, money, and data on creating CGI cutscenes when in-game cutscenes (Gears of War) can look very good, without the requirements for space.

but they didn't

Most cut scenes are in game.

Isn't the point of this thread that XIII has 70% of its data due to movies? Even if most cut scenes are in game, Square still went overboard with CGI. Heck, 32GB is the size of a regular movie!

Thats true, but in game cut scenes from reports I have heard have higher res models for the characters, so that has contributed to this huge figure.

But I doubt there is that much CGI in the game....if there is I'll love the game even more, if there isn't oh well

If they have higher rez models for the characters in the cutscenes they aren't in game cutscenes.

In game means... with the graphics you use in the game.

but they are not CGI -- those cut scenes with slightly higer rez models (not like much much much higher rez or anything)

CGI = Computer generated imagery.  All graphics are computer generated images technically.

The difference betweeb in game cutscenes and CGI cutscenes is based on if they use the real in game assets.  The fact that they are higher rez assets means they are not in game.  They are not using the in game models that are normally used.

I dunno but some people said most cut scenes that aren't the "Typical FF CGI cut scene" (you know the type I'm talking about) have models that look very very slightly better than the ones in the battle system bit.

How is that different from FFXII?

The models in FFXII didn't look any better then the ingame models except for the hair.

The scenes in FF12 were not ingame cutscenes.

LordTheNightKnight said:
lestatdark said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
lestatdark said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
CommonMan said:
There has to be a way to blame the Wii for this. Someone help me out here.

Crystal Bearers has a lot of girls who look like Vanille, only they're blonde. Now there is nothing special about this game!

I won't take offense to that comment, because i've played Crystal Bearers and know that's not particulary true :P 

But if Xen sees your post be prepared for a long discussion xD

Also Crystal Bearers is too inferior to Crystal Chronicles, but that's just me :P 

You shouldn't take offense at all. The context of my comment was clearly a joke. But there is actually one of the NPCs that has a similar design as Vanille, and even the pigtails. Just I'm actually prone to redheads, but the design is similar.

I know, I know, that's why I told you to worry about Xen, he's a hardcore Vanille supporter! :P 

You're right though, the design is very similar, guess the teams shared some ideas, or could it be pure coincidence? 

1. Actually, Vanille is kind of what's keeping me from totally leaving this game.

2. It's because there is this kind of art direction that some of the games have been following. I've seen it in VIII, X/X-2, partly XII, and these two games. It's also why I say anyone putting down the graphics in CB is just wrong. The graphics are some of the most detailed of any Wii game (and I mean as in there are loads of details), same as XIII is one of the most detailed of all the HD games (and not even brown or gray shaded).

You're right, I loved the art direction in CB too, and it's very filled with detail, it actually astounded me, it's a superb evolution to the Crystal Series :D. 
In FFXIII though, I think they sacrificed a bit of more exploration capacities to have a bit more detail than usual. I guess that won't matter when I'm battling the Master Tonberry though xD Biggest enemy i've ever seen in an RPG :P 

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Kasz216 said:
darthdevidem01 said:

The scenes in FF12 were not ingame cutscenes.

Your being way too technical again

Tell me what you understand by a CGI cut scene, ingame cut scene & whatever is in between

for me this represents a CGI cut scene:

This is a in game cut scene (that often has character models that looks better than gameplay character models):

I have no clue what your talking about

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Skeeuk said:
well both versions were ported from the pc crystal tools, ps3 version only has the bigger size cgi data because they was no reason to compress them.

SE have already confimed that game data had to be cut, so i stand by that game data was cut due to them having to make a fair version of a 360 game. for which i 100% agree multiplats should be same, but i feel the game woould have been larger if ps3 only, i hope versus dont go multiplat.

Game data is cut from every game. Hell RE4 went through multiple game version period with the first version of the game becoming the original Devil May Cray. Let's assume that "a games" worth the of data was really cut from the game. That would just make FFXIII a four disc 360 game just like Lost Odyssey. Every since FFXIII was confirmed to be multiplatform, some PS3 owners having been looking to blame anything wrong with FFXIII on the 360 port.

Around the Network

Beat FFXIII in 55 hours (with only doing about 10% of the missions).
I'm now at 80% of the missions post game and have played almost 90 hours.
Getting the platinum will take most almost everyone more than 100 hours.

And the game is awesome.

Better form an opinion after playing the game.

Thankfully, that one guy who tried to spoil it for everyone here on the site (Soap_T.) was wrong about the ending.

Looking forward to: FF Versus XIII / LBP2 / The Last Guardian / Yakuza 4 / ICO Collection

lestatdark said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

1. Actually, Vanille is kind of what's keeping me from totally leaving this game.

2. It's because there is this kind of art direction that some of the games have been following. I've seen it in VIII, X/X-2, partly XII, and these two games. It's also why I say anyone putting down the graphics in CB is just wrong. The graphics are some of the most detailed of any Wii game (and I mean as in there are loads of details), same as XIII is one of the most detailed of all the HD games (and not even brown or gray shaded).

You're right, I loved the art direction in CB too, and it's very filled with detail, it actually astounded me, it's a superb evolution to the Crystal Series :D. 
In FFXIII though, I think they sacrificed a bit of more exploration capacities to have a bit more detail than usual. I guess that won't matter when I'm battling the Master Tonberry though xD Biggest enemy i've ever seen in an RPG :P 

I think S-E should see if they could reuse some of those assets from CB for another Wii CC game, as that would keeps costs down (same with FF X-2).

As for the giant Tonberry, that actually seems cool, although it's not the first FF game to have giant versions of the enemies.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
lestatdark said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

I think S-E should see if they could reuse some of those assets from CB for another Wii CC game, as that would keeps costs down (same with FF X-2).

As for the giant Tonberry, that actually seems cool, although it's not the first FF game to have giant versions of the enemies.

Yes, but when i'm talking about giant, i'm actually trying to get through the picture of the biggest colossus in Shadow of the Colossus. That's about the size of this Master Tonberry ;)

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

lestatdark said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
lestatdark said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Yes, but when i'm talking about giant, i'm actually trying to get through the picture of the biggest colossus in Shadow of the Colossus. That's about the size of this Master Tonberry ;)

Okay, that's big, but how does the battle look? Do you just see a fraction of the Tonberry so the characters are normal, or are the characters specks and we see the full Tonberry?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
lestatdark said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
lestatdark said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Okay, that's big, but how does the battle look? Do you just see a fraction of the Tonberry so the characters are normal, or are the characters specks and we see the full Tonberry?

No one still posted pictures of the actual fight over at http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/forums/index.php, but there was a picture circulating there about the cutscene in which he appears, where he devours one of the Adamantamai enemies of FFXIII (Those giant turtle like enemies of the plains) in a single chomp.

I think that the fight will somehow be processed as the Fight against Vegnagun in FFX-2 was, per stages. 

Current PC Build