By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FFXIII is 32.6GB of movies and just 6.8GB of actual game content

@Riachu

Yes, and as funny as it is, that is the second dungeon in the whole game, but now it seems that one dungeon = the entire game :P

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
lestatdark said:
@Riachu

Yes, and as funny as it is, that is the second dungeon in the whole game, but now it seems that one dungeon = the entire game :P

That would be a good point except that the map design stays virtually the same for the entire game.

Yes, and that's still part of the same Chapter for crying out loud ._.

Do you know that the game has 14 Chapters, 14?

Also, why are you showing the exact same maps that Kotaku showed to drive their point that the game was linear, yet never even bothered to show all of the maps from the game?

If you have them all please do show them, because these are old news and have been already explained to be the early stages of the game.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Well that's not surprising. I mean Lost Odyssey was a lot like this as well (lots of cutscenes and diologue) and the reason it was on 4 discs (and why I refused to play more than I did haha).

I mean I'm not big on games that has a lot of cutscenes, especially ones that happen every few moments. But this is the norm for most games nowadays. Generally most of the game is movies, sound, and dialogue, especially RPGs where those are needed a lot. As much as I don't like extensive cut scenes and things that take you out of the action, as long as it contributes to the story well and doesn't' feel out of place, I think I'll survive.

Zucas said:
Well that's not surprising. I mean Lost Odyssey was a lot like this as well (lots of cutscenes and diologue) and the reason it was on 4 discs (and why I refused to play more than I did haha).

I mean I'm not big on games that has a lot of cutscenes, especially ones that happen every few moments. But this is the norm for most games nowadays. Generally most of the game is movies, sound, and dialogue, especially RPGs where those are needed a lot. As much as I don't like extensive cut scenes and things that take you out of the action, as long as it contributes to the story well and doesn't' feel out of place, I think I'll survive.

No it is no.  It is just the norm for RPGs and pure adventure games as well as various Japanese developed games.

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
lestatdark said:

It seems that most of you don't understand that uncompressed HD files (1280x720) can take up to 4 Gb per each hour in movies.

So 32 Gb, even if they aren't all uncompressed, amounts to 9 hours or so.

9 Hours for Cutscenes doesn't even amount 20% to the total amount of gameplay ;)

No, all the video on Blu-Ray is compressed, and the same thing goes for games. There isn't space or speed to store/read uncompressed movies.

Just for reference, uncompressed 1280x720 video at 24 fps would take up 63 megabytes per second, or 221 GB per hour!

while your right on video, audio can be uncompressed. uncompressed audio can be some massive files considering its just audio. A 30 second track can reach sizes of 20MBs.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Riachu said:
Zucas said:

No it is no.  It is just the norm for RPGs and pure adventure games as well as various Japanese developed games.

After a certain point, Lost Odyssey was pretty open, ala Blue Dragon.

Of course, having finally purchased a copy of Final Fantasy XII, I am remembering exactly how to do a non-linear JRPG right. For every woe that people throw upon XII, it is one of the least linear JRPGs I've played. One of the longest too.

But I digress, it really burns me when a RPG is as linear as some JRPGs are...It's not like it is too difficult to allow a person to explore more of a game world because you don't know where to go. I remember, way back in the day, I'd get lost for days on some JRPGs (Breath of Fire 2 is one I remember) because I went to the wrong areas. I can't remember many JRPGs, sans XII, that I ever got lost in, due to the scale of what was available.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

lestatdark said:
Dgc1808 said:
I thought it was confirmed that cutscenes on the PS3 version were 1920x1080?

Really? I thought that they were in the same visual resolution than the rest of the game, maybe I'm wrong.

Being me, I'll blame xbox if they're not 1920 :)

"Rainbird: Why don't Nintendo and Microsoft Copy the Sony Blog?

Bagenome:You can't shoot things on a blog, and babies can't read, so I don't think it would suit either one's target audience."

d21lewis said:
Honestly, do JRPG makers even realize how hard it is to save the world? That shit is impossible!

Well I'd stop being a fan of Final Fantasy long time ago, I'll leave turn based RPG's to Pokemon

darthdevidem01 said:
Kasz216 said:
darthdevidem01 said:

I never said it was different from FF12

The scenes in FF12 were not ingame cutscenes.

Your being way too technical again

Tell me what you understand by a CGI cut scene, ingame cut scene & whatever is in between

for me this represents a CGI cut scene:

This is a in game cut scene (that often has character models that looks better than gameplay character models):

I have no clue what your talking about

What i'm talking about is the correct definition of "in game cutscene."

In game cutscenes use the standard in game models.

Anything that doesn't isn't an In game cutscene... period.

The point of ingame cutscenes is they look EXACTLY like the models in the game... as such they improve immersion and also take little to no resourcse since they don't use different models.