By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Things about Nintendo that disappoint me

68soul said:
Ari_Gold said:
the reason i don't buy nintendo games anymore is that they don't care for the consumer at all, hence the lack of players choice nintendo games this gen. I get it they want more money, and its understandable, but its not good for me (consumer)

Why would they care about YOU, if you're NOT a "consumer" anyway?

Btw, someone who says he needs a R4 to play Infinite Space is NOT a good "consumer" for anyone: it's not only about "expensive" Nintendo games, it's also about Platinum Games and any other company you don't want to give any of your so precious cents...

Btw, do you think the business model on both HD twins is better? I see some games sold at 70 euros (nearly 100 dollars!): is that the way to go, when Super Mario Bros Wii is actually sold between 35 and 40 euros? My next Wii games are Fragile Dreams and Rune Factory Frontier, and their price is... 35 euros as well... i'm quite glad with my Wii that way...

So OK, Nintendo is sometimes greedy... but actually, Wii and DS offer the best quality/price on the market: it's not only about the cost of the hardware, but also the cost of brand new games, and the occasion you have to pick very fast most quality titles, ending in the bargain bins after only 3 or 6 months...

Most titles except the 1st parties, of course: but is it a reason to constantly blame Nintendo, like you're doin' for years now on these forums? You're gettin' quite annoying, btw...

HD owners tend to buy their games at launch while Wii owners tend to buy them whenever they feel like. So even though people have the choice to wait for them getting cheaper, they still buy them on launch. HD developers couldn't survive if they'd do it the way Nintendo does.

So yes the business model of the HD twins is better for HD games.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
Isn't Player's choice a Playstation thing?

No, you're thinking of Greatest Hits.

Ari_Gold said:
SmokedHostage said:
Ari_Gold said:
the reason i don't buy nintendo games anymore is that they don't care for the consumer at all, hence the lack of players choice nintendo games this gen. I get it they want more money, and its understandable, but its not good for me (consumer)

By this logic, we should pirate all the software we can because as consumers we want to get goods at the lowest price possible.

ey, if you want to spend more money thats cool, to each his or her own, but not me.

Their sales would increase by lowering the price, they would still be profitable, just not as profitable.

I don't think you understand what you're talking about.

This model was pushed a lot by Sony, and Nintendo even adopted it at one point but they reversed it with the DS for many reasons. Slashing prices of the bigger sellers creates situations where the focus of marketing and development shift to the early buyer. Also, it greatly diminishes the opportunity of introducing software for lower prices legitimately, without their value getting confused with games which have been price reduced.

When Nintendo launched Brain Age for 19.99, their goal was to introduce a price point that would be consistent with the product throughout its shelf life. If there were a lot of DS games at that price the game would probably have been overlooked, and much of the unpredicted phenomenon associated with it wouldn't have happened. It also allowed them to promote it for months and years because the revenue was consistent at all times.

Slashing prices may be better for ONE type of consumer, but it's not better for gaming in general. Long term, this would have created an environment of blockbusters, where true innovators and surprise hits were very rare. That's a concern Iwata expressed before launching Brain age, and at the time people just thought he was whinning. Most people didn't think they'd be able to actually do something about it, and that it would work.

If you ant Sony's business model it's certainly still there from their side of the woods. Just don't demand Nintendo to stop theirs because believe it or not, there are benefits to everybody, and they're quite big.

The only things I'd like to see improved are:

1. A stronger, more cohesive online strategy.

2. More resources pumped into existing first-party development studios (OUTSIDE of EAD), and acquiring a couple more small studios to diversify our software offerings.

Beyond that, I'm good.

Barozi said:
68soul said:
Ari_Gold said:

Btw, someone who says he needs a R4 to play Infinite Space is NOT a good "consumer" for anyone: it's not only about "expensive" Nintendo games, it's also about Platinum Games and any other company you don't want to give any of your so precious cents...

Btw, do you think the business model on both HD twins is better? I see some games sold at 70 euros (nearly 100 dollars!): is that the way to go, when Super Mario Bros Wii is actually sold between 35 and 40 euros? My next Wii games are Fragile Dreams and Rune Factory Frontier, and their price is... 35 euros as well... i'm quite glad with my Wii that way...

So OK, Nintendo is sometimes greedy... but actually, Wii and DS offer the best quality/price on the market: it's not only about the cost of the hardware, but also the cost of brand new games, and the occasion you have to pick very fast most quality titles, ending in the bargain bins after only 3 or 6 months...

Most titles except the 1st parties, of course: but is it a reason to constantly blame Nintendo, like you're doin' for years now on these forums? You're gettin' quite annoying, btw...

HD owners tend to buy their games at launch while Wii owners tend to buy them whenever they feel like.

That's.....absolutely absurd and not true at all.

Period.

Around the Network
Sempuukyaku said:
Barozi said:
68soul said:
Ari_Gold said:

HD owners tend to buy their games at launch while Wii owners tend to buy them whenever they feel like.

Period.

Oh so I guess the numbers for Mario Kart Wii must be wrong then. Or Wii Fit or Mario & Sonic games or Wii Sports Resort.

They all sold a fraction of their lifetime sales in the first week.

While HD games launch with much higher numbers. (Halo 3, MGS4, CoD MW2 and so on)

Barozi said:
Sempuukyaku said:
Barozi said:
68soul said:
Ari_Gold said:

Period.

Oh so I guess the numbers for Mario Kart Wii must be wrong then. Or Wii Fit or Mario & Sonic games or Wii Sports Resort.

While HD games launch with much higher numbers. (Halo 3, MGS4, CoD MW2 and so on)

You've got to be kidding me. Mario Kart Wii has sold over 20 million copies. So you're saying that because 18 million weren't sold on launch day, that "Wii owners buy games whenever they feel like"? Same goes for Wii Fit and Wii Sports Resort as well.

NSMB Wii and Smash Bros Brawl destroyed NOA sales records for the best selling launch games ever. Guess those gamers also just "buy games whenever they feel like".

Sempuukyaku said:
Barozi said:
Sempuukyaku said:
Barozi said:
68soul said:
Ari_Gold said:

Period.

You've got to be kidding me. Mario Kart Wii has sold over 20 million copies. So you're saying that because 18 million weren't sold on launch day, that "Wii owners buy games whenever they feel like"? Same goes for Wii Fit and Wii Sports Resort as well.

NSMB Wii and Smash Bros Brawl destroyed NOA sales records for the best selling launch games ever. Guess those gamers also just "buy games whenever they feel like".

That is EXACTLY what I said, yes.

Halo 3 would've flopped with Mario Kart Wii launch numbers.

I just mentioned the more popular games, but hell there are so many Wii games out there, where the launch looks pathetic in comparison with their legs.

Same goes vice versa for HD games.

Barozi said:
68soul said:
Ari_Gold said:

HD owners tend to buy their games at launch while Wii owners tend to buy them whenever they feel like. So even though people have the choice to wait for them getting cheaper, they still buy them on launch. HD developers couldn't survive if they'd do it the way Nintendo does.

So yes the business model of the HD twins is better for HD games.

This is absolutely ridiculous, and a total misunderstanding of the point i was tryin' to make: the "business model" i was talkin' about is created thanks to some ultra-expensive blockbusters with multi-million budgets, needing to sell at least one or two million copies at 60-70 euros/dollars as fast as they can...

Now, what's happening with Wii and people waiting, or not buying everything on day one, has absolutely nothing to do whith "the way Nintendo's doing": do you mean Nintendo send us letters, askin' us not to buy our games too fast? You must be kidding...

When you look at Wii sales, the most successful games (and even some "niche hits") have long tails and stay evergreen, and i don't see why this could be a problem for an industry funding tens and tens of multi-million projects: a very easy parallel could be done with the movies industry, where producers first get some money back from theater's tickets, and then, 6 months or one year later, get more incomes from the DVD sales, with these DVD's then sellin' for years...

If your "super extra-cool high-budget HD devs" can't wait for a few months to make their profits, then there's a financial problem on their side, but the problem is not due to the consumer (supposed to be king) and certainly not due to Nintendo...

And a final point: if they really did their business "the way Nintendo does", they would make billions, not millions... survival of the fittest, right?

"A beautiful drawing in 480i will stay beautiful forever...

and an ugly drawing in 1080p will stay ugly forever..."

Barozi said:
Sempuukyaku said:
Barozi said:
Sempuukyaku said:
Barozi said:
68soul said:
Ari_Gold said:

Period.

That is EXACTLY what I said, yes.

Halo 3 would've flopped with Mario Kart Wii launch numbers.

I just mentioned the more popular games, but hell there are so many Wii games out there, where the launch looks pathetic in comparison with their legs.

Same goes vice versa for HD games.

This is now official: you're a total idiot, and there's no point in wasting time with you...

"A beautiful drawing in 480i will stay beautiful forever...

and an ugly drawing in 1080p will stay ugly forever..."