By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Things about Nintendo that disappoint me

There is no denying that Nintendo has done a lot right this generation, but there is always room for improvement. So I have come up with a list of business decisions that make me disappointed in Nintendo. 

1. Marketing Campaign-In my opinion Wii would like to play was the strongest marketing campaign of the three consoles. Then in early 2008 it seemed to disappear completely. I don't see why they would drop the campaign, at the very least have come up with a new campaign.  Sony and Microsoft seem to have reinvented and continued their campaign, so there is no reason for Nintendo to stop theirs.

2.Player Choice- Nintendo seems to have this idea that player choice just decreases profits. I can see where they are coming from with the strength of their evergreen titles but player choice is more than just increased sales and lower profits. It is about letting consumers know what products are quality. This would help the new audience purchase games. Less people would get ripped off and more quality titles would be on retailer shelves. There is really no reason for several year old games to still cost full price.

3. PR- You have Microsoft and Sony fighting it out. Each of them consider Nintendo to be a non issue, not even in the competition. Instead of laughing at their moronic claims and spinning a statement that knocks them both, Nintendo just takes it. Nintendo needs to be more aggressive with their PR statements

4. Hype-Hire a public speaker of something. I remember watching E3, and although the announcements were huge, I just couldn't get hyped. The build-up and delivery just seemed so flat. It was like the speakers weren't hyped themselves. 

5. Spacing-Brawl, Mario Kart, Wii Fit, who was the genius who put those together. Alright understandable, they didn't realize how big those would be. There is no excuse though for leaving late 08 and early 09 barren. You knew from last year that wii fit+ would be big and how could you not think Mario would be big. Hopefully this year Nintendo's big guns will be better spaced so that gamers aren't left with long dry spells.

95% of gamers don't know they are noobs, the 5% who do won't be noobs for long

Check out my kickstarter project: http://kck.st/15CEuUT

Check out my blog: http://www.metropolisgaming.com

Around the Network

All good reasons. One of the main things that disappoint me are some of the new content they've decided to put or some changes they've made in their most popular franchises. I'm just hoping Zelda is not going be like I think it's going to be...

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

I don't understand how Nintendo would be better if they reduced themselves to Sony/Microsoft PR =/

What is disappointing about Nintendo is that they are so awesome.
On a serious note, I think lack of monolith soft games in north america is disappointing.... same with fatal frame.

Localization: C'mon NOA I'm still waiting for my Fatal Frame

Around the Network
metalmonstar said:

There is no denying that Nintendo has done a lot right this generation, but there is always room for improvement. So I have come up with a list of business decisions that make me disappointed in Nintendo. 

1. Marketing Campaign-In my opinion Wii would like to play was the strongest marketing campaign of the three consoles. Then in early 2008 it seemed to disappear completely. I don't see why they would drop the campaign, at the very least have come up with a new campaign.  Sony and Microsoft seem to have reinvented and continued their campaign, so there is no reason for Nintendo to stop theirs.

I completely agree here. Though I do believe the advertising for NSMB Wii was awesome.

2.Player Choice- Nintendo seems to have this idea that player choice just decreases profits. I can see where they are coming from with the strength of their evergreen titles but player choice is more than just increased sales and lower profits. It is about letting consumers know what products are quality. This would help the new audience purchase games. Less people would get ripped off and more quality titles would be on retailer shelves. There is really no reason for several year old games to still cost full price.

I also agree with this point.

3. PR- You have Microsoft and Sony fighting it out. Each of them consider Nintendo to be a non issue, not even in the competition. Instead of laughing at their moronic claims and spinning a statement that knocks them both, Nintendo just takes it. Nintendo needs to be more aggressive with their PR statements

As I said before, I don't see why Nintendo needs to stoop to the level of Sony and Microsoft's PR.

4. Hype-Hire a public speaker of something. I remember watching E3, and although the announcements were huge, I just couldn't get hyped. The build-up and delivery just seemed so flat. It was like the speakers weren't hyped themselves. 

No..just..no. Hype causes expecations to skyrocket and they are hardly ever satisfied.

5. Spacing-Brawl, Mario Kart, Wii Fit, who was the genius who put those together. Alright understandable, they didn't realize how big those would be. There is no excuse though for leaving late 08 and early 09 barren. You knew from last year that wii fit+ would be big and how could you not think Mario would be big. Hopefully this year Nintendo's big guns will be better spaced so that gamers aren't left with long dry spells.

I agree but I believe their reasoning was to allow Third Parties a chance to shine.

I think Nintendo not marketing or even acknowledging games that arnt for everybody is annoying.... I just see S&P2,and Zangeki no Reginleiv being stealth released, or talking alot but not saying/doing much... intill ur ready to actually SAY and SHOW something ..STOP talking about ZELDA, dont talk about marketing S&P2... DO IT!

They don't have player choice games because that encourages customers to wait for a price drop to buy the game. For them (customers) when they see a game drop in price it means the value is decreasing as well. Nintendo games keep their value well over time.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

the reason i don't buy nintendo games anymore is that they don't care for the consumer at all, hence the lack of players choice nintendo games this gen. I get it they want more money, and its understandable, but its not good for me (consumer)

Ari_Gold said:
the reason i don't buy nintendo games anymore is that they don't care for the consumer at all, hence the lack of players choice nintendo games this gen. I get it they want more money, and its understandable, but its not good for me (consumer)

for some reason im having a brain fart... define Players choice?