By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Infinity Ward: Developing for ps3 was easy.

IllegalPaladin said:
Well, it looks like EA and Ubisoft will have to find other excuses.

My sentiments exactly.

Around the Network

Apparently Ubisoft doesn't want to feel behind.

http://ps3.qj.net/Ubisoft-s-Guillemot-developing-games-for-the-PS3-isn-t-harder-than-for-Xbox-360/pg/49/aid/107136

"It looks like things are getting somewhat brighter for Sony. Infinity Ward's Grant Collier proved that unlike most other game developers, they're not having any difficulties with developing for Sony's PlayStation 3. Now Ubisoft's president and CEO Yves Guillemot somehow followed suit, saying that between the PS3 and Microsoft's Xbox 360, one isn't harder to develop for over the other.

Guillemot said that in developing cross-platform games, converting an Xbox 360 game into PS3 software is no more effortless than doing it vice versa. However, Ubisoft currently develops cross-platform games for both systems at the same time.

While Guillemot said that their gaming engines are now optimized for both Xbox 360 and PS3 software development, Ubisoft's president does admit that developing PS3 games was previously a bit more expensive since "it was difficult to learn the PS3 hardware"."

Dallinor said:
It's surprising to see a small developer like Mercury Steam (Jericho) able to release a game on both 360 and PS3 on the same day, while EA and Ubisoft struggle to do the same. There must be some bad management of resources taking place as Infinity Ward are hinting at.

If you played Jericho you wouldn't be surprised that game did not turn out as expected. Undying was excellent, Jericho was disappointing to say the least. Infintiy Ward is the exception to the rule. Publishers focus their efforts were the most money is. Its not on PS3 so for the most part the PS3 versions of multiplatform games are going to be inferior. The Gamecube was inexpensive and easy to developer for and it still got shoddy ports because it had the smallest userbase. I can count on one hand the number development teams outside of Nintendo that actually took advantage of the Gamecube hardware.

The Saturn, in some ways, reminds me of the PS3. It wasn't as well designed as the PS3 but it has some of the same issues. Sega internal teams made Saturn titled that equaled or surpassed Playstation titles graphically yet third parties couldn't get close to harnessing the platforms true ability. In fact outside of Power Slave, Grandia, and Dead or Alive most 3D third party games on Saturn were horrible.

Yes the demo of Jericho wasn't what you call good. At least in my opinion, it wasn't worthy to be on my hard drive (same with the Conan demo) for more than a day or so. I'm liking the fact that David Hayter plays a roll, but not that the game isn't that great.

Dolla Dolla said:
Just cause Infinity Ward knows how to handle Cell doesn't mean EA and Ubisoft will magically learn, unfortunately. I just hope their approach is rewarded.

If you own a PS3 and don't buy COD4, you are part of the problem.
I agree.  That game looks awesome and will be one of the first i pickup when i get a PS3.  Well unless my friend picks it up for his 360.

Around the Network

I love Call of Duty 4... It looks gorgeous and plays way better then 2 or 3...

But, I don't think that the graphics and gameplay achieved are much beyond CoD 2 or especially 3...

Inifinity Ward seems to know the best tricks to make things look great. Infinity Ward says that they started CoD4 just after 2 was completed so that makes a development cycle that was based on existing code not an entirely new engine. This is not to detract from the game... I just don't think that saying development was easy is a big deal when they had a significant amount of the code already created and just ported it. They fixed a lot with the AI and shooting enemies from a distance, but you can tell this is still the previous CoDs, but significantly improved.

It would be interesting to hear how much Infinity Ward feels they are using the power in each console as a percentage. My feeling would be 40-60%...

@ Ubisoft: O.M.G... pathetic.

PS: I also heard Jericho was a letdown, reviews back it up as well.

This is pure PR speak on a "We are better than everyone else" level.

It may or may not be true, but it looks like the majority of posters here have bought into it already.

Well Words of Wisdom,

Both platforms came out on the same day, and are identical. No hiccups that other companies have run into.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Yeah, Words of Wisdom, if you're going to take everybody else's word for it that the PS3 is hard to develop for, why wouldn't you take Infinity Ward's word that it was just as easy as the 360? They backed it up and released a virtually identical game on both systems simultaneously. If they can do it, so can everyone else. No more of this bulllcrap with game companies not bothering to learn the hardware before they make the PS3 version and just keeping the 360 one on track for release 3 months before the PS3. Now we find out that the only thing it takes is either a development team that doesn't suck or better allocation of resources.

Actually reminds me a little bit of the argument I heard developers use against the Wii. "We didn't think it was going to be successful, so we didn't bother learning the hardware until it WAS successful, so we rushed everything from there and it sucks now." ...adding afterward...."So now we can't compete with Nintendo, because they actually WORKED on their games."