By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Infinity Ward: Developing for ps3 was easy.

Apostrovich said:
Yeah, Words of Wisdom, if you're going to take everybody else's word for it that the PS3 is hard to develop for, why wouldn't you take Infinity Ward's word that it was just as easy as the 360? They backed it up and released a virtually identical game on both systems simultaneously. If they can do it, so can everyone else. No more of this bulllcrap with game companies not bothering to learn the hardware before they make the PS3 version and just keeping the 360 one on track for release 3 months before the PS3. Now we find out that the only thing it takes is either a development team that doesn't suck or better allocation of resources.

Actually reminds me a little bit of the argument I heard developers use against the Wii. "We didn't think it was going to be successful, so we didn't bother learning the hardware until it WAS successful, so we rushed everything from there and it sucks now." ...adding afterward...."So now we can't compete with Nintendo, because they actually WORKED on their games."

That's just it. I haven't taken anyone's word just yet. The jury is still out on that matter IMO.  I lean towards believing it when I hear developers reinforcing it and see games that look better on the 360 and PS3. Then upon hearing stuff like this I lean back towards the other side wondering if there's something else going on.

Is Infinity Ward just looking to plant a feather in their cap at this time? Maybe it was hard and they don't want to acknowledge it. You've got to admit that coming out and saying it's easy when other developers are saying it's hard is kind of strange. Are we to suddenly believe that Infinity Ward is full of programming geniuses and other big name developers are full of idiots?

Another explanation may be that programming styles are nowhere near centralized and while one company may have a great deal of experience in the parallel programming necessary for the PS3's architecture, another company may only be used to dealing with serial.

At this point, buying into any one viewpoint seems foolish.

Around the Network

I'm looking forward to next-gen when I can play a high-quality HD cinematic shooter like CoD4 with high-fidelity IR pointer controls like MoH:H2.