By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Really disappointed in Zelda Spirit Tracks...

hsrob said:
SaviorX said:
New Super Mario Bros. Wii was good, a nice 6/10, but it lacked online....... :P

I'm assuming you mean a good 6/10 rather than what it has generally come to mean these days but I still couldn't disagree more.  I actually termpered my expectations of this game intiially due to some people claiming that it wasn't all that great but after playing it most of the way through I just love it. 

I found myself replaying stages over and over again, just because they were so well designed, rather than always only pushing forward to the finish. Is it genre defining, no, but I'd argue it would be harder to achieve that with a 2D platformer than in almost any other genre. It's pretty much everything else I could have asked for though.

OT: I got Spirit Tracks for my brother for Christmas so I will be keen to see how he's enjoying it.

I was just kiddin. I really think the game is a 6 upside-down.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network
SaviorX said:
hsrob said:
SaviorX said:
New Super Mario Bros. Wii was good, a nice 6/10, but it lacked online....... :P

I'm assuming you mean a good 6/10 rather than what it has generally come to mean these days but I still couldn't disagree more.  I actually termpered my expectations of this game intiially due to some people claiming that it wasn't all that great but after playing it most of the way through I just love it. 

I found myself replaying stages over and over again, just because they were so well designed, rather than always only pushing forward to the finish. Is it genre defining, no, but I'd argue it would be harder to achieve that with a 2D platformer than in almost any other genre. It's pretty much everything else I could have asked for though.

OT: I got Spirit Tracks for my brother for Christmas so I will be keen to see how he's enjoying it.

I was just kiddin. I really think the game is a 6 upside-down.

I thought you might have been but i just couldn't take the chance that you weren't and leave that claim unanswered :P

I'm all of 15 minutes into it and I don't like the train so far, but just about everything else is vintage Zelda. PH was my second favorite Zelda after ALTtP so, I'll probably like this no matter what.

CommonMan said:
I'm all of 15 minutes into it and I don't like the train so far, but just about everything else is vintage Zelda. PH was my second favorite Zelda after ALTtP so, I'll probably like this no matter what.

Never played that one........one of few Zeldas I never played (4 swords and....Spirit Tracks...)

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Please people who haven`t played this game, shut the fuck up.

This game is one of the most creative and fun Zelda games I`ve played. I think it`s much better than Phantom Hourglass.
Why is it creative and fun?

1. The train. If driving a train ain`t fun, then go back to your g-box and play fps games.
2. Controlling Zelda inside the giant knight.
3. Escaping those horrifying devil trains.
4. Driving a train under water.
5. The pleasure of catching those pesky rabbits.
6. Driving the train with a passenger.
7. Playing the pan flute.

Thank you
10/10

Around the Network

I started a file on a friends DS and I didn't like it, but then again i didn't like PH either. I guess I'm just a fan of console zeldas. Come to think of it, i didn't like LttP remake for GBA either. But OoT, MM, WW and TP are all amazing to me... I think it has to do with the production values. Something about the teeny games turn me off. LttP was just dated, and PH and ST just don't look that intricate.

Citan said:

Please people who haven`t played this game, shut the fuck up.

This game is one of the most creative and fun Zelda games I`ve played. I think it`s much better than Phantom Hourglass.
Why is it creative and fun?

1. The train. If driving a train ain`t fun, then go back to your g-box and play fps games.
2. Controlling Zelda inside the giant knight.
3. Escaping those horrifying devil trains.
4. Driving a train under water.
5. The pleasure of catching those pesky rabbits.
6. Driving the train with a passenger.
7. Playing the pan flute.

Thank you
10/10

Not everyone is entertained by such trivial, frivolous things. I personally felt ST was a step back from PH in many regards. The reliance on ostentatious gimmicks was a paramount design flaw leading to issues with, among other things, the progression of certain plot events and the way the story is intergrated with the gameplay. Furthermore, removing the exploration element essentially reduces the game to a dungeon crawler - a fact that I am sure was not all that popular with a large segment of the fanbase.

Catching bunnies really does nothing to remedy these more fundamental problems.

@ Citan

Who exactly is unjustly hating on the game.....

That'd be no one.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

It's okay to feel that way, shams. We all have our entries in our favorite series that just rub us the wrong way. I loved Spirit Tracks, but you can take comfort in that you are not alone and that you won't (hopefully) be derided for your distaste.

I completely disagree. I thought PH sucked, and ST is loads better. It was kind of boring at first, but it's definitely better. I'm just going to do the point for point thing because it's the easiest way to explain myself.

shams said:

Ok, I'm not going to rave on too much here. Figure I'm about halfway through the game, and should reserve judgement until I'm done. But in short:

- I loved Phantom Hourglass (more so than Twilight really)
 - I hated PH. Worst Non-CDi Zelda ever.

- big Zelda fan in general, have played all the games
 - Haven't played all the handheld games, or Windwaker (I can't find that game anywhere)

I'm really disappointed with Spirit Tracks. I'm slightly less disappointed now than I was at the start, but still...
Spirit Tracks intially met my expectations, which were for it to suck like PH did, but it got better after the first dungeon.

- I feel its the first time there has ever been a real derivative game in the Zelda series. Every game up to now has been really original, and different when compared to previous titles (including Majora) - with Spirit Tracks, it feels like they took PH, added the on-rails part - and extended the game. Its more an expansion than a real new Zelda.
 - I'll admit the formula was similar, but that can be said about all Zeldas. I say they improved upon PH.

- I enjoyed the boating in PH, but I'm close to disgusted with the train sections in ST. Apart from really not making *any* sense (in story terms) its just *not* fun in any way. Its also Zelda on rails - something that amuses me (in a bad way). Its lost a core element of the classic zelda gameplay - it limits exploration, removes puzzles from the overworld (and so on).
 - I feel the exact opposite. I hated the steam boat with a passion. ST wasn't any more limiting than PH where you couldn't visit sections of the ocean because you didn't have the chart, or there were rocks in the way, or a storm. There were like two freaking islands in the whole game you didn't need to visit to finish it. At least the tracks gave a satisfying reason you can't visit parts of the world you dont have a map for, there are no tracks to get there. Honestly though, Zelda games need a real overworld.

- even the original zelda's had the player exploring a large world. In ST, they have managed to break it down to small, digestible segments - and taken away most of the fun in the meantime. The levels I have explored seem to be more about constraining the player, then encouraging exploration and creativity with the items.
 - The same can be said for PH. Those were some of the reasons I didn't like PH. I can't understand how you see that as a diffrence between the two.

- the production (for a Zelda game) is some of the worst I have ever seen from Nintendo - ever. Part of the purpose of having an "on-rails" system is to enhance a game visually (control camera/placement) - but there is no attempt of this at all. The entire overworld feels like a quick tech demo, with programmer art - something someone whipped up in their spare time, and was considered 'good enough'. Some of the textures and flat trees ... are truly horrible IMO. In comparison the overhead levels are excellent.
 - On rails doesn't mean the same in ST as it does for an on rails shooter. When you get near the end of the game you can travel all over the place, it's not a linear track at all. I'll agree the textures suck, but they sucked in PH aswell, I balme the hardware for that.

- its extremely 'rinse-and-repeat', even more so than I have ever seen before from any Zelda. Go to tower. Get 3 things. Attack X. Get map. Go to point 'A'. Solve Puzzle. Go to point 'B'. Play song. Go to temple. Solve temple. Go back to tower, do 4 times to get to end of game (* - based on my current experience - with some extra events thrown in here and there).
 - Just like PH, and every other Zelda since Oot. Arguably every Zelda.

- one of the big advertised things for me was the duality control of Hero & Zelda - but I was extremely disappointed to see it only used in the tower sections (to date). Boo hoo.
 - Honestly, I'd find it a pain to have to lug Zelda around everywhere. I can agree to disagree here. I'm glad you didn't need to use both young and old Link for every temple in Oot, and I'm glad you don't need to become a wolf in every dungeon in TP. The gimmick would get worn out.

- the player guiding is much worse than previous games. Lets just say I got "stuck" at a section because the game was telling me NOT to leave - when I actually had to leave, explore half the world, and learn some obscure song to continue. No hints, guidance or anything - in fact it was anti-guiding me. Boo, boo, boo!
 - Finally a Zelda that doesn't hold your hand! Haven't had one of those in a while. I haven't actually checked but I believe the leader of that ocean town can tell you what to do next like the fortune tellers in ALttP.

There have been some pro's for me:

- interaction with the Princess is cute and fun

- the dungeons are classic zelda, with lots of fun puzzles (but so far with too little and easy combat)
 - Classic Zelda was all about combat in the dungeons, with sprinkles of puzzles thrown in. ST (and PH) is the opposite. Though to be fair the control scheme doesn't lend itself to combat very well.

I'm not going to write it off until I finish it - but so far its a disappointing 7/10 for me. I was hoping for much more from Ninty - I really hope the Wii Zelda is better.
I'd also give it a 7, or maybe an 8 out of 10, but I was expecting a 5. A lot of it comes down to expectations. I was expecting to hate it and I liked it, you were expecting to love it and you disliked it.

"Now, a fun game should always be easy to understand - you should be able to take one look at it and know what you have to do straight away. It should be so well constructed that you can tell at a glance what your goal is and, even if you don’t succeed, you’ll blame yourself rather than the game. Moreover, the people standing around watching the game have also got to be able to enjoy it." - Shiggy

A Koopa's Revenge II gameplay video