By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Really disappointed in Zelda Spirit Tracks...

Citan said:

Please people who haven`t played this game, shut the fuck up.

This game is one of the most creative and fun Zelda games I`ve played. I think it`s much better than Phantom Hourglass.
Why is it creative and fun?

1. The train. If driving a train ain`t fun, then go back to your g-box and play fps games.
2. Controlling Zelda inside the giant knight.
3. Escaping those horrifying devil trains.
4. Driving a train under water.
5. The pleasure of catching those pesky rabbits.
6. Driving the train with a passenger.
7. Playing the pan flute.

Thank you
10/10

Sorry in advance for picking on your post...

1/ Train? What is fun about driving the train? It *could* have been fun (I have been involved in design of some real train control simulators) - and a "reverse/stop/go/faster" control level along with a whistle does not do it for me... sorry. I was pretty disappointed when I discovered the game let you plot your course from 'A' to 'B' - and eliminate the need to switch tracks.

2/ Yes, controlling Zelda is fun - but they could have used this throughout the entire game - including other creatures. It would have led to much more interesting, unique and varied gameplay.

3/ Apart from the fact that they don't really "make sense", I don't see much fun in them. Their movement is effectively random - sometimes you get cornered, sometimes you don't. This could have been a much more interesting dynamic (Pacman like or other). There are some mini-bugs with them as well, but whatever...

4/ Haven't done that yet (about to I think).

5/ The rabbits virtually sum up for me what is broken in ST. I guess some people love it, and some ... don't.

6/ It did make the train a bit more interesting (rather than set to full throttle...  and wait) - but I also found it slightly broken. I was doing the right thing, at what I considered the right time... but it worked sometimes... and didn't others. Probably got more of this coming.

7/ Ohh, the pain of trying to use the mic on public transport :P. I actually had to put the game away at one point, because it was impossible to progress while playing ST on a train (the irony). To be honest, I didn't find the flute fun at all.

I actually think the train was a good idea - just badly implemented. The ultra-non-spectacular gfx didn't help me either.

BTW, I'm one of these strange people that *loved* the main dungeon (Ocean King?) in PH. It *seemed* to be painful - but the more you played it, the more you realised how much fun it was finding quicker ways through the old floors each time - it was brilliant design.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network
shams said:
Citan said:

4. Driving a train under water.

4/ Haven't done that yet (about to I think).

Now, i'm goin' to be the one to pick your post: sorry in advance...

But really, if you haven't reached that part yet, then you're still NOWHERE in the game: 25% i'd say, and with all the best parts yet to come...

I may agree that the game is slow at start, and that the train part may be a little bit boring (at first). But you should have more patience, discover all the secrets, all the shortcuts, all the sidequests, fight the final boss, and then have a critical opinion on the WHOLE game...

Of course, some people won't like the game, as no game in this world can please everyone...

But too may people on internet (and i don't speak about you here, shams, but about many people writing on these forums or other ones) just hate games they haven't even played, or haven't played enough, just for the pleasure of ranting and doin' the smart guys who are not like the majority of fans of that particular game/franchise...

But these people forget one thing: it's hard to look smart when you seem like someone full of bias (to stay polite)...

My final word: this is my favourite handheld Zelda, and i've played them ALL over the years... now, just play it till the end to discover why a "real" Zelda fan like me can write such a statement...

"A beautiful drawing in 480i will stay beautiful forever...

and an ugly drawing in 1080p will stay ugly forever..."

Nice try Shams, or should I say GANON! I'm not falling for your trickery!

@ shams

just one thing ? did you realy write this " Really disappointed in Zelda Spirit Tracks... " ?

if so then you are wrong to do it. I've beaten ST the game is so so Epic really challenging really captiving you really can't go wrong with ST if you loved PH.

and for casual gamer time for them to feel the real essence of Zelda that's all.

I didn't liked PH, but I liked this game better, even this game is still a shadow
in zelda series

Around the Network
Roar_Of_War said:

I guess I'll just send them a post card and have them meet us here.

Go look it up. You can see for yourself I'm clearly repeating spoken words. I know what you're trying to say, and to some extent I agree - but I know what reality is. I'll re-word it then:

Google all over for Phantom Hourglass, Helios. Tell me what you find in the majority, and do the same for Spirit Tracks. Then please compare.

The internet or posting thereon aren't that representative of the whole fandom, either, and every game in the series is potentially divisive (I guess - I've found that I've liked every one I've played, except for Adventure of Link which I am too much of a weenie to beat).

More, majority opinion doesn't make for a great argument either.

Citan said:

So, you actually think Ocean temple was a great temple while it is probably the weakest temple in any Zelda game.

Now, I`m finished here.

The Temple of the Ocean King was fantastic - because it matched up with my value set concerning what a good temple should be. Disagreeing on this point does not make either of us wrong.

Of course, I consider the Tower of Spirits to be the best dungeon in the series period, but that may be a point for another discussion.

Up to now (Ocean Temple) im finding this game quite dull and a bit of a chore.

Dunno seems like that I dont really feel the old Zelda magic in this one or perhaps Ive outgrown the series.

To be more specific:

Dont like the stylus based combat, especially for boss fights where things tend to be a bit hectic. I find myself frantically poking the screen and thus restricting my viewpoint. I dont think that combat and movement maped together on the stylus is vrey comfortable.

The story does not engage me in any way whatsoever and the game world lacks any 'epic' feeling for me.

Villages and towns consist of three houses with three inhabitants that are very basically characterized and gormless.

Train travel feels restrictive, boring and univentive and the landscape is bland. Some of the textures on trees, mountains etc are a real eyesore. Dont even get me started on how irritating I find those damn enemy trains.

Basically anything in between the dungeons, which are the games strongest bit for me, i find to be a turnoff.

All in all this feels more like a game for series newcomers and/or a younger audience. Not sure whether ill see this to the end as Muramasa, Demon's souls and NSMBWii are calling me.

Bring on the DS 2 I say with the rendering power for a proper WindWaker sequel.

It's worth noting here that Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks represent a different direction taken for the series - a third school, established after the first two (which began with LoZ and OoT, respectively) and focusing much more on puzzles and with entirely different play mechanics separating the dungeons, the towns, and the overworld.

If it doesn't feel like old Zelda games, that's because it's not, in ways that those unfamiliar with the series would not really be able to see. I do not mind that it is different, though. In fact, I find it kind of delightful.

I disagree. I think this is the 2nd best Zelda in the series. The game's fun increase alot during the 3rd and 4th dungeon. Than slowed down in the 5th. Though when you get to the final boss. Its just epic. I say the best parts of the game is at the 2nd half

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you.