By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Really disappointed in Zelda Spirit Tracks...

68soul said:
shams said:
Citan said:

4. Driving a train under water.

4/ Haven't done that yet (about to I think).

Now, i'm goin' to be the one to pick your post: sorry in advance...

But really, if you haven't reached that part yet, then you're still NOWHERE in the game: 25% i'd say, and with all the best parts yet to come...

If I am actually only 25% way through (just finished fixing the bridge), then I may live to eat my words. I didn't imagine I was 50% done... but closer to 40%.

I did preface my rant saying that it was "partial" thoughts - but these thoughts are real, and in no way made up.

Again - I loved PH to death - from the very, very beginning all the way through to the end (including all side quests). It was a solid 9.5 for me.

I'll get back to playing it now, and see how it goes...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network
sc94597 said:

Spirit Tracks is in my top 5 Zeldas, so you can already tell I disagree, I am to lazy to explain why I disagree though. :D I do have to say that you wouldn't be rating it a 7/10 if it wasn't a Zelda game though, would you?

The score is the score. The game isn't terrible - I'm still playing it. I'm just finding it disappointing.

For reference, my approx scores for some previous Zeldas (IMO):

PH: 9.5

Twilight: 9

OOT: 10

Wind Waker: 9.5

LTTP: 9.5

Zelda (original): 10 [hard to explain, but still my favourite in the series]

Zelda II: 9.5 [also really loved it at the time, as different as it was]

Majora's: 8.5 [really enjoyed it, but never finished it - and ultimately found it frustrating]

Awakening (GB): 9.5

Minish Cap: 9.5 [Brilliant game, unbelievable production for a GBA title]

I tend to rate Zelda games *very* highly. Hopefully ST will reach 8.5 or higher by the time I'm done with it.

I'll update this thread if/when my thoughts change...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

I agree with you in part about the over world.

For me it’s the only section of Spirit Tracks that’s disappointing. It really is anti exploration – even the boat let you draw your own path. But the game has some of the hardest (and most fun) Zelda boss battles to date and the dungeons are some of the hardest in years.

Plus I thought the story was well presented and the tracks themselves were tied in cleverly. On the graphics... well I've never been a fan of the cell shaded style on DS - it just looks wrong to me. I'd rather go back to 2D, but you can't have everything.

I just hope Zelda Wii brings back over world exploration on foot… if there is one at all.

Still have to pick this one up.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

To each his own, but I loved every second of Spirit Tracks. Not that I didn't like Phantom Hourglass, but everything just felt so much more tighter in comparison of the two. Better puzzles, epic boss fights, awesome story, and they fixed the damned rolling which made me want to stab the stylus through my DS in PH.

Around the Network
VTnev27 said:
To each his own, but I loved every second of Spirit Tracks. Not that I didn't like Phantom Hourglass, but everything just felt so much more tighter in comparison of the two. Better puzzles, epic boss fights, awesome story, and they fixed the damned rolling which made me want to stab the stylus through my DS in PH.

Funny, considering the method for rolling in Spirit Tracks provides a better opportunity for "stabbing" through your DS with the stylus.

Roar_Of_War said:
VTnev27 said:

Funny, considering the method for rolling in Spirit Tracks provides a better opportunity for "stabbing" through your DS with the stylus.

Maybe, but the whole "draw a small circle in front of your character to roll" rarely worked for me, whereas the double tap never gave me a problem at all. Maybe I'm the only one though.

hsrob said:
SaviorX said:
New Super Mario Bros. Wii was good, a nice 6/10, but it lacked online....... :P

I'm assuming you mean a good 6/10 rather than what it has generally come to mean these days but I still couldn't disagree more.  I actually termpered my expectations of this game intiially due to some people claiming that it wasn't all that great but after playing it most of the way through I just love it. 

I found myself replaying stages over and over again, just because they were so well designed, rather than always only pushing forward to the finish. Is it genre defining, no, but I'd argue it would be harder to achieve that with a 2D platformer than in almost any other genre. It's pretty much everything else I could have asked for though.

OT: I got Spirit Tracks for my brother for Christmas so I will be keen to see how he's enjoying it.

@SaviorX,what's the big deal with online?How many points do u personally subtract from a game that has no online?I've never played online before & the same is true of many gamers,but in a game that only allows 4 players at once(GOW,SSBB,NSMBWii),I'm very sure I will ALWAYS prefer 4 players in the same room to online.Can't say the same 4 games with more than 4 players at a time,though.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs

Phantom Hourglass was probably the worst mainline Zelda imo, and it all had to do with the overly simplistic hand-holding dungeoning. It's like they put everything into crafting this amazing interface (that actually works!) and just dialed in the rest.

Spirit Tracks is better in about every regard, but I have to agree that I'm tired of the vehicle based overworld. I'd kill for a DS Zelda using this engine with an oldschool overworld to manually traverse and explore.

shams said:
sc94597 said:

Spirit Tracks is in my top 5 Zeldas, so you can already tell I disagree, I am to lazy to explain why I disagree though. :D I do have to say that you wouldn't be rating it a 7/10 if it wasn't a Zelda game though, would you?

The score is the score. The game isn't terrible - I'm still playing it. I'm just finding it disappointing.

For reference, my approx scores for some previous Zeldas (IMO):

PH: 9.5

Twilight: 9

OOT: 10

Wind Waker: 9.5

LTTP: 9.5

Zelda (original): 10 [hard to explain, but still my favourite in the series]

Zelda II: 9.5 [also really loved it at the time, as different as it was]

Majora's: 8.5 [really enjoyed it, but never finished it - and ultimately found it frustrating]

Awakening (GB): 9.5

Minish Cap: 9.5 [Brilliant game, unbelievable production for a GBA title]

I tend to rate Zelda games *very* highly. Hopefully ST will reach 8.5 or higher by the time I'm done with it.

I'll update this thread if/when my thoughts change...

NOOOOO!!!!Finish the game you must!It's my 2nd best game of all time(OoT) is my 1st.That's cuz it's the hardest 3d Zelda imo,and has by far the best side quests.If you beat the side quests in this game,ALL of them,the game becomes almost twice as good as if you had just beaten it normally.For me,OoT & MM are 10s!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs