By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Really disappointed in Zelda Spirit Tracks...

Ok, I'm not going to rave on too much here. Figure I'm about halfway through the game, and should reserve judgement until I'm done. But in short:

- I loved Phantom Hourglass (more so than Twilight really)

- big Zelda fan in general, have played all the games

I'm really disappointed with Spirit Tracks. I'm slightly less disappointed now than I was at the start, but still...

- I feel its the first time there has ever been a real derivative game in the Zelda series. Every game up to now has been really original, and different when compared to previous titles (including Majora) - with Spirit Tracks, it feels like they took PH, added the on-rails part - and extended the game. Its more an expansion than a real new Zelda.

- I enjoyed the boating in PH, but I'm close to disgusted with the train sections in ST. Apart from really not making *any* sense (in story terms) its just *not* fun in any way. Its also Zelda on rails - something that amuses me (in a bad way). Its lost a core element of the classic zelda gameplay - it limits exploration, removes puzzles from the overworld (and so on).

- even the original zelda's had the player exploring a large world. In ST, they have managed to break it down to small, digestible segments - and taken away most of the fun in the meantime. The levels I have explored seem to be more about constraining the player, then encouraging exploration and creativity with the items.

- the production (for a Zelda game) is some of the worst I have ever seen from Nintendo - ever. Part of the purpose of having an "on-rails" system is to enhance a game visually (control camera/placement) - but there is no attempt of this at all. The entire overworld feels like a quick tech demo, with programmer art - something someone whipped up in their spare time, and was considered 'good enough'. Some of the textures and flat trees ... are truly horrible IMO. In comparison the overhead levels are excellent.

- its extremely 'rinse-and-repeat', even more so than I have ever seen before from any Zelda. Go to tower. Get 3 things. Attack X. Get map. Go to point 'A'. Solve Puzzle. Go to point 'B'. Play song. Go to temple. Solve temple. Go back to tower, do 4 times to get to end of game (* - based on my current experience - with some extra events thrown in here and there).

- one of the big advertised things for me was the duality control of Hero & Zelda - but I was extremely disappointed to see it only used in the tower sections (to date). Boo hoo.

- the player guiding is much worse than previous games. Lets just say I got "stuck" at a section because the game was telling me NOT to leave - when I actually had to leave, explore half the world, and learn some obscure song to continue. No hints, guidance or anything - in fact it was anti-guiding me. Boo, boo, boo!

There have been some pro's for me:

- interaction with the Princess is cute and fun

- the dungeons are classic zelda, with lots of fun puzzles (but so far with too little and easy combat)

I'm not going to write it off until I finish it - but so far its a disappointing 7/10 for me. I was hoping for much more from Ninty - I really hope the Wii Zelda is better.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

Nintendo is lazy, has been since Mario Kart released.

This Zelda is so basic because they are dumbing it down for the DS audience....like they cannot learn from a freakin tutorial. They want more people to get into the series but are only causing some to walk out.

I'm not even being sarcastic.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

But its not casual - I think this would be a lot harder for a newbie to play than PH was. My wife played and enjoyed PH (she only got 20% or so through it - but at least she tried) - I doubt she would get anywhere in ST.

Did Ninty really need another DS title for this Xmas slot? I think not - pity they didn't hold it for another 6 months, and make it really special.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

They probably did need it; at least to hold over until the Pokemon remakes.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

SaviorX said:

If laziness gets me NSMBWii, I pray that they never get their rears off the couch.

Around the Network

New Super Mario Bros. Wii was good, a nice 6/10, but it lacked online....... :P

SaviorX said:

This Zelda is so basic because they are dumbing it down for the DS audience....like they cannot learn from a freakin tutorial. They want more people to get into the series but are only causing some to walk out.

Please let's hope Zelda Wii is awesome.

No wonder I hated Phantom Hourglass.

Snesboy said:
SaviorX said:

Please let's hope Zelda Wii is awesome.

No wonder I hated Phantom Hourglass.

This is the console game; they don't F around with those. Zelda Wii will be great.

Huh, I've been hearing nothing but good things about this game. Most people seem to think it's a much better game than PH.

SaviorX said:
New Super Mario Bros. Wii was good, a nice 6/10, but it lacked online....... :P

I'm assuming you mean a good 6/10 rather than what it has generally come to mean these days but I still couldn't disagree more.  I actually termpered my expectations of this game intiially due to some people claiming that it wasn't all that great but after playing it most of the way through I just love it. 

I found myself replaying stages over and over again, just because they were so well designed, rather than always only pushing forward to the finish. Is it genre defining, no, but I'd argue it would be harder to achieve that with a 2D platformer than in almost any other genre. It's pretty much everything else I could have asked for though.

OT: I got Spirit Tracks for my brother for Christmas so I will be keen to see how he's enjoying it.