By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Really disappointed in Zelda Spirit Tracks...

Helios said:
Citan said:

Please people who haven`t played this game, shut the fuck up.

This game is one of the most creative and fun Zelda games I`ve played. I think it`s much better than Phantom Hourglass.
Why is it creative and fun?

1. The train. If driving a train ain`t fun, then go back to your g-box and play fps games.
2. Controlling Zelda inside the giant knight.
3. Escaping those horrifying devil trains.
4. Driving a train under water.
5. The pleasure of catching those pesky rabbits.
6. Driving the train with a passenger.
7. Playing the pan flute.

Thank you
10/10

Not everyone is entertained by such trivial, frivolous things. I personally felt ST was a step back from PH in many regards. The reliance on ostentatious gimmicks was a paramount design flaw leading to issues with, among other things, the progression of certain plot events and the way the story is intergrated with the gameplay. Furthermore, removing the exploration element essentially reduces the game to a dungeon crawler.

Catching bunnies really does nothing to remedy these more fundamental problems.

Plot events in a Zelda game? Story?

Zelda games is heavily based on gameplay.

Phantom Hourglass`s exploration on the sea with a chartered map is no exploration at all.

Don`t you see that this game IS a step forward from other Zelda games. A small one, but at least it is.

But in the end it`s all a matter of taste people says. Yes, but even if you like driving trains or listening to classic music or heavy metal all can

be perfected.

Around the Network

The game was good, but there was some things that annoyed me with this game and PH. I really really really hate those 2 dungeon in both games that just keep on going forever. The dungeons with those knights in it with all of those safe spot, where you have to get hte tracks, and whatever in PH. It just felt tedious to do those.

Also with the normal dungeons, the boss key was ok, but I still think they should have had the dungeon maps and compass, I mean as items like in the other zelda games. Also the should be self making like in the other zelda games, you go in a room and the map is estended.

@Helios: Except that not everyone thinks what you call "gimmicks" are so horrible. Not everyone agrees with YOU either. Not to mention Phantom Hourglass is the most hated title in the series with the fans. Spirit Tracks is a vast improvement for many, including myself. 8.5/10

PH 6/10. The boat offered absolutely no freedom outside of that empty sea with nothing to do in it, and at least Spirit Tracks has sidequests. Train is slower, but its no more a gimmick than a boat or a steam boat is. We're just speaking in the future compared to the time when Link riding a boat in Wind Waker was hated to the core, until people learned to accept it. Flute is also very, very easy to perform well with for at least as many people as the ones who have trouble with it, and if its a gimmick its a damn nice one. Aside from that, what else is a gimmick? Train Tracks? They don't offer less freedom than PH, I'll tell you that buddy. Everything else with ST is also better than PH in, so you no longer have a valid argument in my eyes.

and yes, people ARE unjustly hating on this game. Savior stated he had never played 4 swords and SPIRIT TRACKS, when earlier he stated that Spirit Tracks was dumbed down for casuals when he hasn't even played it yet.

Roar_Of_War said:

Except that not everyone thinks what you call "gimmicks" are so horrible. Not everyone agrees with YOU either. Not to mention Phantom Hourglass is the most hated title in the series with the fans. Spirit Tracks is a vast improvement for many, including myself. 8.5/10

I don't think speaking for a whole fanbase is really kosher either

Edit:

And lay off Helios, he's one of the biggest fans on the forum. It's all right for him to not like som entries in the series as much as others

Citan said:
Helios said:
Citan said:

Please people who haven`t played this game, shut the fuck up.

This game is one of the most creative and fun Zelda games I`ve played. I think it`s much better than Phantom Hourglass.
Why is it creative and fun?

1. The train. If driving a train ain`t fun, then go back to your g-box and play fps games.
2. Controlling Zelda inside the giant knight.
3. Escaping those horrifying devil trains.
4. Driving a train under water.
5. The pleasure of catching those pesky rabbits.
6. Driving the train with a passenger.
7. Playing the pan flute.

Thank you
10/10

Not everyone is entertained by such trivial, frivolous things. I personally felt ST was a step back from PH in many regards. The reliance on ostentatious gimmicks was a paramount design flaw leading to issues with, among other things, the progression of certain plot events and the way the story is intergrated with the gameplay. Furthermore, removing the exploration element essentially reduces the game to a dungeon crawler.

Catching bunnies really does nothing to remedy these more fundamental problems.

Plot events in a Zelda game? Story?

Zelda games is heavily based on gameplay.

Phantom Hourglass`s exploration on the sea with a chartered map is no exploration at all.

Don`t you see that this game IS a step forward from other Zelda games. A small one, but at least it is.

But in the end it`s all a matter of taste people says. Yes, but even if you like driving trains or listening to classic music or heavy metal all can

be perfected.

Yes, Zelda does have plot scenes. Playing the flute was something I did not enjoy in PT, for example. The fact that these scenes are so perturbative is an issue with the game's design and plotting.

I was not aware I applauded the way PH handled it's exploration.

What makes this game a step forward? Trains and bunnies and gimmicks and minigames. I did not say ST was without merits, but I don't think it furthers the series as a whole in any significant way.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
Roar_Of_War said:

Except that not everyone thinks what you call "gimmicks" are so horrible. Not everyone agrees with YOU either. Not to mention Phantom Hourglass is the most hated title in the series with the fans. Spirit Tracks is a vast improvement for many, including myself. 8.5/10

I don't think speaking for a whole fanbase is really kosher either

I guess I'll just send them a post card and have them meet us here.

Go look it up. You can see for yourself I'm clearly repeating spoken words. I know what you're trying to say, and to some extent I agree - but I know what reality is. I'll re-word it then:

Google all over for Phantom Hourglass, Helios. Tell me what you find in the majority, and do the same for Spirit Tracks. Then please compare.

well, i can't comment on ST, but i feel happi that we feel the same way about PH being so much better than twilight princess :)

Roar_Of_War said:

@Helios: Except that not everyone thinks what you call "gimmicks" are so horrible. Not everyone agrees with YOU either. Not to mention Phantom Hourglass is the most hated title in the series with the fans. Spirit Tracks is a vast improvement for many, including myself. 8.5/10

PH 6/10. The boat offered absolutely no freedom outside of that empty sea with nothing to do in it, and at least Spirit Tracks has sidequests. Train is slower, but its no more a gimmick than a boat or a steam boat is. We're just speaking in the future compared to the time when Link riding a boat in Wind Waker was hated to the core, until people learned to accept it. Flute is also very, very easy to perform well with for at least as many people as the ones who have trouble with it, and if its a gimmick its a damn nice one. Aside from that, what else is a gimmick? Train Tracks? They don't offer less freedom than PH, I'll tell you that buddy. Everything else with ST is also better than PH in, so you no longer have a valid argument in my eyes.

and yes, people ARE unjustly hating on this game. Savior stated he had never played 4 swords and SPIRIT TRACKS, when earlier he stated that Spirit Tracks was dumbed down for casuals when he hasn't even played it yet.

Well done, you just pointed out some of the well-known issues people had with PH. Now tell me, did I mention how much I loved the ship in PH? No. I thought that was a weak point of the game.

What I loved about PH was how well it's different elements were intergrated. The story and gameplay came together better than in any other Zelda, and the game had a great sense of pacing. The Ocean King's temple had a wonderfully dynamic design, in this regard.

My issues with ST were mostly with what I consider to be some of the worst design desisions in the history of the series. These were born from the game's gimmicks - such as they may be - hence my issue with them. Further, many of the greatest elements of PH are no longer present, such as lack of dynamic progression in the Tower of Spirits. Hence, it replaced what I though was some of the most ingenious concepts of the series with poor design. A step backwards by any definition.

And please don't resort to using popular opinion to prove anything about personal judgements. It's just not valid as an argument.

Helios said:
Roar_Of_War said:

Well done, you just pointed out some of the well-known issues people had with PH. Now tell me, did I mention how much I loved the ship in PH? No. I thought that was a weak point of the game.

What I loved about PH was how well it's different elements were intergrated. The story and gameplay came together better than in any other Zelda, and the game had a great sense of pacing. The Ocean King's temple had a wonderfully dynamic design, in this regard.

My issues with ST were mostly with what I consider to be some of the worst design desisions in the history of the series. These were born from the game's gimmicks - such as they may be - hence my issue with them. Further, many of the greatest elements of PH are no longer present, such as lack of dynamic progression in the Tower of Spirits. Hence, it replaced what I though was some of the most ingenious concepts of the series with poor design. A step backwards by any definition.

And please don't resort to using popular opinion to prove anything about personal judgements. It's just not valid as an argument.

So, you actually think Ocean temple was a great temple while it is probably the weakest temple in any Zelda game.

Now, I`m finished here.

Citan said:
Helios said:
Roar_Of_War said:

So, you actually think Ocean temple was a great temple while it is probably the weakest temple in any Zelda game.

Now, I`m finished here.

Yes, because disdainful ad-hominem attacks are sure to win your arguments...