By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do most third party publishers ignore the Wii completely ?

Because most assume that Wii owners aren't interested and rightly so. The wii competes on new values that don't mesh well with the other consoles. Shoe horning it in doesn't really work

Nintendo made the Wii to compete with disinterest in videogames. Most Publishers and developers don't understand how to reach an audience that doesn't already play videogames.

Wii is also underpowered for multiplatform development.

You need to ask is why don't developers make appealing games for the Wii audience instead of why don't we get games that will be gimped and no one is interested in on the Wii.

Around the Network
bdbdbd said:
@Barozi: How i've understood it, 2010 is the "updated" 2009.

@MrFenix: Indeed. I pointed it out in the same post you quoted. But that would be better multiplatform model.

No. You said that one sold wii game would be one sold hd game less. That is not what I meant. A game developed for wii first would not sell as much on hd consoles because the game would be hindered by wii's capabilities as it would developed with 360/PS3 as leading platform.

Simulacrum said:
Gintoki said:
Simulacrum said:
Bah..This have been talked so much.

1:Just think how long games like Mgs 4 were developed and after that they got hang on Ps3 and then they should think how to make it ok with Wii controls and graphics...
2:Some games need power to be good.

3:Wii controls are bad for fighting games like Tekken or SF4 or Devil May Cry.

4:Many of those games developers have been doing same stuff from Ps1>pS2>ps3 with just graphical and gameplay changes.They would need to start from beginning if they would try put sequels of past generation to Wii and that would piss of many of their fans.
5:Wii doesn't have such audience for sequels of Ps2 series or certain type games.

Since when you're forced to play with wiimote and nunchuk?I use my GC or Classic Controllers to play SSBB,Tatsunoko...

That's great period.

So the problem is not that controls are bad but that most third parties don't know what to do first when they think about how could be their games on Wii.

Wiis whole idea was its unique controls?Thats why I always wonder why would someone buy GC or Classic Controllers.

Why?lol!

First of all because this someone may own a GC.Then I wonder how you manage to play VC games With motion controls.

nitekrawler1285 said:
Because most assume that Wii owners aren't interested and rightly so. The wii competes on new values that don't mesh well with the other consoles. Shoe horning it in doesn't really work

Nintendo made the Wii to compete with disinterest in videogames. Most Publishers and developers don't understand how to reach an audience that doesn't already play videogames.

You need to ask is why don't developers make appealing games for the Wii audience instead of why don't we get games that will be gimped and no one is interested in on the Wii.

The only problem with that line of thinking is the assumption the Wii doesn't have enough gamers that would buy those games. No More Heroes is not an expanded audience game. It's also Suda 51's bestselling game, and is getting a sequel. If there wasn't an audience for those games, it would not have sold that well.

And that's just a niche example. Call of Duty games get almost no marketing on the Wii, and are still selling great.

So there is an audience for those games. Developers just refuse to see that and throw games that are gimped by choice, not by tech (Dead Space Extraction).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

MetalGearSolid_4ever said:
demonfox13 said:
Because the fans eat anything Miyamoto pretty much and nearly ignore everything else. They don't care for Batman: AA. Besides, just release some ok games throughout the year, show 1 concept art of Link posing at an E3 and you have them sold. Oh same works using Mario btw :p.

Batman would do pretty well on wii imo.

i reckon that new batman game should be on every system not just 2, i mean its batman, everyone loves batman at any age...

Around the Network
bdbdbd said:
@Barozi: How i've understood it, 2010 is the "updated" 2009.

Well F1 2009 was developed by Sumo Digital and F1 2010 is developed internally by Codemasters themselves, so I personally expect a difference in quality.

In the end is every new sports game just an updated version isn't it ?

adam84 said:
will be interesting to see if F1 2009 (wii) sells better than F1 2010 (PS3) im pretty sure it might. The only games i would love to see on the wii are left 4 dead (but will have to see how the grinder turns out like) GTA would be nice but i can see why they havent because it would be a risk, and MW2 (after buying reflex in sure this could be possible). After those titles im happy with what is already out for the wii.

Quite possible since a bunch of the sales came from the UK.

cuz third party games on wii barely sell :P

Shattered memories is tracking above homecoming, quality and appeal is the issue, and many third parties want to head under a pile of jackets and hope it will all turn out for the best, ignore all the red ink we've been seeing and just hand junk to the wii, use the poor sales to justify only making bad games, then ignore any evidence to the contrary

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

because those games don't sell on wii

LordTheNightKnight said:
nitekrawler1285 said:

The only problem with that line of thinking is the assumption the Wii doesn't have enough gamers that would buy those games. No More Heroes is not an expanded audience game. It's also Suda 51's bestselling game, and is getting a sequel. If there wasn't an audience for those games, it would not have sold that well.

And that's just a niche example. Call of Duty games get almost no marketing on the Wii, and are still selling great.

So there is an audience for those games. Developers just refuse to see that and throw games that are gimped by choice, not by tech (Dead Space Extraction).

While the sales of NMH might work for smaller studios those kinds of sales aren't going to cut it for larger dev houses that are looking for larger ROI.  

CoD has a lot of brand recognition. Beyond that most devs don't want the wii sell great over time chart. They want the MW2 on PS3/360 first week kinda chart.  

If that is considered an audience then most developers are going to close down because they wont have enough profit.

The probem is that most devs wants their title to light up the charts. Wii titles have never done this with very little exception(Nintendo titles EA active)  

Beyond that I believe that any appealing game made for the Wii would sell far more than the meh port of multiplatform games that ppl seem to want.  Hell other than RE:4 and COD how many niche games have we seen breach 1 million on Wii?