By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do most third party publishers ignore the Wii completely ?

Simulacrum said:

Wiis whole idea was its unique controls?Thats why I always wonder why would someone buy GC or Classic Controllers.

...to play classic and gamecube games. I know, it's crazy.

Also, to answer this question: Nintendo is the only developer talented enough to make games worth buying for the system.  Let's face it--Nintendo, Valve, and Blizzard are the best developers in the world, and after those 3 there's a HUUUUUUUUUGE dropoff. 

I'm talking

Socrates - Nintendo

Plato - Blizzard

Aristotle - Valve

(God - Carmack)

Crazy Louis who shits his pants and sings "I'm a little teapot" in the 7-11 parking lot - Everyone else

So think about it: there you are, pants shitting crazy, singing your head off. Do you try for a new song, or do you keep singing "I'm a little teapot" only this time in HI DEF sound? Well if you're an untalented piece of shit you keep showing em that handle and spout.

Around the Network

Because MS and Sony NEEDS them more and help them, while Nintendo does not carter to them at all.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
jammy2211 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"Simply not possible - if it were, then why wouldn't anyone have done it yet?"

That is not how human nature works. People quite often resist doing perfectly possible things.

Companies do whatever they think will make money, if they could put all their already mulitiplatform games on the Wii, they would, as it'd make them more money. It's not possible though, the only way to make that scale of downgrade is to get an entirely different team to try develope the same product, which will ultimately pale in comparison to HD platforms on a technical level, and be a completely different game all said and done. 

Why else is RE5 not on the Wii yet, but RE4 was ported within 6 months of it's launch? Because it's not possible.

I guess you know more about it than capcom:

http://www.giantbomb.com/wii/60-36/capcom-re5-was-possible-on-wii-we-were-wrong/35-271520/

Smash Bros: 2363-5325-6342 

psrock said:
Because MS and Sony NEEDS them more and help them, while Nintendo does not carter to them at all.

They do, if developers are willing to work with them. Nintendo is going to help market Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter to the west. Note Sony did the same for Final Fantasy VII.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
psrock said:

They do, if developers are willing to work with them. Nintendo is going to help market Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter to the west. Note Sony did the same for Final Fantasy VII.

MS and Sony reach out to them, they don't wait for them. Like I said, the HD  systems depends on third party support, while Nintendo doesnt.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
psrock said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
psrock said:

MS and Sony reach out to them, they don't wait for them. Like I said, the HD  systems depends on third party support, while Nintendo doesnt.

Reggie said he's reached out, and gotten excuses (he didn't call them that, but the comments he mentioned sure seem like them).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

1. I didn't miss the point. That niche game sells well on a system with not many great titles around that time gee. Real amazing. Maybe people didn't buy those games on the PS2 GC because they had plenty of other good games. Look at Resistance. you can't tell me being one of the only games out of quality had nothing to do with it.

2. Every game sells better with advertising. I understand that. Even with advertising do they expect it to reach CoD PS3 levels...?

3. They can make a lot of money by restructuring their current business model. How many devs do you expect to?

4. It's not just money had it's extra money without much extra effort. Tailoring all this poo to the system that doesn't seem to have a large enough audience in those games seems like a quick way to loose money(and a lot of effort) especially if they haven't changed their business model.

5. Nice to see we agree on something.

My main point is that in order to sell well on the Wii that 3rd parties have to change just about everything. From marketing, to graphics, to concept. They will not do this. Their trends have been set. This is why Wii doesn't get a lot of major 3rd party multiplatform titles. Unless you expect every 3rd party to just become Nintendo its not gonna happen.

So i suppose i might edit my previous post as such:
To subscribe to their standard business model the Wii doesn't have enough people interested in the types of games they produce to make it their focus.

It seems that the best sellers often aren't even what they happen to produce.

It costs a lot of money to rebuild a game you are already building but not as good and generally not selling as well.

We are still asking the wrong questions about multiplatform games on the Wii.  It should be why doesn't enough great ingenious ideas come out of this box that is supposed to revolutionize how we play.  The Wii is supposed to be different. It seems like you wii owners here just want stuff that there are other platforms that provide just fine.

LordTheNightKnight said:
"So you think Capcom, a company who have ALREADY ported RE4, RE3, RE2 and a few other RE games to the Wii, are sitting on the 5.5 million seller RE5, but haven't ported it to the Wii because er, sometimes companies do things that won't make them money?"

But they are backing down from that stance. Before, it wasn't handling the title screen, now it's just that it would be hard to do. So your claim of it not being possible isn't even backed up by them.

Also the fact that they changed their stance means either they were deliberately holding out on the Wii, or were just being dumb (since they clearly had people working on the Wii to know what it could do).

"It is possible to go down the Dead Rising route and 'remake' the game from the ground up (Or using the RE4 engine lol), but we all saw what happened there."

No, because you think RE5 is comparable to Dead Rising by the context of this comment.

"Your current suggestion is that every single gaming company in the world could put their already multiplatform games on the Wii, but don't,"

Note you wrote "could". You are claiming none can. I've seen 6th gen and 7th gen games, and I know I'm at least closer to correct than you are.

They've not backed down on that stance, because RE5 still isn't announced on the Wii :/. I don't believe Capcom have said a RE5 port is possible, just that it would be possible to put RE5 on Wii in some form (Which I have never said wasn't possible, just that a port isn't possible). 

Dead Rising was just my analogy to what has happened when a company has tried to go down the non-port route.

I think my claim, that it's not possible for a company to port a HD-developed game on to the Wii, is a lot more realistic then yours, that they could do it but don't for some unknown reason like 'companies are stupid'. I'm assuming neither of us have the technical know how to explain whether it is or isn't possible, but a quick google search can link me to a ton of interviews backing up my claims, whereas yours just seems nonsensual.

I used the words put and port a bit too interchangeably I think :/.

cAPSLOCK said:
Simulacrum said:

Wiis whole idea was its unique controls?Thats why I always wonder why would someone buy GC or Classic Controllers.

...to play classic and gamecube games. I know, it's crazy.

Also, to answer this question: Nintendo is the only developer talented enough to make games worth buying for the system.  Let's face it--Nintendo, Valve, and Blizzard are the best developers in the world, and after those 3 there's a HUUUUUUUUUGE dropoff.

I'm talking

Socrates - Nintendo

Plato - Blizzard

Aristotle - Valve

(God - Carmack)

Crazy Louis who shits his pants and sings "I'm a little teapot" in the 7-11 parking lot - Everyone else

So think about it: there you are, pants shitting crazy, singing your head off. Do you try for a new song, or do you keep singing "I'm a little teapot" only this time in HI DEF sound? Well if you're an untalented piece of shit you keep showing em that handle and spout.

Oh man. Thanks for sharing your personal opinion about this!

Nick said:
jammy2211 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"Simply not possible - if it were, then why wouldn't anyone have done it yet?"

That is not how human nature works. People quite often resist doing perfectly possible things.

Companies do whatever they think will make money, if they could put all their already mulitiplatform games on the Wii, they would, as it'd make them more money. It's not possible though, the only way to make that scale of downgrade is to get an entirely different team to try develope the same product, which will ultimately pale in comparison to HD platforms on a technical level, and be a completely different game all said and done. 

Why else is RE5 not on the Wii yet, but RE4 was ported within 6 months of it's launch? Because it's not possible.

I guess you know more about it than capcom:

http://www.giantbomb.com/wii/60-36/capcom-re5-was-possible-on-wii-we-were-wrong/35-271520/

I only really see that as a bit of marketing spin, but either way, it doesn't say that porting RE5 to Wii is possible, which was my entire point. Albeit, I think I said 'put' instead of port by accident at some point, no doubt adding to confusion.