By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do most third party publishers ignore the Wii completely ?

LordTheNightKnight said:
"Simply not possible - if it were, then why wouldn't anyone have done it yet?"

That is not how human nature works. People quite often resist doing perfectly possible things.

Companies do whatever they think will make money, if they could put all their already mulitiplatform games on the Wii, they would, as it'd make them more money. It's not possible though, the only way to make that scale of downgrade is to get an entirely different team to try develope the same product, which will ultimately pale in comparison to HD platforms on a technical level, and be a completely different game all said and done. 

Why else is RE5 not on the Wii yet, but RE4 was ported within 6 months of it's launch? Because it's not possible.

Around the Network
demonfox13 said:
MetalGearSolid_4ever said:
demonfox13 said:
Because the fans eat anything Miyamoto pretty much and nearly ignore everything else. They don't care for Batman: AA. Besides, just release some ok games throughout the year, show 1 concept art of Link posing at an E3 and you have them sold. Oh same works using Mario btw :p.

Batman would do pretty well on wii imo.

At BEST it would do as good as NMH which was a little less than 500k if that. Just give them some more Lego Batman with some waggle functions and they'll eat it up though so you're partially right :p.

There is no way that a GOOD batman game would do only as much as NMH. Any established franchise on Wii (not rail shooters and the like). Have performed admirably on the wii. CoD WAW... CoD Reflex... MH3 did very well. These are established franchises and they did well and will do more than 1 million units. Star Wars the Force Unleashed which was much worst than its PS360 counterparts did just as well as the PS3 version, it had barely any of the frills on it compared to the HD iteration.

"While the sales of NMH might work for smaller studios those kinds of sales aren't going to cut it for larger dev houses that are looking for larger ROI."

You missed the point. It was that a niche game, that even most traditional gamers skip, sold BETTER on the Wii than that kind of game has sold on the systems more focused on those kinds of gamers (Gamecube and PS2).

"CoD has a lot of brand recognition. Beyond that most devs don't want the wii sell great over time chart. They want the MW2 on PS3/360 first week kinda chart."

Again, missed the point. Those games had almost no marketing, so sold slower because of that. With actual marketing, games with such brand recognition would sell even better.

"If that is considered an audience then most developers are going to close down because they wont have enough profit."

No, you're misreading what I meant by the audience. They can make plenty of money, and those are signs of this.

"The probem is that most devs wants their title to light up the charts. Wii titles have never done this with very little exception(Nintendo titles EA active)"

That is a myth, not only that few Wii games do that, but that it's more common with HD games (the unwritten implication here). It's mainly hits with any system that lights up the charts, and by depending on the HD systems, when only the hits sell enough to make a profit, they are going to close down because they won't have enough profit. You claim that will happen by developing for the Wii, when reports are developers are losing money for the other thing. You really should do your research.

"Beyond that I believe that any appealing game made for the Wii would sell far more than the meh port of multiplatform games that ppl seem to want."

That I agree.

"Hell other than RE:4 and COD how many niche games have we seen breach 1 million on Wii?"

Monster Hunter 3 almost did that, and even a minor release outside Japan would push it over the top.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

jammy2211 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

That is not how human nature works. People quite often resist doing perfectly possible things.

Companies do whatever they think will make money, if they could put all their already mulitiplatform games on the Wii, they would, as it'd make them more money. It's not possible though, the only way to make that scale of downgrade is to get an entirely different team to try develope the same product, which will ultimately pale in comparison to HD platforms on a technical level, and be a completely different game all said and done. 

Why else is RE5 not on the Wii yet, but RE4 was ported within 6 months of it's launch? Because it's not possible.

Bullshit. RE5 is a prettier RE4. That sure as hell is possible. That isn't me saying that. It's just about everyone who played it (save for the staunchest Wii haters).

And your reasoning is false because it assumes people would of course do things that make money if they can be done. You really haven't paid attention to business history, or even some gaming companies.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Monster Hunter is a nishe game in JApan 0_o?

Around the Network

"Monster Hunter is a nishe game in JApan 0_o?"

Did you pay attention to the comment I replied to? Did you see what else that user called niche games?

LordTheNightKnight said:
jammy2211 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Bullshit. RE5 is a prettier RE4. That sure as hell is possible. That isn't me saying that. It's just about everyone who played it (save for the staunchest Wii haters).

And your reasoning is false because it assumes people would of course do things that make money if they can be done. You really haven't paid attention to business history, or even some gaming companies.

So you think Capcom, a company who have ALREADY ported RE4, RE3, RE2 and a few other RE games to the Wii, are sitting on the 5.5 million seller RE5, but haven't ported it to the Wii because er, sometimes companies do things that won't make them money? There's no logic there, it's technically impossible to port a game from the HD platforms down to the Wii.

It is possible to go down the Dead Rising route and 'remake' the game from the ground up (Or using the RE4 engine lol), but we all saw what happened there. There'll always be that backlash from fans that things were cut from the game, it's a lose-lose situation. 

Your current suggestion is that every single gaming company in the world could put their already multiplatform games on the Wii, but don't, because sometimes people don't do things that can make money (even though alot of these companies are worth billions of dollars, because they er, made alot of money in their history). That's a pretty CrAzY suggestion.

LordTheNightKnight said:

Did you pay attention to the comment I replied to? Did you see what else that user called niche games?

I meant to edit it once I saw the COD and RE comparison lol. I dunno what that guy was on.

"So you think Capcom, a company who have ALREADY ported RE4, RE3, RE2 and a few other RE games to the Wii, are sitting on the 5.5 million seller RE5, but haven't ported it to the Wii because er, sometimes companies do things that won't make them money?"

But they are backing down from that stance. Before, it wasn't handling the title screen, now it's just that it would be hard to do. So your claim of it not being possible isn't even backed up by them.

Also the fact that they changed their stance means either they were deliberately holding out on the Wii, or were just being dumb (since they clearly had people working on the Wii to know what it could do).

"It is possible to go down the Dead Rising route and 'remake' the game from the ground up (Or using the RE4 engine lol), but we all saw what happened there."

No, because you think RE5 is comparable to Dead Rising by the context of this comment.

"Your current suggestion is that every single gaming company in the world could put their already multiplatform games on the Wii, but don't,"

Note you wrote "could". You are claiming none can. I've seen 6th gen and 7th gen games, and I know I'm at least closer to correct than you are.

jammy2211 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

I meant to edit it once I saw the COD and RE comparison lol. I dunno what that guy was on.

It could have been accidental (some typos can be entire words), or perhaps the writer did knew English as a second language. Or could have been half asleep.