By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do most third party publishers ignore the Wii completely ?

will be interesting to see if F1 2009 (wii) sells better than F1 2010 (PS3) im pretty sure it might. The only games i would love to see on the wii are left 4 dead (but will have to see how the grinder turns out like) GTA would be nice but i can see why they havent because it would be a risk, and MW2 (after buying reflex in sure this could be possible). After those titles im happy with what is already out for the wii.

Around the Network

@Demonfox13: Umm... What? First you're talking about how PS360 gets games that gets gamers busy for a while, when at the same time pointing out Wii games that have done the same.

You know, you can't say that "something delivers for casual market" at the same time you say "but it doesn't deliver for the core market". That is because casual market is one segment in the core market.

And, Wiis problems lately haven't been because of the lack of focus on the core market.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Simulacrum said:
Bah..This have been talked so much.

1:Just think how long games like Mgs 4 were developed and after that they got hang on Ps3 and then they should think how to make it ok with Wii controls and graphics...
2:Some games need power to be good.

3:Wii controls are bad for fighting games like Tekken or SF4 or Devil May Cry.

4:Many of those games developers have been doing same stuff from Ps1>pS2>ps3 with just graphical and gameplay changes.They would need to start from beginning if they would try put sequels of past generation to Wii and that would piss of many of their fans.
5:Wii doesn't have such audience for sequels of Ps2 series or certain type games.

Since when you're forced to play with wiimote and nunchuk?I use my GC or Classic Controllers to play SSBB,Tatsunoko...

That's great period.

So the problem is not that controls are bad but that most third parties don't know what to do first when they think about how could be their games on Wii.

It's because the PS3 and the 360 are so similar in power that it's practically like developing for one console, and getting the consumer base of two different consoles. The Wii, on the other hand, would take entirely different development strategies and teams, and a good amount of extra work (and it would likely be a completely different game). This is fine for licensed titles (Madden, movie based games, etc.), but for games like the ones you mentioned, many developers are only comfortable working with either the power of the HD consoles or the power of the Wii, not both.

"Simply not possible - if it were, then why wouldn't anyone have done it yet?"

That is not how human nature works. People quite often resist doing perfectly possible things.

"The reason could be that a game with wii as the leading platform would not sell as much on hd-consoles."

No basis, unless you can point me to such a game like that.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

"And it wouldn't cost a lot to downgrade the graphics to put it on Wii would it ?"

It would cost money, but at the Wii level, not at the HD level.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

@Barozi: How i've understood it, 2010 is the "updated" 2009.

@MrFenix: Indeed. I pointed it out in the same post you quoted. But that would be better multiplatform model.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

LordTheNightKnight said:
"Simply not possible - if it were, then why wouldn't anyone have done it yet?"

That is not how human nature works. People quite often resist doing perfectly possible things.

"The reason could be that a game with wii as the leading platform would not sell as much on hd-consoles."

No basis, unless you can point me to such a game like that.

I know you want to be Nintendo's mascot and defend all things Wii, but the first person you quoted is actually right. You would figure if it were simple while costing them less, they would port over a high selling game quite easily, but that's not the case. You honestly believe that devs are going to miss out on the opportunity to miss out on money just because? SE realized the potential in releasing FFXIII for 360 and PS3 because for both consoles it can remain similar while not losing out on quality (at least not noticeably). To make something for the Wii it would have to be done from the ground up, unless you turn around and release something like Disgaea 3 for PS3 and Wii. Look at Modern Warfare Reflex. It couldn't even hope to touch even the PS3 version of MW1. Point is that unless bound by contracts, no dev is going to take a chance on the Wii having to develop something from the ground up due to the graphical limitations and risk mediocre sales when they can just make something on the PS3 or 360 and port it to the other system with less work and still get good sales out of it.

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.

"You would figure if it were simple while costing them less, they would port over a high selling game quite easily, but that's not the case."

That person wrote "not possible", not "isn't simple".

How could you not know the difference?

"SE realized the potential in releasing FFXIII for 360 and PS3 because for both consoles it can remain similar while not losing out on quality (at least not noticeably)."

Flashy graphics don't give a game more quality. Good design does. That doesn't magically not work on the Wii.

What the Wii does is not compromise the quality. It prevents the layers of razzle dazzle that hides weak design.

For example, I dare say that was the real problem with Chop Till You Drop (a game I like). It wasn't the Wii. It was that the original game was flawed to begin with, and the linear game flow didn't fix that (but the haters "somehow" forgot about those flaws because that would admit it was the developers' fault if a game didn't work, not the system). Contrast with Modern Warfare, which only lost DLC and local multiplayer, but was so well designed, it's still selling.

Gintoki said:
Simulacrum said:
Bah..This have been talked so much.

1:Just think how long games like Mgs 4 were developed and after that they got hang on Ps3 and then they should think how to make it ok with Wii controls and graphics...
2:Some games need power to be good.

3:Wii controls are bad for fighting games like Tekken or SF4 or Devil May Cry.

4:Many of those games developers have been doing same stuff from Ps1>pS2>ps3 with just graphical and gameplay changes.They would need to start from beginning if they would try put sequels of past generation to Wii and that would piss of many of their fans.
5:Wii doesn't have such audience for sequels of Ps2 series or certain type games.

Since when you're forced to play with wiimote and nunchuk?I use my GC or Classic Controllers to play SSBB,Tatsunoko...

That's great period.

So the problem is not that controls are bad but that most third parties don't know what to do first when they think about how could be their games on Wii.

Wiis whole idea was its unique controls?Thats why I always wonder why would someone buy GC or Classic Controllers.

Take my love, take my land..