By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the Wii pass the GCN in # of AAA titles?

Will the Wii pass the GCN in # of AAA titles?

Yes 97 50.52%

No 95 49.48%

Total:192
Khuutra said:
Carl2291 said:
elmerion said:
Galaxy doesnt have online, it doesnt even have multiplayer and its considered one of the best games this generation!! if it had multiplayer it would have a lower score for not having online

NSMBW is not innovative? i must understand Call of Duty 6 is more innovating than NSMBW? that bs Call of Duty games have been more of the same since ever, there´s not much of a difference between MF and the WW series, whoever thinks there isn´t a difference between SMB,SMB2,SMB3,SMW and NSMBW is insane or on drugs

I take it that's aimed at me.

MW2 isn't really that innovative at all, but it also had a lot more going for it than NSMB. Making it worthy of a whole bunch of 90+ scores. Online, for example... Is a big part of any multiplayer games now. It also had a storyline... And was the most hyped up game... Ever.

As for NSMB Wii, it boasted to be the first Multiplayer 2D Console Mario ever. A big, big emphasis on Multiplayer. And whether you like it or not, Online multiplayer is now a big thing that gamers want. It's in MKWii, SSBB... And not having it hurt NSMB's review scores quite a lot...

Now can you explain to me how it is innovative, please? I'd like to know how.

I'd argue that it's probably not

But I'd also argue that that doesn't matter

When it comes to reviews, innovation can and does matter.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
Khuutra said:

It really, really doesn't

Can you go ahead and name the highest-ratd games for each platform? I think they're GTAIV, Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Halo 3? ...Maybe Bioshock? I know I'm forgetting some

killeryoshis said:
killeryoshis said:
-ku- said:
Omega_Phazon_Pirate. said:
I consider NSMBW an AAA title yet it just lacks below 90 because of some sour whiny reviewers.

Honestly the game doesnt even feel better then ratchet and clank its too conservative nothing new.

How come all other sequel that add so little to the genre get lower scores than their predescessors but god forbid the Leading Franchise on the Nintendo systems not be an exception

@green
Too consturtive,Nouthing new? Nouthing new?!? Are you telling me that NSMBW got low scores for doing nouthing new?
%$#&$^$! Tell me at all of the GC titles which actually do new things? What other sequals do new things tell us

New Super Mario Bros Wii was a very VERY good game.  But unlike the Mario games that came before it, even New Super Mario Bros on the DS, it didn't really do that much new.  The powers were basically rehashed, the levels were all remixed, the concept and even the basic game premise was about 'nostalgia'.  None of that is bad.  Heck, the game is going to sell 15 million BECAUSE of this.  But compared to something like Mario 3, Mario World or heck, Mario Galaxy, it didn't do that much 'new' stuff.  The only new things are probably the co-op mode, the few added technical aspects (like the levels of light in some levels and added control of Mario) and the Penguin Suit.

And really now, New Super Mario Bros Wii got plenty of good scores.  Much higher than other games on the Wii.  And there's plenty of other games on the GameCube that did original things.  Metroid Prime, Animal Crossing, Pikmin, Resident Evil 4, Mario Sunshine, Mario RPG: Thousand-Year Door, Wind Waker, Smash Bros Melee, etc...

Well actually. NSMB DS to didn't do much new. It felt like it was their first platformer really. I wouldn't say NSMBW brought nouthing new to the table. Some level designs are new to the sereis. And for th GC titles that did new things. Mario 1,000 year old door is the only one that did nouthing new. Go play Paper Mario on the N64

It can be based on your opinion of whether New Super Mario Bros for DS did new stuff.  But in my opinion, with some good new (balanced) level design, the two new powers (that were focused on the new levels) and the new interface, it stands alone as a whole new title.  Even with its obvious retro focus.

New Super Mario Bros Wii however feels more like 'New Super Mario Bros plus'.  Aka, they took the model of the DS title, added two new powers (penguin suit/spinning mushroom) and some new levels and called it a whole new game.  Now, that may sound harsh, but look back.  Aside from getting one coin, can you really say you even needed to use the tiny mushroom in the WHOLE game for NSMBWii?  You could get by the whole game just using either the Spinning mushroom or the Penguin Suit.  And seriously, the majority of the levels, while visually different, boiled down to the same 5 basic designs with little variation.  Even many of the same enemies and traps were overused.  The only real unique levels were the hidden levels and World 9.

As for Paper Mario: Thousand-Year Door, yes, it wasn't as unique as its predecessor.  But it still was a unique game that brought new concepts to both the Mario franchise and the Mario RPG series.  And yes, I have played both (Paper Mario 64 being one of my 5 favorite Mario games).

Khuutra said:
Carl2291 said:
Khuutra said:

Can you go ahead and name the highest-ratd games for each platform? I think they're GTAIV, Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Halo 3? ...Maybe Bioshock? I know I'm forgetting some

I would argue that Innovation does matter...but only for Wii and DS titles.

Reviewers don't bring it up for any of the other systems.  But when they go to review a Wii or DS game, they have this extra measure they throw out.  Taking every game and placing it next to the most 'innovative' games on those systems.  Then they downscore the game if it either didn't 'innovate enough' or 'innovated too much'.  Usually tied to the controls or graphics.

If this wasn't bad enough, even if a game passes THAT test, then they take that game and stack it up next to games on the 'HD" systems (even DS games).  So its all just a big popularity contest and pointless.  Reviewers this gen have picked what they think is the best and any game that comes out this gen on the Wii or DS is automatically not going to stack up.  Unless it somehow magically produces graphics and gameplay indentical to GTAIV or MGSIV.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Khuutra said:
Carl2291 said:
Khuutra said:

Did i say it counts the most? No. I said it counts. You cannot really argue that.

But hey, Heres a quote from one of the SMG Reviews - "Innovative level design, original gameplay, the best graphics and soundtrack on Wii to date, and the return to form of the first true superstar of videogames" (TVG)

GTA4 - "But perhaps the biggest innovation is the notion that you can create a game that's as valid a piece of art as any book or movie." (Team Xbox)

Should i carry on finding reviews where reviewers talk about innovation?

Carl2291 said:
Khuutra said:

Did i say it counts the most? No. I said it counts. You cannot really argue that.

But hey, Heres a quote from one of the SMG Reviews - "Innovative level design, original gameplay, the best graphics and soundtrack on Wii to date, and the return to form of the first true superstar of videogames" (TVG)

GTA4 - "But perhaps the biggest innovation is the notion that you can create a game that's as valid a piece of art as any book or movie." (Team Xbox)

I can, though. I'm doing it right now.

One can argue that Mario Galaxy has innovative level design, and to a degree that's true, but it as since been pointed as as still being samey - just Sunshine on globes without FLUDD, etc.

And that isn't actually an innovation on GTAIV's part.

My point is that the majority - the vast majority - of 90+ games on metacritic, for all platforms, are rehashes and sequels. We'll take the PS3 as an example:

1 Grand Theft Auto IV 2008 98
2 Uncharted 2: Among Thieves 2009 96
3 LittleBigPlanet 2008 95
4 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 2009 94
5 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 2007 94
6 BioShock 2008 94
7 Braid 2009 94
8 Street Fighter IV 2009 94
9 Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots 2008 94
10 Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, The 2007 93
11 God of War Collection 2009 92
12 Rock Band 2007 92
13 Assassin's Creed II 2009 92
14 FIFA Soccer 10 2009 91
15 Killzone 2 2009 91
16 Rock Band 2 2008 91
17 Bayonetta 2010 91
18 Batman: Arkham Asylum 2009 91
19 Fallout 3 2008 90
20 MLB 09: The Show 2009 90

Now let's see here. From this list of 20, we have 12 sequels, some rehashes, recollections.... the only really original, innovative titles on the whole list are LittleBigPlanet and Braid, and one of those is a port and both of them are platformers. You could make an argument for Arkham Asylum though, I suppose.

The 360 and Wii's lists look much the same.

Innovation is nont one of the primary factors in review scores here, and a lack thereof is not what accounts for New Super Mario Bros. Wii's review scores. Easier to say that reviewers just didn't like it as much as the average Wii owner. That's been the case with plenty of games before.

Around the Network

I think you guys are arguing the same thing, but on different sides. Reviewers are bias against reviews but for different reasons. On the HD consoles, they favor sequels and 'going with the crowd'. On the Wii (and to a lesser extent DS), they buck the trend and downscore games they think do too much of 'the same thing'.

In other words, they're hypocrites when it comes to reviewing HD games and give them high scores but when a Wii game, sequel or otherwise, does the same thing, they chastise it and try to prove a point.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Khuutra said:
Carl2291 said:
Khuutra said:

I can, though. I'm doing it right now.

One can argue that Mario Galaxy has innovative level design, and to a degree that's true, but it as since been pointed as as still being samey - just Sunshine on globes without FLUDD, etc.

And that isn't actually an innovation on GTAIV's part.

My point is that the majority - the vast majority - of 90+ games on metacritic, for all platforms, are rehashes and sequels. We'll take the PS3 as an example:

*Big list here*

Now let's see here. From this list of 20, we have 12 sequels, some rehashes, recollections.... the only really original, innovative titles on the whole list are LittleBigPlanet and Braid, and one of those is a port and both of them are platformers. You could make an argument for Arkham Asylum though, I suppose.

The 360 and Wii's lists look much the same.

Innovation is nont one of the primary factors in review scores here, and a lack thereof is not what accounts for New Super Mario Bros. Wii's review scores. Easier to say that reviewers just didn't like it as much as the average Wii owner. That's been the case with plenty of games before.

Then we obviously just disagree on it.

I gave examples where reviewers talk about innovation in games. Proving that it can count. I can find multiple other examples too where innovation (Or lack of it) is talked about... While i agree it isn't one of the primary things (Presentation, gameplay, graphics and replayability IMO) it is still there and it does help in reviews.

Carl2291 said:

I gave examples where reviewers talk about innovation in games. Proving that it can count. I can find multiple other examples too where innovation (Or lack of it) is talked about... While i agree it isn't one of the primary things (Presentation, gameplay, graphics and replayability IMO) it is still there and it does help in reviews.

It's also conspicuously absent in several of the highest-rated games on all systems. Look at Twilight Princess. Or Halo 3. Or MGS4, God help us all.

Isn't it reasonable to say that reviewers just don't like it as much as the average Wii owner?

Khuutra said:
Carl2291 said:

It's also conspicuously absent in several of the highest-rated games on all systems. Look at Twilight Princess. Or Halo 3. Or MGS4, God help us all.

Isn't it reasonable to say that reviewers just don't like it as much as the average Wii owner?

Red - Definately seems that way.

Carl2291 said:
Khuutra said:

Red - Definately seems that way.

Then that's all there is! Everything past that, every attributed reason, from bias to innovation to whatever, is pure speculation unless the reviewers try to come up with an explanation as to why their tastes do not match those of their theoretical audience.