By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the Wii pass the GCN in # of AAA titles?

Will the Wii pass the GCN in # of AAA titles?

Yes 97 50.52%

No 95 49.48%

Total:192
cAPSLOCK said:
I doubt we'll see as many as we did for the cube.

It's not that there aren't good games on the Wii, it's that even if a game was absolutely perfect it would still lose 5-15 points or more just for being a Wii game. See: Tiger Woods 10, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, NSMBW.

Serious post?

Looking at metacritic, Tiger Woods 10 on Wii is at 88. PS3 version is at 81 and the 360 version is at 80.

Shattered Memories is a game that seems to be "love it or hate it". Obviously going to get a mix of good and bad reviews.

NSMB Wii has scored really well, despite having a lack of online and not innovating in any way. As for your 5-15 points off for a Wii game thing. Il show you metacritic again... User score is at 91, while review score is 87. Not too far off...

Around the Network
Sempuukyaku said:
Omega_Phazon_Pirate. said:
I consider NSMBW an AAA title yet it just lacks below 90 because of some sour whiny reviewers.

Bingo.

I'd argue that MOST Nintendo fans consider NSMBW a AAA title but because of "no online!?!?!?!" douchebag reviewers, it's not going to be reviewed on its own merits.  If I want a review of a game, I come here to vgchartz and get the opinions of the FANS.

Ok, here's a fast review from a fan of the Mario franchise as a whole since the mario bros. pipe game waaaay back in the days. I prefer SMB3 to NSMBW because there is nothing new about it outside of something that should have been there a loooong time ago to begin with and that's the co-op. There should have also been online co-op and it would have easily been possible. The Wii should have been able to handle mics by now for easier communication between players. probably add the ability to kick someone or vote out the uncooperative player. Outside of that NSMBW offers nothing much new at all even when compared to the DS version. Granted it does not take away the fact that the game is outright fun (as gameplay should be the deciding end all factor anyways). With that said, it could have been considerably better.

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.

the gamecube got so many 90+ because it was a graphical powerhouse. thats what gets you great reviews from the nerdy magazines and websites... not because it had better games.

I consider AAA to equate to a 90+ score on metacritic. I'm aware that some games fall short of 90 and yet you could argue that (some) of those games are worthy of AAA status. So, it's not perfect by any means but it does a good job of indicating the breadth of quality games on a particular system.

As for OP...no i don't think it will.

rastari said:
Can anyone here think of 17 titles likely too get 90+ on metacritic? I can think of 4 or 5 in the next year tbh.

Its been shown, even in this thread, that reviewers are bias against the Wii (and DS).  We'll probably only see 2-3 games next year that get above a 90 on Metacritic.  Games like Metroid: Other M, Mario Galaxy 2 and Monster Hunter Tri (and even that's pushing it).  If we're lucky, some other WiiWare title or random third party title will 'wow' reviewers (like World of Goo and Muramasa did).  But even then, we're not guaranteed a 90 or above.  Games on the Wii have to fight 5x harder just to impress reviewers.  And then they have to get over those bias like 'graphics' and 'innovation' to get the accurate score they deserve.

In any event, review scores shouldn't be a measure for quality of a Wii game anyway.  And that's what I think we should go back to calling 'AAA' games anyway.  'High Quality' games.

tube82 said:
the gamecube got so many 90+ because it was a graphical powerhouse. thats what gets you great reviews from the nerdy magazines and websites... not because it had better games.

Sadly, this is the truth.  If the GameCube had been like the Wii and focused on weaker graphics for cheaper production costs, the review sites probably would have been bashing it like they did the Wii this gen.  Near the middle and end of last generation, they already were.  But just not as blatantly and not for the reasons they are the Wii.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
Seece said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

killeryoshis said:
-ku- said:
Omega_Phazon_Pirate. said:
I consider NSMBW an AAA title yet it just lacks below 90 because of some sour whiny reviewers.

Honestly the game doesnt even feel better then ratchet and clank its too conservative nothing new.

How come all other sequel that add so little to the genre get lower scores than their predescessors but god forbid the Leading Franchise on the Nintendo systems not be an exception

@green
Too consturtive,Nouthing new? Nouthing new?!? Are you telling me that NSMBW got low scores for doing nouthing new?
%$#&$^$! Tell me at all of the GC titles which actually do new things? What other sequals do new things tell us

New Super Mario Bros Wii was a very VERY good game.  But unlike the Mario games that came before it, even New Super Mario Bros on the DS, it didn't really do that much new.  The powers were basically rehashed, the levels were all remixed, the concept and even the basic game premise was about 'nostalgia'.  None of that is bad.  Heck, the game is going to sell 15 million BECAUSE of this.  But compared to something like Mario 3, Mario World or heck, Mario Galaxy, it didn't do that much 'new' stuff.  The only new things are probably the co-op mode, the few added technical aspects (like the levels of light in some levels and added control of Mario) and the Penguin Suit.

And really now, New Super Mario Bros Wii got plenty of good scores.  Much higher than other games on the Wii.  And there's plenty of other games on the GameCube that did original things.  Metroid Prime, Animal Crossing, Pikmin, Resident Evil 4, Mario Sunshine, Mario RPG: Thousand-Year Door, Wind Waker, Smash Bros Melee, etc...

Well actually. NSMB DS to didn't do much new. It felt like it was their first platformer really. I wouldn't say NSMBW brought nouthing new to the table. Some level designs are new to the sereis. And for th GC titles that did new things. Mario 1,000 year old door is the only one that did nouthing new. Go play Paper Mario on the N64

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Khuutra said:
90+ on Metacritic isn't what determines AAA status.

I agree

Galaxy doesnt have online, it doesnt even have multiplayer and its considered one of the best games this generation!! if it had multiplayer it would have a lower score for not having online

NSMBW is not innovative? i must understand Call of Duty 6 is more innovating than NSMBW? that bs Call of Duty games have been more of the same since ever, there´s not much of a difference between MF and the WW series, whoever thinks there isn´t a difference between SMB,SMB2,SMB3,SMW and NSMBW is insane or on drugs

Nintendo is the best videogames company ever!

elmerion said:
Galaxy doesnt have online, it doesnt even have multiplayer and its considered one of the best games this generation!! if it had multiplayer it would have a lower score for not having online

NSMBW is not innovative? i must understand Call of Duty 6 is more innovating than NSMBW? that bs Call of Duty games have been more of the same since ever, there´s not much of a difference between MF and the WW series, whoever thinks there isn´t a difference between SMB,SMB2,SMB3,SMW and NSMBW is insane or on drugs

I take it that's aimed at me.

MW2 isn't really that innovative at all, but it also had a lot more going for it than NSMB. Making it worthy of a whole bunch of 90+ scores. Online, for example... Is a big part of any multiplayer games now. It also had a storyline... And was the most hyped up game... Ever.

As for NSMB Wii, it boasted to be the first Multiplayer 2D Console Mario ever. A big, big emphasis on Multiplayer. And whether you like it or not, Online multiplayer is now a big thing that gamers want. It's in MKWii, SSBB... And not having it hurt NSMB's review scores quite a lot...

Now can you explain to me how it is innovative, please? I'd like to know how.

Carl2291 said:
elmerion said:

I take it that's aimed at me.

MW2 isn't really that innovative at all, but it also had a lot more going for it than NSMB. Making it worthy of a whole bunch of 90+ scores. Online, for example... Is a big part of any multiplayer games now. It also had a storyline... And was the most hyped up game... Ever.

As for NSMB Wii, it boasted to be the first Multiplayer 2D Console Mario ever. A big, big emphasis on Multiplayer. And whether you like it or not, Online multiplayer is now a big thing that gamers want. It's in MKWii, SSBB... And not having it hurt NSMB's review scores quite a lot...

Now can you explain to me how it is innovative, please? I'd like to know how.

I'd argue that it's probably not

But I'd also argue that that doesn't matter