By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the Wii pass the GCN in # of AAA titles?

Will the Wii pass the GCN in # of AAA titles?

Yes 97 50.52%

No 95 49.48%

Total:192

Seece, have you played any Wii games? You said earlier you'd have to play a few Wii games to determine whether there's bias in reviews or not. I'm just wondering, does that mean you've barely played any Wii games, or you've never played any Wii games? And I'm not asking to go "OH SNAP IN YOUR FACE!" if you say you haven't played any.

And I'm not opposed to the idea of metacritic. My problem is THIS:

We are at a transitional period in the history of video games. All of a sudden, out of thin air, a bunch of crazy new stuff happened. Everything changed except for the critics. The critics aren't really ready to criticize all this new stuff, and many of them are just picking teams, and deciding to hate the new and love the old. This happens with every drastic change in technology or style in every art medium. (Many film critics and even filmmakers actually HATED the addition of sound to films, if you can believe that. It completely changed the way people acted and directed and edited. No longer would a close-up of a subtle facial expression show you how somebody felt! They'd just tell you how they felt with some stupid words!)

So after all the dust settles, the Wii is going to be the most successful video game system of all time, with the most million sellers (and 10 million sellers and 15 million sellers, holy hell), and yet the most critically-hated game library of all time. People on the internet will go "see, I told you the Wii sucked, it has the least 90+ games!" but they will only be referring to the averages of review scores of people who had NO critical backgrounds, and who threw their professionalism aside to bash the new things they didn't like.

TL;DR version:

How often does your favorite movie of any given year win the Academy Award for Best Picture? If your favorite movie doesn't win, do you change your opinion to match those of the critics because their opinion is somehow more important than yours?

Around the Network

Rubang would you like to hear the story about some initial critical reactions to post-Hemingway minimalism?

I bet you know how it goes already

Khuutra said:

Rubang would you like to hear the story about some initial critical reactions to post-Hemingway minimalism?

Yes!

Literature is my main weakness, especially literature history.  I need to read more books, but I spend all my reading time reading about movies, games, and music.

And I only read a little Hemingway in school, but I looooved it.  I guess I'm just a sucker for minimalism in any medium now that I think about it.  Or maybe I'm just a sucker for post-WW1 art.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
Khuutra said:

Yes!

Literature is my main weakness, especially literature history.  I need to read more books, but I spend all my reading time reading about movies, games, and music.

And I only read a little Hemingway in school, but I looooved it.  I guess I'm just a sucker for minimalism in any medium now that I think about it.  Or maybe I'm just a sucker for post-WW1 art.

Well, when I said you basically knew how it went already, I wasn't kidding.

For a long time there were critics (are critics) - and by critics I mean reviewers, of course, not the people who sit around and argue about meaning, though they're also critics - who hel that the Victorian froo-froo flowery language was the best way of things, and that minimalism and suggestion were the last resort of cavemen who couldn't hold pens long enough to get down and dirty with Dickens.

Fewer people said this about Hemingway himself because he was one of the true geniuses, but he had a lot of detractors at the time too

Dunno, I have been less than impressed with the Wii titles. As I've stated in other threads RE 4 on Wii remains one of the best gaming experiences to me. That doesn't change the fact that most titles I have not been fond of nor impressed. NSMBW still doesn't dethrone my favorite Mario to date which is SMB3(got it for my birthday when it came out many years back). Everyone here can hate on me but outside of the first 2 metroids I haven't been a fan of where they have been taking it at all. Muramasa and NMH remain my favorite titles on the Wii along with RE4, and SMG was a good game (yes I hated sunshine back then too and I still hate it now lol). I mean c'mon Wii has been plagued with rail shooters. Don't get me wrong I liked the House of the Dead games in the arcades back in D&B days I use to hang out with friends and stuff but that's it. Dead Space on the Wii was beyond dissapointing, and although the rest of the rail RE's on Wii weren't horrible, they still lacked alot.
Now if they are going to release other RE titles like dsc and uc they can easily use the RE4 engine and 2 player co-op both same room and online and guarantee hit as far as those franchises go, including dead space. Ninty prides itself with the Wii in the fact that they are different and are trying to offer an amazing gaming experience but they can take further advantage of what they got. When Zelda WW came out on GC I was like "oh no" then I played it.....still didn't convince me. Zelda TP on Wii visually did an impressive job, but gameplay was ok. At this point Zelda smells like a milked to hell franchise. Why? Because after the experience of Ocarina of Time the only one that I felt has come even close was Majora's Mask. Yes I also agree Halo, Final Fantasy are both milked franchises, so the Wii isn't the only one here at fault as far as the quality of games.
For example if M$ would open their eyes and realize that ONI was a good game from Bungie and could expand even further, they would most likely have a winner, especially with the 360's power.
On the other side of things we have other games Ninty could bring back and would be definite hits such as River City Ransom. I cannot stress enough how amazing that game is. For an NES game the concept remains fresh. A little cliche story but amazing execution with ....guess what...wait for it.....GAME PLAY!
Wii is on top and that has perhaps hurt a little their desire to pump out more amazing games at a steady rate. They have the money, they have an excellent piece of hardware, they have the install base....what else could they possibly ask for? See 360 and PS3 have been forced to pull out some amazing titles because they are at the bottom. Gears of War to this day is one of the best TPS with a refined cover system and fairly interesting story. Mass Effect series, LO, etc. PS3 has come out with existing long standing franchises like Ratchet and Clank, but also new ones like the Uncharted series and KZ2 which had a part 1 that was pretty much a flop in terms of what was promised. Resistance series, InFamous, Demon's Souls,etc.
I can't stress enough how being first has hurt the Wii's quality titles as they aren't first to pump out hit after hit. Yes I loved RE0 and RE1 (remake), also bringing back the MGS series to ninty's side with Twin Snakes was brilliant. Hey for all I know the Wii can pay square to bring back another great gem from the PS1 era called Brave Fencer Musashi using the Muramasa Demon Blade engine.

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
Khuutra said:

Yes!

Well, when I said you basically knew how it went already, I wasn't kidding.

For a long time there were critics (are critics) - and by critics I mean reviewers, of course, not the people who sit around and argue about meaning, though they're also critics - who hel that the Victorian froo-froo flowery language was the best way of things, and that minimalism and suggestion were the last resort of cavemen who couldn't hold pens long enough to get down and dirty with Dickens.

Fewer people said this about Hemingway himself because he was one of the true geniuses, but he had a lot of detractors at the time too

Oh I see.  Awesome.

It was even worse with Japanese poetry.

They used to have these poems that were 100 lines long, or even longer.  Oh man were they pissed when 3 line haiku came out and blew that shit out of the water.  For centuries these poems were only written by the nobility, and they'd write invitations to weddings and fancy nobility parties as poems.  And then suddenly any peasant that could read could write a 3 line haiku.  In any medium/country/era, the elites always hate accessibility; it's kinda cute.

And today the whole planet knows about haiku, and barely anybody knows what renga are.  Most people don't even know what tanka are, and those are only 5 lines long.  Accessibility wins every time; it's kinda cute.

"All around the world same song."

AAA Status is based soley on sales and reception. I think?

That's Gordon Freeman in "Real-Life"

Omega_Phazon_Pirate. said:
I consider NSMBW an AAA title yet it just lacks below 90 because of some sour whiny reviewers.

Bingo.

I'd argue that MOST Nintendo fans consider NSMBW a AAA title but because of "no online!?!?!?!" douchebag reviewers, it's not going to be reviewed on its own merits.  If I want a review of a game, I come here to vgchartz and get the opinions of the FANS.

Can anyone here think of 17 titles likely too get 90+ on metacritic? I can think of 4 or 5 in the next year tbh.

I doubt we'll see as many as we did for the cube.

It's not that there aren't good games on the Wii, it's that even if a game was absolutely perfect it would still lose 5-15 points or more just for being a Wii game. See: Tiger Woods 10, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, NSMBW.